I just bought the new 15'' MBP 2.0ghz. Will this do?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by mrmuffin, Mar 30, 2011.

1. mrmuffin macrumors newbie

I just purchased this MBP, I love it but it has total on board memory for the graphics 512mb. The card is an AMD Radeon HD 6490M. This is the notebook i'm taking to college. I'm going to be doing a lot of photoshop, aftereffects, illustrator, 3ds max. If i'm focusing on a specific program at each use (not many other windows open), then will these tasks run smooth on my computer? I haven't tried any of these programs so far on it. I tried PS but not to its full capacity (intel integrated graphics). I need to upgrade my version. But until then, can anyone tell me if this is a good computer to stick with for these programs?

2. simsaladimbamba

If you use the Intel GPU, you use 256MB of the RAM, if you use the ATI GPU you use 256MB of dedicated RAM. You never have 512MB of RAM for the GPU.
    Anyway, the ATI GPU will suffice for your needs.

3. Shady Pioneer macrumors member

I'm using the same MacBook Pro for the same things, as far as Adobe Creative Suite are concerned anyway, and from what I've read on here it will be absolutely fine for those tasks.

4. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

It will be fine, but if you actually had a need for superior performance with graphics you should have bought a desktop.

5. mrmuffin thread starter macrumors newbie

i'm not sure

But I had a late 2008 MBP with 512mb for the graphics. I heard that this years is 256mb DDR5 and the late 2008 is 512mb DDR3. What's the difference? Is this years somehow more powerful? And if not should I just shed the $400, return my custom order and get the 2.2ghz model?

6. simsaladimbamba

RAM is not everything, the speed of the GPU is also important, and the ATI is faster than the 9600M GT. Also the RAM is faster (DDR5 is faster than DDR3).
    Btw, why did you buy it before you made clear it would suffice your needs, as you now seem to doubt your purchase?

7. squeakr macrumors 68000

squeakr

Get what you can afford and will make you happy. If you are having second thoughts now, it will probably only get worse later. It may be a large expense, but if the $400 will give you peace of mind it is a small price to pay. Will you be happy with what you currently have a year down the road, as you are wanting it to last? If the answer if no and you will be second guessing yourself, then make the jump. Only you know what will make you happy. Others told you it would be fine, but you are still second guessing yourself, so think about that. You only live once.

8. bubbacaster macrumors newbie

bubbacaster

IMO, unless you're a heavy-duty gamer or doing serious 3D graphic development & testing, you probably won't need the faster GPU. If you are doing a lot of 3ds Max stuff, the upgraded GPU may be of some value.

Your current system and 6490 GPU are plenty high-end enough for just about anything else...

9. DarwinOSX macrumors 65816

Its plenty for what you are doing. The only reason you would want a fast gpu with more memory is for games.