I just got an i5 Imac 2.8 ghz....now I hear a new sandy bridge Imac is coming....

Discussion in 'iMac' started by hipnotizer, Apr 11, 2011.

  1. hipnotizer macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Apr 11, 2011
    #1
    I am new to the world of Apple and unfamiliar with their release schedule. I am wondering if I should keep this, exchange it for an i7 or wait for Sandy Bridge. I use my computer for video and sound editing, website work, audio recording and gaming. It's basically a work/fun machine.

    Any recommendations?

    How much of a performance difference would their be between these machines? I appreciate any help. Thanks.
     
  2. DesmoPilot macrumors 65816

    Joined:
    Feb 18, 2008
    #2
    Well SB has been available for a couple months now, so it really isn't a secret. Basic rule of thumb, if the technology is available be prepared for an update.

    SB is roughly 10-20% faster then its 1156 counterpart.
     
  3. scottp78 macrumors member

    Joined:
    Mar 15, 2011
    #3
    Sandy Bridge for Video editting will be a major bost in rendering!! I would return and wait for the sandy Bridge!!!
     
  4. Austinjwalker macrumors member

    Joined:
    Apr 11, 2011
    Location:
    Arkansas
    #4

    Yea, you're probably in the minority of people that will actually take the most advantage of the performance boosts.
     
  5. scottp78 macrumors member

    Joined:
    Mar 15, 2011
    #5
    If the Update was not around the corner I would say keep it but at this point it is with in a month based on the last rumor. That is why I would have to say return and wait. If all you did was internet. I would not say that. but when you are talking anything with rendering and that was one of the major updates to the new Sandy Bridge CPU why not wait.

    For the same or about the same $ you will get more for your money!
     
  6. hipnotizer thread starter macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Apr 11, 2011
    #6
    Thanks

    Seems to be the best bet I suppose. I agree that I will make use of the extra processing speed. And if it is just a month away I can wait!
     
  7. scottp78 macrumors member

    Joined:
    Mar 15, 2011
    #7
    just to say! I cant prove anything on the month away but about 1 1/2 weeks ago there was a rumor that the imac was 4 to 6 weeks away.

    We are all here wishing sooner!!
     

Share This Page