I just got a Quad G5 for £15!!

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by SuperKerem, Apr 8, 2015.

1. SuperKerem, Apr 8, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 8, 2015

SuperKerem macrumors 6502a

SuperKerem

Ok, basically I was browsing around eBay when I saw an auction for a Power Mac G5 which was about to end. The seller was unaware it was a quad, he probably didn't know much about computers. When bidding I didn't know it was a Quad either, but I could tell from the photos it was a Late 2005 model because of the 3 USB ports on the back, so I bid anyway because at the worst it would be a dual 2Ghz.
    I won it for £15 and the seller lives in the same area as me!
    Last month I got a Quad for £50 and I thought THAT was a steal!
    (I will be putting one of the 2 Quads up on eBay for cheap, feel free to send me any offers)

2. ptdebate macrumors 6502

ptdebate

Lucky find! I got my dual 2.7 G5 for $50 a while back and I though that was a good deal. I'd totally want to buy it from you if I lived in the UK!

3. eyoungren macrumors Core

eyoungren

I would PM you an offer, but you are across the pond and the last time I sent something across the pond it was a video card and cost the buyer over $60US.

I don't want to think what the cost would be to ship a Quad G5. :eek:

4. stewart1981 macrumors member

What would you be after and where in the UK are you? I'm in Doncaster.

5. SuperKerem thread starter macrumors 6502a

SuperKerem

Yeah, it's a shame the large majority of the people on this forum are from the US! I reckon the shipping cost would be more than the actual cost of the system, even a quad! :mad:

----------

Well, I'm down in London. You're about a 3hr drive away, or you could arrange shipping. Would £90 be a good price for a quad? Could anyone help out with the value because I'm not 100% sure.
    The reason I got the pair for such a cheap price is because almost every day I check prices on eBay for a few minutes and hope I get lucky. Because these systems were only sold up till 2006 most people don't see a difference between the different models. These listings for quad G5s pop up about once every 2-3 months or so.
    However, there are many sellers who list quads knowing their true value and include it in the description etc. and these ones go for around £80-£120.
    Let me know what you think! :apple:

6. MagicBoy macrumors 68040

MagicBoy

7. stewart1981 macrumors member

That seems a fair price but to either drive down or sort shipping will make it more than I can afford (or my wife would let me spend....). Thanks for the swift reply and you deserve to find a buyer with the work you've done getting them.

I know a few people who are interested in PowerPC's. If any express interest I'll put them your way.

8. LightBulbFun macrumors 68000

LightBulbFun

Looking at where I live... Id love a Quad (I even offered my MBP for your other one in the other topic) But Like I said there I cant come and Collect due to medical problems (and Im not sure if i even have space for another G5 But man a Quad so tempting LOL )

9. SuperKerem thread starter macrumors 6502a

SuperKerem

That's a shame, but let me know if you change your mind! :p

----------

If you live in London, I could drop it off for £10-£20 extra depending on how far you are!

10. tevion5 macrumors 68000

tevion5

I'd love one of these. I just don't have the cash yet -_-

11. LightBulbFun macrumors 68000

LightBulbFun

is it £10-20 Extra plus the Macbook pro for it or £15 plus £10-20 for it? (Im in east London if that helps. if we are actually going through with this ill PM you my Addy etc)

12. SuperKerem, Apr 9, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 9, 2015

SuperKerem thread starter macrumors 6502a

SuperKerem

I mentioned to stewart1981 that I'm offering it for £90. Because driving will take a while, each mile would be an extra £10.
    e.g. £20 delivery for a 2 mile drive, including the quad that would be £110.

If you include the MPB I can make it £50 for the quad and free delivery for a few miles. :p

13. LightBulbFun macrumors 68000

LightBulbFun

Oh ok understood, Sadly I cant go through with the deal (not that its a bad deal its Im Kinda broke ATM So I can only Pay in computers/computer parts) Im not even sure if I have space for another G5 (its why i took the sawtooth apart to save space) But yeah id Love a quad at some point heh currently im happy with my Dual 2Ghz 7,3 G5 heh

14. SuperKerem thread starter macrumors 6502a

SuperKerem

Aw, that's a shame. :(

15. LightBulbFun macrumors 68000

LightBulbFun

maybe some other time in the future or something as right now i cant do it for £50 if you have any ideas let me know heh

16. SuperKerem thread starter macrumors 6502a

SuperKerem

I mean you could put it another way...
    £30 for the Quad and £20 for delivery :p

17. LightBulbFun macrumors 68000

LightBulbFun

Like I said Normally id be all over this but I just dont have the money atm im afraid... (and I am trying to save up for a Mac pro as my main machine is on its last legs) the Best I can offer is my MBP and to cover the £50 a Gigadesgines 7455B singal CPU upgrade for a sawtooth to quicksilver (chip is rated for 1.25Ghz but factory OC to 1.4Ghz and it runs at 1.5Ghz for me np) but I dont know if that interests you

18. SuperKerem thread starter macrumors 6502a

SuperKerem

Don't worry man, unfortunately I don't have a G4 atm anyways :(
    I would do the same thing as you - get a good main machine first! :apple:

19. SuperKerem thread starter macrumors 6502a

SuperKerem