Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

I Just Bought The Apple Watch 3 SBSS How Durable Is The Finish

Soba1

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 16, 2009
So I have been reading how durable the SBSS so would like some verification on how durable the Series 3 SBSS is thanks

Relentless Power

macrumors Nehalem
Jul 12, 2016
So I have been reading how durable the SBSS so would like some verification on how durable the Series 3 SBSS is thanks

If you’re seeking personal experience, the space black stainless Apple Watch is extremely durable with the diamond like carbon coating, which protects the casing. I accrued no scratches on my space black stainless watch and it is very resilient to damage. And then of course add the sapphire display, which already is very scratch resistant.

Similar thread:

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/space-black-ss-durability.2026300/

Last edited:
Reactions: Beards

Soba1

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 16, 2009

valenrandy

macrumors regular
Jun 10, 2009
No scratches what so ever on my SBSS watch (Knock on wood). I cant say the same for the matching link bracelet as there are some small scratches on the edges. I love it though and even though my SS watch does scratch more, that is also a great looking watch.

Reactions: Lennyvalentin

Soba1

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 16, 2009
Thanks everyone; I have been reading about it. But wanted reassurance as I just purchased from Verizon and I have one more week to decide. I was considering going to the SS because u can remove the scratches easier. My son convinced me to get black it does look a lot sleeker.
FYI I think I found a fix just in case saw a guy take the scratch out of his iPhone with it

Attachments

• 43184501-4F04-4C12-AAFE-78E579EAE638.jpeg
    43184501-4F04-4C12-AAFE-78E579EAE638.jpeg
    135.9 KB · Views: 88

Relentless Power

macrumors Nehalem
Jul 12, 2016
Thanks everyone; I have been reading about it. But wanted reassurance as I just purchased from Verizon and I have one more week to decide. I was considering going to the SS because u can remove the scratches easier. My son convinced me to get black it does look a lot sleeker.
FYI I think I found a fix just in case saw a guy take the scratch out of his iPhone with it

I don’t know your full intentions with this product, but I would _NOT_use Plastix by Meguiars, that could have a negative reaction with the oleophobic coating having any type of contact with the display, nor will that be effective on the stainless casing, as its intended only for hard/flexible Plastics, not metal. If you order the regular stainless model, then I would use a Cape Cod cloth, which is much more efficient and won’t damage the casing.

Last edited:
Reactions: Soba1

Soba1

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 16, 2009
I don’t know your fill intentions with this product, but I would _NOT_use Plastix by Meguiars, that could have a negative reaction with the oleophobic coating having any type of contact with the display, nor will that be effective on the stainless casing, as its intended only for hard/flexible Plastics, not metal. If you order the regular stainless model, then I would use a Cape Cod cloth, which is much more efficient and won’t damage the casing.
Thanks noted
[doublepost=1525985237][/doublepost]
I don’t know your full intentions with this product, but I would _NOT_use Plastix by Meguiars, that could have a negative reaction with the oleophobic coating having any type of contact with the display, nor will that be effective on the stainless casing, as its intended only for hard/flexible Plastics, not metal. If you order the regular stainless model, then I would use a Cape Cod cloth, which is much more efficient and won’t damage the casing.

I was thinking if it ever got scratched

canyonblue737

macrumors 65816
Jan 10, 2005
I have worn the Series 3 SBSS since January 1, 2018 about 23 hours a day without exception. I have worn it on sandy beaches, ocean water, struck it against brick, sharp metal edges etc. The watch has ZERO marks on the sapphire or bezel, it looks brand new.

It's true SS is "fixable" but here is the thing... it will scratch the FIRST DAY YOU HAVE IT. It's that easily scuffed. The reality is you will allow it to get scratched up and enjoy the patina or you will be polishing it daily. SBSS isn't fixable, but it takes a rare act of God to mark it in the first place. I intend to upgrade to S4 in September and I'm certain my SBSS S3 will look brand new when I sell it this fall.

Reactions: Soba1
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.