I just deleted mohalfares.sparsbundle file and couldn't login to my account anymore!

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by mohalfares, Sep 17, 2009.

1. mohalfares macrumors newbie

Hi,

I was noticing this file a while ago: "mohalfares.sparsbundle" , and that it's taking more than 90GB of my hard disk space.

So I started to google it, in order to know what is it and is it safe to delete. From what I read, and what I understood, that it's just an encrypted copy of all my data using FileVault which is turned on on my account, and that it's safe to remove.

But I guess some people were wrong. It's not safe to remove. Once I removed it and I emptied the trash, I couldn't login to my account anymore. I keep getting a message that says: "You cannot login to this FileVault account at the moment. Error Occurred"

This is I tried to do so far:

• I tried Disk Rescue II in order to recover the sparsbundle file but it coudn't find it
    • I'm logged now into root account, and when I click on my user account under Users folder, nothing there!

What is really strange to me, is why Apple made it possible to delete such a file without even a warning!

Also, isn't there a way to fix this or at least get my data back?

Was my data written and encrypted in that file, or it was just a copy and the data is somewhere else?

2. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

The sparsbundle is a sparse disk image (meaning it can change sizes and necessary, and the space when not filled with data, does actually exist). It was where all of your user info was stored, otherwise filevault would not have mattered, because anyone could find your information on your HD. I believe that when you are logged in, it is expanded, and appears as the proper folders on your computer, then when you log out, it is returned to its encrypted state. I doubt you can recover it.

TEG

3. mohalfares thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks TEG

I just wonder why Apple makes this sparsbundle file removable if it causes to lose all your data!

I'm still trying with Dis Rescue II now

4. 173080 macrumors 6502

If one is already encrypting something with FileVault, that something might need to be wiped quickly in some situations. ;)

5. mohalfares thread starter macrumors newbie

I won't mind making it possible to wipe that something out, but give an alert at least!

6. mohalfares thread starter macrumors newbie

I could find the sparsbundle using Disk Rescue II , but it's total size not even more than 1GB while the one I deleted was more than 90GB

What does this mean?

7. ayeying macrumors 601

ayeying

You have FileVault enabled. When you deleted your original sparseimage file and you logged on, a new one is created, overwriting your original one.

Sorry to say, but I think you lost all data there.