I just can't see myself buying a non-retina product in 2012 from apple

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Aluminum213, Oct 17, 2012.

1. Aluminum213 macrumors 68040

Aluminum213

I'm sure these things are going to sell like crazy but to have retina phone, tablet, laptop, then using the same old iPad 1/2 resolution isn't going to cut it

2. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Then don't. No one is going to force your hand.

3. richpuer macrumors 6502

how do u know its not gonna have retina? they havent announced official specs yet

4. Bokes macrumors 6502

it appears you have a retina 32gig already- what's the point of this thread?
    If you want a smaller e-reader get a kindle or nook HD.
    they're cheaper than any non-retina iPad will be and you'll be able to spend the $$$ you save on content- which is the reason we want these things- right?

People here seem caught up with the device itself and what it could or should do vs actually using it.

5. jmpnop macrumors 6502a

jmpnop

They don't have a shiny Apple logo:p

To the OP: Don't buy then:rolleyes:

6. Peter Harrison macrumors 6502a

Peter Harrison

Can't speak for the OP, but it definitely depends on what it's used for.

I've used iPads and Kindles and would say it depends on what you're reading. As someone who reads several PDFs a day (academic), the iPad wins hands down. The Kindles (even the Fire) is nowhere near as good for PDF documents. I'd say for standard ebook reading, the cheaper Kindles are the perfect e-readers, if you're not wanting it to do other things too. Basically, the iPad mini is still going to have iOS 6. It's going to basically be a computer. I'm considering moving from the retina iPad 32GB to the new one, but only if the new one has retina display (yeah, I know, unlikely). For me, a smaller iPad would be much better for various reasons. But the Kindles don't cut it. They will for some people, they don't for my needs.

7. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

Agreed. Personally, I'm pretty happy with my iPad 3, but if the mini has a retina screen, I would be very tempted. Oh, and it also needs to have cellular data, preferably LTE. And if I had to read PDFs, I wouldn't consider the mini, I have to zoom and scroll on the current iPad to read some PDFs, and trying to read them on the mini will drive me nuts. But fortunately, I don't have to read PDFs that often, so a mini might work for me IF IT HAD RETINA. If not, forget it, that size screen is too small for text to be comfortably legible with my eyesight.

8. Breaking Good macrumors 6502a

I'm glad I'm not the only person who wants a full powered iPad Mini.

I'd like to see an iPad Mini with an A6 chip, retina screen and 4G LTE capability.

Hopefully Apple will start with a low end model priced competitively with the Google Nexus 7 and then role out a full power model at the next refresh in the Spring.

9. JSalig macrumors 6502

Doesn't have to come with retina but at the very least I would want something on par with the Kindle Fire HD. Tablet resolutions across the board are getting incrementally better and that's as it should be.

10. cole01 macrumors 6502

I wonder if they'll do two options, one with a regular display and one higher-priced retina.

11. lulla01 macrumors 68020

lulla01

I want a powerful iPad mini not a budget device, I'm excited for the announcement.

12. 12dylan34 macrumors 6502a

Meh...I see your point, but retina is a consumerist feature. It doesn't really provide any work enhancements on computers, and sometimes just makes things harder when working with graphics.

But yes, the iPad being a totally consumer product, it better have retina.

13. Peter Harrison macrumors 6502a

Peter Harrison

Quoting myself because I've been thinking and it seems the Nexus is a lot better than the Kindle for PDFs. Obviously it's better overall, being more like an iPad than an e-reader, but the PDF aspect is what matters to me. Never used Android before (used iOS and Windows Phone mostly, which sucks tbh) but I think it could be the best choice for me. The iPad mini will probably cost £300 or £350 so it won't compete with the Nexus which costs about the same as the Kindle Fire. If Apple managed to get the iPad mini price low enough to challenge the Nexus, then I'll be impressed. But if I have to choose between £150 and £350 for a decent PDF reader, it'll be an easy decision, Apple ecosystem or not.

14. Northwestern macrumors regular

Honestly, I don't see much difference between Retina and Non-Retina. I think if you use it for surfing the web and reading ebooks it doesn't matter.

15. duggram macrumors 6502

duggram

This topic deserves discriminating taste and I'm glad you have it. But then who's keeping score?

Wow, I just noticed your sig line.

16. big samm macrumors 65816

Same here... The ipod touch the new ipad iphones and macbook pro all have retina displays... I won't buy the ipad mini if it's not retina compatible... That would be a step back for me!

17. Lindsford macrumors 6502a

Then don't?

18. xofruitcake macrumors 6502a

It is almost like the SNL skit lampooning the user reaction to Iphone 5 problem. There are first world problems and there are third world problems. The lower entry price is important to the China, Brazil, Africa, Eastern Europe, Malaysia, Philippines..... market. Not everyone can afford $400 USD for the entry price of IPAD2.. So you are basically describing your first world problem of having too much money and getting use to the retina display.. It is a good problem to have and you are clearly not the target audience of Ipad mini (or any low rent tablet or smartphone). :cool:)

19. ReValveiT macrumors regular

The Mini is unique in that it's the first Apple product that's designed and priced to compete with a lower-end market. This is brand new territory for Apple and it only makes sense that it's NOT going to be the usual 'no expense spared' product.

20. GoodBoy macrumors 6502

Who said it's no going to be retina? iPad 2's resolution put in 7" screen will probably be semi-retina. Worse than iPad 3, but better than iPad 2. I think it'll be something like 280-300 ppi.

21. WilliamLondon macrumors 68000

WilliamLondon

What about if you're reading PDFs? I'm looking for a reader than can best display PDFs, but I don't want the size of the (regular) iPad, I want the size of my (wonderful) Kindle (which I love, but displays PDFs horribly). I'm hoping a high resolution screen will enable PDF viewing on a device of this size, but you're right, for normal ebooks a retina display isn't needed. That's what my Kindle is for, so fingers crossed this new device sports an option for a retina-like display, not the iPad resolution shrunk down.

22. duggram macrumors 6502

duggram

Yes, he shouldn't buy the mini.

23. big samm macrumors 65816

Damn sure i won't buy it if it's NOT retina display, but i will if it is... I still have my first gen ipad (only non retina devices that i have) and it sucks a** compare to all my other retina devices... I can't go back!!

24. duggram macrumors 6502

duggram

If the screen is great enough to view PDFs will it make the print smaller? I like my Kindle also but sometimes I end up having to zoom in for large docs and that affects the experience. But the smaller screen does work good for ebooks and that is why I will get the mini.