I just got my first txt from ATT saying i went over 3gb of data

Theraker007

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 3, 2009
It says continuing to do so in future cycles blah blah ill get throttled. My question is: can i continue to use it as much as i need in "this" cycle and be ok?

-aggie-

macrumors P6
Jun 19, 2009
Where bunnies are welcome.
It doesn't matter. You're going to be throttled soon. You can continue to use it as much as you want, but your ability to "use" it will be severely hampered by the throttling, of course.

Comment

OceanView

macrumors 65816
Sep 16, 2005
Are you the data police?
Who gives a crap what he uses his data for?
3GB is not a lot.

OP, please let us know if you get throttled and at what speeds AT&T throttled you to.

Comment

Jedii

macrumors regular
Jan 20, 2012
What i wanna know is how you bloody Yanks manage to use so much bloody data? i'm based in the UK, and the only thing i hear is about data limits from you lot ( not an insult, i assure you ) but how can use so much data?

I've had my iPhone 4S since released and only used 2.1GB combined ( 440MB sent, 1.7GB received ) :)

Comment

thelatinist

macrumors 603
Aug 15, 2009
Connecticut, USA
What i wanna know is how you bloody Yanks manage to use so much bloody data? i'm based in the UK, and the only thing i hear is about data limits from you lot ( not an insult, i assure you ) but how can use so much data?
Oh, of course not an insult. How could calling people "bloody Yanks" possibly be interpreted as an insult. :rolleyes:

Comment

Spectrum Abuser

macrumors 65816
Aug 27, 2011

I've had my iPhone 4S since released and only used 2.1GB combined ( 440MB sent, 1.7GB received ) :)
Bigger is better in America! Just ask all of our 'folk that drive the big SUV gas-guzzling machines. :p

Comment

luked14

macrumors 6502
Aug 1, 2010
I just got throttled by AT&T for the first time this month, and I tested my download speeds in areas with great service and I was consistently getting about .09 Mbps. How is that even usable?

Comment

briantaylor619

macrumors member
May 15, 2012
I just got throttled by AT&T for the first time this month, and I tested my download speeds in areas with great service and I was consistently getting about .09 Mbps. How is that even usable?
Of course it's usable, what do you think people used for mobile data before 3G existed?

Comment

Calidude

macrumors 68000
Jun 22, 2010
Jailbreak your phone. Install Adblocking. Problem solved.

Apple should be giving users weapons against these crappy carriers, though, like Android's data monitor.

Comment

ayeying

macrumors 601
Dec 5, 2007
Yay Area, CA

So little.. I have

Sent: 2.1GB
Received: 39.2GB

since iPhone 4S was released.

It's a smart phone, might as well use it...

Comment

cyks

macrumors 68020
Jul 24, 2002
Westchester County, NY

It's easy. Just watch a lot of videos or listen to podcasts when WiFi isn't an option and one can go over the limits very quickly.

Comment

LIVEFRMNYC

macrumors 604
Oct 27, 2009
I use 3gb and above monthly, I never got warned yet. Do you tether a lot? Just asking, cause maybe those are the ones they jump on first.

Comment

farmermac

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2009
Iowa

Its the buffet mentality. Do you have all you can at buffets in the uk?

Once you have something and it gets restricted and the new option costs more money, it's a tough pill to swallow.

Comment

iproductsuser

macrumors 6502a
Apr 13, 2012
I got the message today also but today is the last day of the billing cycle. Shouldn't be an issue this upcoming month, I hope.

Comment

LIVEFRMNYC

macrumors 604
Oct 27, 2009
Of course it's usable, what do you think people used for mobile data before 3G existed?
Before 3G, mobile usage was different. You didn't have many streaming apps like Netflix, Slingbox, Face chatting, etc. Then you have apps like Dropbox. And people download alot of music, podcasts, etc.

Speeds below 3G would be usable only for browsing, email, maps, and small downloads/syncs. Wouldn't be usable for multimedia purposes, which are half of what most smartphones are nowadays.

Comment

briantaylor619

macrumors member
May 15, 2012
Before 3G, mobile usage was different. You didn't have many streaming apps like Netflix, Slingbox, Face chatting, etc. Then you have apps like Dropbox. And people download alot of music, podcasts, etc.

Speeds below 3G would be usable only for browsing, email, maps, and small downloads/syncs. Wouldn't be usable for multimedia purposes, which are half of what most smartphones are nowadays.
If the only thing you can't do is use applications that gulp down data (the whole reason you're throttled in the first place) then quit using those applications till the end of your monthly cycle. 2g for email, web browsing, and map directions is perfectly usable.

Comment

LIVEFRMNYC

macrumors 604
Oct 27, 2009
If the only thing you can't do is use applications that gulp down data (the whole reason you're throttled in the first place) then quit using those applications till the end of your monthly cycle. 2g for email, web browsing, and map directions is perfectly usable.
That's ridiculous. I shouldn't be limited in usage. Carriers choose to sell these phones and have no problem advertising all the things they can do(including showing off apps that require good bandwidth).

Web Browsing is usable on 2G but sucks compare to 3G and up. Maps on 2G can also be slow at times. Email is perfectly fine on 2G with the exception of those that are html or downloading attachments.

Comment

cyks

macrumors 68020
Jul 24, 2002
Westchester County, NY
That's ridiculous. I shouldn't be limited in usage. Carriers choose to sell these phones and have no problem advertising all the things they can do(including showing off apps that require good bandwidth).

Web Browsing is usable on 2G but sucks compare to 3G and up. Maps on 2G can also be slow at times. Email is perfectly fine on 2G with the exception of those that are html or downloading attachments.
...and you CAN do any of those things that they show, you'll just have to pay for the data it uses.

At least it's not like the automotive industry- where they show cars driving at excessive speeds, on nearly impossible terrain, or drifting/ joyriding on the salt flats or freshly rained asphalt... things you legally can NOT use said car for.

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.