I just installed an ssd on my 27'' iMac Mid 2010.What about trim?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by triggerman, Jan 22, 2012.

1. triggerman, Jan 22, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 22, 2012

triggerman macrumors newbie

Ok i follow some of the guides to install an ssd drive to my mid 2010 iMac and everything is fine.The ssd is an OCZ VERTEX 3 120GB(sand force controller) that has a native trim support.So the question is : Is it necessary to enable trim support on Lion?I am asking this because according to this article : http://blog.macsales.com/11051-to-trim-or-not-to-trim-owc-has-the-answer, there is no need for sand force based ssd's to enable trim support.

2. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

That SSD does not have native TRIM, but it does have native garbage collection that attempts to perform the same function in the device firmware. All newer SSDs have this garbage collection to one degree or another. The Sandforce controlled drives like yours have a fairly aggressive method of garbage collection and do not require TRIM. I would not use the TRIM hack with that drive.

3. triggerman thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the quick response.That ssd has native trim support, though as it is mentioned in the "Specifications" section of the link below :
    http://www.ocztechnology.com/ocz-vertex-3-sata-iii-2-5-ssd.html

4. MrNomNoms macrumors 65816

MrNomNoms

That is only relating to when you run it with Windows - any specifications firstly assumes you're running Windows which has TRIM support out of the box.

No you don't need to enable TRIM support - IMHO you tend to find TRIM support is required if the SSD has a crappy garbage collection but from all the reviews I've read so far the Sandforce controller does a top-notch job thus even under the most brutal stress testing so I"d stick with the advice given.

Side note, personally I wouldn't hack around with the system internals of Mac OS X simply because it isn't worth the potential risks (data loss etc.).

5. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

What that means is it "supports" the TRIM feature if TRIM is run by your OS. My point is TRIM is not run in the firmware itself, it is run by the OS, and in your case with OS X the feature will not operate without the hack.

6. derbothaus macrumors 601

derbothaus

And running it alongside Sandforce native GC, like the Vertex or the OWC stuff, is not a good idea. Causes unnecessary wear on the NAND and slows it down.

7. triggerman thread starter macrumors newbie

Ok.So for conclusion,is it a good idea to enable trim support(hack) or not?Enabling it (or not) may cause a drive malfunction or a reduction of lifespan?Thanks again

8. cerote macrumors 6502a

cerote

From all the posts in here it has a great garbage collection. So do not install the TRIM hack.