I just got my first txt from ATT saying i went over 3gb of data

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Theraker007, May 22, 2012.

1. Theraker007 macrumors regular

It says continuing to do so in future cycles blah blah ill get throttled. My question is: can i continue to use it as much as i need in "this" cycle and be ok?

2. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

It doesn't matter. You're going to be throttled soon. You can continue to use it as much as you want, but your ability to "use" it will be severely hampered by the throttling, of course.

3. sviato macrumors 68020

sviato

because 3gb is a lot right :rolleyes:

4. OceanView macrumors 65816

Are you the data police?
    Who gives a crap what he uses his data for?
    3GB is not a lot.

OP, please let us know if you get throttled and at what speeds AT&T throttled you to.

5. Jedii macrumors regular

What i wanna know is how you bloody Yanks manage to use so much bloody data? i'm based in the UK, and the only thing i hear is about data limits from you lot ( not an insult, i assure you ) but how can use so much data?

I've had my iPhone 4S since released and only used 2.1GB combined ( 440MB sent, 1.7GB received ) :)

6. thelatinist macrumors 603

thelatinist

Oh, of course not an insult. How could calling people "bloody Yanks" possibly be interpreted as an insult. :rolleyes:

7. Spectrum Abuser macrumors 65816

Spectrum Abuser

Bigger is better in America! Just ask all of our 'folk that drive the big SUV gas-guzzling machines. :p

8. briantaylor619 macrumors member

Bigger is almost never better. Examples include the obesity epidemic, 4.50/gal gas prices, and the ever increasing U.S. deficit ;)

9. Spectrum Abuser macrumors 65816

Spectrum Abuser

/Sarcasm

10. luked14 macrumors 6502

I just got throttled by AT&T for the first time this month, and I tested my download speeds in areas with great service and I was consistently getting about .09 Mbps. How is that even usable?

11. briantaylor619 macrumors member

Of course it's usable, what do you think people used for mobile data before 3G existed?

12. Calidude macrumors 68000

Calidude

Jailbreak your phone. Install Adblocking. Problem solved.

Apple should be giving users weapons against these crappy carriers, though, like Android's data monitor.

13. MassiveAttack macrumors 6502a

Normal Sprint 3G is just as bad as throttled AT&T 3G data and Sprint customers not only say they have no issues they are more than happy :confused:

14. ayeying macrumors 601

ayeying

So little.. I have

Sent: 2.1GB
    Received: 39.2GB

since iPhone 4S was released.

It's a smart phone, might as well use it...

15. cyks macrumors 68020

cyks

It's easy. Just watch a lot of videos or listen to podcasts when WiFi isn't an option and one can go over the limits very quickly.

16. LIVEFRMNYC macrumors 603

I use 3gb and above monthly, I never got warned yet. Do you tether a lot? Just asking, cause maybe those are the ones they jump on first.

17. WhoAmI2 macrumors member

Sure he can but he shouldn't complain when he gets throttled.

It can't be because it's not.

18. Jedii macrumors regular

Bloody yanks..

19. farmermac macrumors 6502a

Its the buffet mentality. Do you have all you can at buffets in the uk?

Once you have something and it gets restricted and the new option costs more money, it's a tough pill to swallow.

20. iproductsuser macrumors 6502a

I got the message today also but today is the last day of the billing cycle. Shouldn't be an issue this upcoming month, I hope.

21. chokem macrumors 6502

+1. My son streams YouTube much of the day at work, no wifi. He used 6.6GB last month.

22. LIVEFRMNYC macrumors 603

Before 3G, mobile usage was different. You didn't have many streaming apps like Netflix, Slingbox, Face chatting, etc. Then you have apps like Dropbox. And people download alot of music, podcasts, etc.

Speeds below 3G would be usable only for browsing, email, maps, and small downloads/syncs. Wouldn't be usable for multimedia purposes, which are half of what most smartphones are nowadays.

23. briantaylor619 macrumors member

If the only thing you can't do is use applications that gulp down data (the whole reason you're throttled in the first place) then quit using those applications till the end of your monthly cycle. 2g for email, web browsing, and map directions is perfectly usable.

24. LIVEFRMNYC macrumors 603

That's ridiculous. I shouldn't be limited in usage. Carriers choose to sell these phones and have no problem advertising all the things they can do(including showing off apps that require good bandwidth).

Web Browsing is usable on 2G but sucks compare to 3G and up. Maps on 2G can also be slow at times. Email is perfectly fine on 2G with the exception of those that are html or downloading attachments.

25. cyks macrumors 68020

cyks

...and you CAN do any of those things that they show, you'll just have to pay for the data it uses.

At least it's not like the automotive industry- where they show cars driving at excessive speeds, on nearly impossible terrain, or drifting/ joyriding on the salt flats or freshly rained asphalt... things you legally can NOT use said car for.