I just installed 4 gigs of ram in my MBP!!!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by gt40x4, Mar 9, 2010.

1. gt40x4 macrumors member

gt40x4

As the title says I have just installed 4 gigs of ram in my late 2009 macbook pro about 2 minutes ago and immediately noticed a difference. I am very happy with the ram A+. It is the Crucial 1066 mghz 2x2gb sticks of ram ordered off of amazon for $100.00. If you have an extra benjaman burning a hole in your pocket, this is the upgrade for you. you WILL notice a speed increase, and it is very simple to do!!:)

2. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

Good for you!
    Upgrading your RAM is probably the cheapest and easiest way to boost performance

3. gwsat macrumors 68000

gwsat

I concur. I recently upgraded my MBP's RAM from 2 to 6 gig because I was having trouble with both the speed and stability of Windows running in a VMware Fusion virtual machine. The improvement was dramatic and immediate. Now I routinely run Fusion in Unity mode so that I can access every Windows application from the OS X desktop. I have been satisfied with the speed of the Windows apps and they have been perfectly stable.

4. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

Definitely worth the upgrade if you are virtualizing Windows with either Parallels or Fusion... dramatic improvements

5. Jazwire macrumors 6502a

Jazwire

I just went from 4 to 8 and was amazed at the difference.
    I use parallels a lot, it's night and day difference, I wasn't expecting as big of a boost as I got.

6. silverblack macrumors 68030

silverblack

Both SSDs and 8GB DDR3 cost about the same ($300-400). I wonder which would give a better overall improvement, providing the snappy feel.

7. gwsat macrumors 68000

gwsat

It would depend on what apps you were running. Windows running in either Fusion of Parallels virtual machines are notorious memory hogs. Thus, I suspect that adding memory would do more for Windows apps than a faster drive. That's speculation, though, because I am still using the same old 160 gig drive that came installed on my MBP.

8. nigameash macrumors 6502

nice! I myself am planning on upgrading my mbp from 4 to 6 gigs of ram, perhaps even 8 if the price is right in a few months time

9. cswee10582 macrumors newbie

I upgraded my 2 week old 13" MBP after the first week from 2gb to 4gb, also upgraded her unibody macbook from 2gb to 4gb....seems to be a nice speed gain in apps and overall performance! LOVE THIS THING!