I Just Bought The Apple Watch 3 SBSS How Durable Is The Finish

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by Soba1, May 8, 2018.

1. Soba1 macrumors regular

Soba1

So I have been reading how durable the SBSS so would like some verification on how durable the Series 3 SBSS is thanks

2. Soba1 thread starter macrumors regular

Soba1

Space Black Stainless Steel

3. Relentless Power, May 9, 2018
    Last edited: May 9, 2018

Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

If you’re seeking personal experience, the space black stainless Apple Watch is extremely durable with the diamond like carbon coating, which protects the casing. I accrued no scratches on my space black stainless watch and it is very resilient to damage. And then of course add the sapphire display, which already is very scratch resistant.

Similar thread:

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/space-black-ss-durability.2026300/

4. Soba1 thread starter macrumors regular

Soba1

Awesome, thanks

5. Beards macrumors 6502a

Beards

Relentless Power is spot on.
    The Space Black SS is exceptionally hard wearing. Leagues ahead of the aluminium and greater by a good run over the Silver SS.

6. rugmankc macrumors 68000

rugmankc

You should be able to tell us in a couple months since you already bought it---JK ;):)

7. Soba1 thread starter macrumors regular

Soba1

I tend to try n baby my electronics

8. Resqu2 macrumors 6502a

I’m in property maintenance and Fire & Rescue and going on several months and it would pass for brand new.

9. Soba1 thread starter macrumors regular

Soba1

Great thanks

10. Newtons Apple macrumors Core

Newtons Apple

You can try to baby your electronics but anything you wear will take some abuse. The black coating is awesome and holds up well

11. valenrandy macrumors regular

valenrandy

No scratches what so ever on my SBSS watch (Knock on wood). I cant say the same for the matching link bracelet as there are some small scratches on the edges. I love it though and even though my SS watch does scratch more, that is also a great looking watch.

12. Soba1 thread starter macrumors regular

Soba1

Thanks everyone; I have been reading about it. But wanted reassurance as I just purchased from Verizon and I have one more week to decide. I was considering going to the SS because u can remove the scratches easier. My son convinced me to get black it does look a lot sleeker.
    FYI I think I found a fix just in case saw a guy take the scratch out of his iPhone with it

Attached Files:

13. Relentless Power, May 10, 2018
    Last edited: May 10, 2018

Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

I don’t know your full intentions with this product, but I would _NOT_use Plastix by Meguiars, that could have a negative reaction with the oleophobic coating having any type of contact with the display, nor will that be effective on the stainless casing, as its intended only for hard/flexible Plastics, not metal. If you order the regular stainless model, then I would use a Cape Cod cloth, which is much more efficient and won’t damage the casing.

14. Soba1 thread starter macrumors regular

Soba1

Thanks noted
    --- Post Merged, May 10, 2018 ---
    I was thinking if it ever got scratched

15. canyonblue737 macrumors 6502a

I have worn the Series 3 SBSS since January 1, 2018 about 23 hours a day without exception. I have worn it on sandy beaches, ocean water, struck it against brick, sharp metal edges etc. The watch has ZERO marks on the sapphire or bezel, it looks brand new.

It's true SS is "fixable" but here is the thing... it will scratch the FIRST DAY YOU HAVE IT. It's that easily scuffed. The reality is you will allow it to get scratched up and enjoy the patina or you will be polishing it daily. SBSS isn't fixable, but it takes a rare act of God to mark it in the first place. I intend to upgrade to S4 in September and I'm certain my SBSS S3 will look brand new when I sell it this fall.