I just don't get it.

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Deeds500, Oct 25, 2014.

1. Deeds500 macrumors regular

Sure, when people buy an ipad, they buy it in the knowledge that it is, on the whole, a 2 handed device. Yet nobody complains about it being a 2 handed device once they start using it out of the store. Have you ever read a complaint on here about the ipad requiring 2 hands? I can't say that I have. When using an ipad or ipad mini, it requires the use of 2 hands when performing certain tasks. Yet nobody seems to have an issue with that. However, perform the same tasks on a Plus, and people feel the need to complain that you need 2 hands to use it.

Is it because people take the view that one is a phone and the other is a tablet and are therefore of the mindset that one should be for 1 handed use whilst the other should be for 2 handed use? Even if that were the case, it still boils down to the fact that when using an ipad, you will more often than not use both your hands, whether it's your mindset or not that it is a 2 handed device.

Is it because the phone is the device you take with you when you go out whilst the ipad is the device you use when you are at home? I don't think so. I see more and more people on the train using ipads and Apple itself has promoted the ipad as the device you can take anywhere and "is meant to be used".

I just don't get it.

2. jim.hickman.777 macrumors regular

I've never used one hand I have arthritis so it makes it hard for me to do

3. bruce0987 macrumors member

Yes. People are just not used to using both hands/takes too much effort or is difficult to use, for example coffee cup in one hand and you need to answer a call, or using the phone standing in the bus. Now I don't really have a problem with this as I have basketball hands and can one hand the plus for most general use.

4. deeddawg macrumors 604

IMHO you're looking at two different, overlapping use cases.

A "phone" has a number of uses where one-handed use is (if you'll pardon the pun) pretty handy. Making a phone call, switching music, quick check of weather, etc.

Still, to the point I don't see a basis for much complaint about any difficulties in one handed use of a larger device.

"You knew what I was when you picked me up" -- The Indian and the Snake.

5. From A Buick 8 macrumors 68040

From A Buick 8

This is just Apples first 2 handed phone, folks will get used to it over time.

If you just accept the fact that the 6+ is a 2 handed phone then those few times that you can get what you need done with 1 one hand are just a bonus.

6. bruce0987 macrumors member

Inevitably it will be more difficult to perform those same tasks on a large device because of back button being on the top left or trying to reach the home button.

I agree with you that people are over exaggerating the issue, but I see that it can be a problem for some that will probably go away in the next few months if they still have that problem.

If I take your pun literally yes you'll have to squirm your hand just to get to different parts of the screen in one hand. The 6 plus is a tall order for a phone compared to say the nexus 6 that is 6" screen, so there is room for improvement.

7. deeddawg macrumors 604

I sure hope so, else it's going to be really boring around here next September. :cool:

My personal decision was to stick to the 6 rather than the 6+ largely because the situations where the size would be detrimental outnumber the situations where it'd be advantageous for my needs. Others will arrive at a different answer for their needs. Either way, people should know what they're getting into when they buy the device. If they bought a device that doesn't fit their needs they have only themselves to blame. Wishing for things to be different and hoping they change in future releases is great, complaining about it is a waste of breath though. Vote with your wallet.

8. 617aircav Suspended

You would have to be stupid to buy a device and complain about it, when you can just return it.

9. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

"I just don't get it, somebody has a different opinion than I do... crazy!"

10. deeddawg macrumors 604

They must be iSheep following blindly. How could they possibly not see it my way?

11. bunnicula macrumors 68040

bunnicula

You don't get that some people prefer a one-handed device?

Why?

I mean, I have a plus and don't mind using two hands. I've always used 2 hands for texting and such anyway.

But, some people have always used one hand with their phones and they prefer it. Nothing wrong with that.

12. deeddawg macrumors 604

I read the OP as not understanding why people buy something that's clearly going to be challenging to use one handed, and then complaining that it's challenging to use one handed.

Essentially "you knew what it was when you bought it, so whatcha britching about?"

I could be wrong of course. Happens sometimes. :D

13. JonMPLS, Oct 25, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 25, 2014

JonMPLS macrumors 65816

5S owner here, still on the fence regarding the choice of 6 or 6Plus. For me, one-hand became a habit. Standing in line at the airport, checking email while eating lunch, etc. Not saying this is a good habit, but it is a habit. For me, the 6 would not change this habit at all.

The 6 Plus, on the other hand, would change an old habit for me. Example: I can easily type in a password with my left thumb on either the 5 or 6. I cannot reach the full keyboard on the 6Plus.

Still might go this way, but not quite sure. Checking them out on every trip to the Apple store, so once they actually have stock will be upgrading for sure!

14. Surf Monkey macrumors 68020

Surf Monkey

Saying that the 6 Plus is a "two handed device" is a questionable proposition in the first place. In my (anecdotal) experience 90 or so percent of what I do on it can be achieved with one hand. Concurrently, while the 5 series was much smaller plenty of people used two hands with it all the time. In my estimation the whole "issue" is very much a case of people actively looking for something to complain about.

15. bunnicula macrumors 68040

bunnicula

Ahhh. And I may have read it wrong. Happens sometimes. :D

----------

Actually, I can do a number of things one-handed with the 6+. Answer the phone, open an app, etc.

16. Surf Monkey macrumors 68020

Surf Monkey

That's what I just said. I do almost everything one handed with my 6 Plus.

17. bunnicula macrumors 68040

bunnicula

Ack, sorry. I understood you. Meant to say I could ALSO use it one-handed.

18. Surf Monkey macrumors 68020

Surf Monkey

Right on. We agree.

19. Surf Monkey macrumors 68020

Surf Monkey

6 Plus = Luxury yacht. 6 Minus = Dingy.

20. impulse462 Suspended

impulse462

Sorry, I don't have room to use a boat as a phone. Also 6-? idk what that is?

21. mightyjabba macrumors 65816

mightyjabba

I use the 6 Plus one-handed for lots of stuff, and without Reachability in most cases (I don't really like the feature, and I also find that I often have to do the double tap multiple times for it to actually register). If I'm sitting down, I can hold the phone like the first image below and still reach the entire screen. That is a little unstable, so if I'm standing or walking, I put the bottom of the phone against my stomach/chest for extra support. I find this very comfortable, actually.

Attached Files:

22. Surf Monkey macrumors 68020

Surf Monkey

Oops. My mistake. I meant 6 Major and 6 Minor.

23. impulse462 Suspended

impulse462

If you have the hands for it, more power to you. The screen is great on it, especially the 400 ppi.

I'm sorry, I'm not familiar with the products of which you speak. You might want to do some research.

24. Surf Monkey macrumors 68020

Surf Monkey

Right. The "boat guy" doesn't have a sense of humor. I'll bear that in mind next time.