I just erased all settings and data (phone is JB w/ Spirit) now stuck on apple logo

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by VeNoMiZeD, Jun 21, 2010.

1. VeNoMiZeD macrumors 6502

I was ready to walk out the house to ship the phone because it was just sold on Ebay. The day before I JB'd the phone with Spirit. Everything worked fine. So all I wanted to do was delete my settings and data that is on my phone, so that the new buyer does have access. Everything was going in process for the wiping, then all of the sudden it just stayed stuck on the apple logo. I tried the home+reset hold both buttons and all it does is reset and goes back to the Apple logo. How can I fix this? Thanks!

2. hexonxonx macrumors 601

You have to restore the iPhone now since this process also erases the OS.

3. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

Your only choice is to restore in DFU mode. Don’t ever erase all again unless you’re giving the phone to Apple. Hopefully, you can get the phone in the condition the buyer wanted it in. Wiped was not it.

4. VeNoMiZeD thread starter macrumors 6502

5. hexonxonx macrumors 601

What Aggie said above... DFU mode and restore.

6. VeNoMiZeD thread starter macrumors 6502

So if I hold the power button, it wont turn off. If I hold the power button + home button, it resets and goes back to the apple logo.

7. VeNoMiZeD thread starter macrumors 6502

So I was finally able to get to the restore button on Itunes. Everything was running and at the end I get this message:

"The Iphone "Iphone" could not be restored. This device isn't eligible for the requested build."

What now?

8. hexonxonx macrumors 601

You have no choice but to restore to the current firmware version. This is what the message is telling you.

9. cmmoreno macrumors newbie

I have same problem

I erased all settings and data, I can not restore firmware in DFU mode either because it can not be verify by Apple
    any idea to restore firmware bypassing Apple verification ??

10. VeNoMiZeD thread starter macrumors 6502

That's exactly what happened to me. I gave up and just restored it at the Apple store. They had no problems doing it. I lost all my contacts and stuff that was on the phone. But I have the Iphone 4 coming on Thursday, Im hoping when I connect back with it on Itunes my other backups are still there. They should be, so Im not really worried.

11. chargit macrumors 6502a

chargit

there needs to be a sticky so all of these dumb moves will go away! the reset all settings option should be deleted!! some dude on another thread just suggested to another guy to do that cause he wanted to erase his contacts. there needs to be a thread with all the NO NO's with no comments so everyone could read and actually learn how to use their iphone.

this is NUTS!

12. caligurl macrumors 68030

caligurl

ok... so if I want to reset my 3GS to sell it what EXACTLY (for dummies version) do I do?

13. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

If you haven’t jailbroken it, then *erase all content and then restore and setup as new.

If you have jailbroken, then restore and setup as new.

*I’m still wary of doing an erase all content, but others are saying this works fine, so do so at your own risk. It is the only guaranteed way to not have any personal info on the phone, but I doubt anyone could find the info if you just setup as new.