I Just got a Brand New Pair of KRK RP8s for 389.99 out the door!!!!

Discussion in 'Digital Audio' started by theapex, Feb 14, 2008.

1. theapex macrumors regular

Could not believe it! Guitar Center matched the price. It was awesome. And I have 30 days to come back and pay $70 for a 2 year replacement warranty.

I am so excited right now. I can't even believe. it!!!!

So...I have my external firewire hard drive and my monitors (I have had the computer and the software (Logic Studio 8) for a while now.)

Now all I have to do is make a final decision on the audio interface. Leaning heavily toward the Tascam 1082 or the 1884. I really want the 1884, but it is alot more expensive that I'd like to pay.

HELP!!!!!!

Can't wait to get some music done so you guys can listen and tell me what you think.

2. Drumjim85 macrumors 68030

Drumjim85

guitar center always matches prices .... but that is a pretty good deal (hope they weren't the display models...

3. theapex thread starter macrumors regular

nope they were not. The display models were in exactly the same place that they were when I got to the store. He thought he had two on the floor in the box, but he didn't he just got them from the back. They were still in the box that they were shipped to guitar center in. (the brown box with the krk tape all around the edges.) inside of the brown box was another sealed black box with the krk speakers inside. still taped up in the soft foam wrap.

don't try to steal my shine man!!!!

just joking. i know you didn't mean any harm.

4. Drumjim85 macrumors 68030

Drumjim85

If i wanted to steal your shine, I wouldn't have deleted the rest of my comments .... but i figured it wouldn't be fare to you...

5. theapex thread starter macrumors regular

In all honesty...I actually would like to know what those other comments were.

It's all good though buddy. I was not trying to be mean or anything when I said that about "stealing my shine".

But for real, what were the comments?

6. Joko macrumors 6502

Joko

The Apogee Duet interface is awesome, works natively with Logic 8 which I have too. MBP + Logic 8 + Apogee Duet = Awesome.

7. theapex thread starter macrumors regular

8. Drumjim85 macrumors 68030

Drumjim85

no, the duet is just a sound card, not a control surface..

I think the tascam is going to be the best deal for what you're looking for ...
    But if you do find that you want a better sounding card, AND a control surface... Look into getting the Mackie control Pro (?? they just changed the name, and i think thats it)...

the other comment was: "I wouldn't be too excited, they're just KRK" ;):D
    I guess for the price they're decent, and that was probably what your budget allowed for, so i didn't say that....

9. theapex thread starter macrumors regular

based on the research I did..the krk's where the best decision....unless I wanted to end up spending at least $1000.

But thanks bro for your comments. how much does that mackie control pro sell for?

10. theapex thread starter macrumors regular

whoa dude. that thing is over $1000. I can't do that right now. Maybe after I sell some tracks or something....

11. Drumjim85 macrumors 68030

Drumjim85

right, like i said, i think the tascam is the best choice for you right now... but it might not be the best sounding card.... (converters, preamps.... )

12. theapex thread starter macrumors regular

actually today I have been reading up alot on the alesis i/o 26. have yall heard much about that...in consideration of what I am trying to do?

13. Cycom macrumors 6502

Cycom

KRK's are pretty good. They're nice and boomy (though too colored for accurate mixing IMO). Still, you got a good deal on them, man.

Your next step up will be a pair of ADAM A7's. $1000 for a pair will give you THE sweetest high end and mid levels in ANY monitors at this price range. I own a pair and am stunned at how well my mixes sound on other sources.

14. Drumjim85 macrumors 68030

Drumjim85

now adam does make a good set of speakers ... the highs are sweet (and maybe just a little harsh...) due to the tweeter being a ribbon..

we just got the p33.s in one of our studios...

15. Cycom macrumors 6502

Cycom

Ahh....lucky bastard! How are you liking them so far?

16. Drumjim85 macrumors 68030

Drumjim85

i don't work on them very often (if ever), but the guy who does loves them ... although, like i said, the highs might take a little getting used to ...
    I work a lot on the HD-1s, and if not that, then the custom mains we have in Studio A (built by RBDG)

17. theapex thread starter macrumors regular

well guys I am used to mixing on some Sony headphones ($20.00) from Wal-Mart. And my stuff usually comes out sounding pretty good on other sources.

I read this information during my research.

If you can get good mixes on crappy equipment then once you get quality stuff it will be even that much better. I will learn the monitors and adjust accordingly...

I just wish I could make a solid decision on this interface, daw controller, mixer situation.

It is really starting to bother me. Trying to decide between these 3:

Tascam 1082
    Tascam 1884
    Alesis IO 26

18. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

+1 on the adams. i'm really digging my focals, as well.

19. theapex thread starter macrumors regular

ARE THEY WORTH THE $500 DIFFERENCE (IN MY CASE....$600 DIFFERENCE) BETWEEN THEM AND THE KRK RP8?

SOMEONE HELP ME ON THIS INTERFACE SITUATION. LOL>:confused::eek:

20. Cycom macrumors 6502

Cycom

The A7's are worth at least twice what they retail for, so yes, they are more than worth extra money over those KRK's. If you can, theapex, try to find a shop that carries them and find out for yourself.

I went to RSPE in Los Angeles and compared the A7's to their counterparts (Genelec, etc...) and the ADAMs absolutely embarrassed the other monitors. Needless to say that I purchased a pair the very same day. Man oh man do they sound cleeeeeeeean.

21. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

...which would put them at the same price as the focal solo 6's and adam p11a's. i like the a7's more than the p11a's, but not more than the solo 6's. i don't think $1500 is too much for the a7's, and at $1000/pr they're an absolute bargain.