I just bought the ipod touch should do i have to charge till 100%?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by xoggyux, Mar 13, 2009.

1. xoggyux macrumors 6502

I have not turned it on yet, should I charge it first or what? I cannot find instruction for it...

2. Ivan P macrumors 68030

Ivan P

It usually comes with some charge on it.

What some people do is charge it to 100%. What others do is use it until the battery dies (to calibrate it). I just use it as normal, put some music on it, listen to it for a few hours, then charge it overnight. Never, ever had any problems with losing any of the battery's capacity in doing this.

3. Topper59 macrumors member

I heard that when you get a new battery, you need to charge it a long time (overnight or something) for the first charge only, then just use it as normal.

And, if you don't use it for a long period of time, charge it every month to maintain battery life

4. Ivan P macrumors 68030

Ivan P

It's dishcarge it fully (until the device cannot even be turned on) and then recharge to 100%. It's called calibration, and is recommended even if you use it every day.

5. Brewerpaul macrumors regular

What exactly happens when you "calibrate"?

What happens if you don't do it?

Is there any way to quickly discharge the battery rather than just using the iPT until it runs down? I'd like to be able to discharge it when I want to and it's convenient to recharge as opposed to using the device and having it run down, say, in the middle of the day when I want to be using it.

6. Ivan P macrumors 68030

Ivan P

Turning auto-brightness off, turning brightness all the way up, turn auto-lock off and using battery-heavy apps like Safari or watching a Video runs it down a lot quicker than just using it normally, but there's no way to simply "discharge" it straight away.

Calibration helps keep the battery at optimum capacity by making sure the electrons keep flowing. If you only use the iPod once a month and don't calibrate, then the battery will quickly lose capacity because the electrons aren't moving. Discharging and recharging every month helps to prevent this.

7. cmichaelb macrumors 68020

cmichaelb

Conditioning the battery is great, especially that very first time with a brand new iPod.

8. quadracer111 macrumors newbie

I wouldnt bother. The ipod touch uses a Lipo (lithium polymer) battery that will always recharge to its max capacity (unless its really old) and never discharge below a certain voltage. I fly rc planes/helis and use 3s 3300mah lipo's and never do this. The batteries that you had to charge all the way then discharge all the way (the batteries that had the memory effect) were the Nicd's.