I just jacked up my Macbook Pro, Help??

Discussion in 'macOS Mojave (10.14)' started by LS3 POWER, May 23, 2019.

1. LS3 POWER macrumors 65816

LS3 POWER

So yesterday after 3 months of getting literally a pop up every 20 seconds stating my Macbook couldnt connect to iCould (Even though I kept entering in the correct password) I tried wiping the Macbook Clean and starting as if it was a new device to see if that would fix it (Started doing this after I updated to Mojave.

Well I must have clicked to erase the wrong item, because now when it boots up I get a question mark flashing.

If I go into the boot set up, and click to reinstall Mojave, it asks for me to click the disk to install to but no hard drive shows up in the list.

Any ideas how I can fix this before my wife kills me?? lol

2. Jac Robinson macrumors newbie

Jac Robinson

Is it the Macbook Pro Retina 2015 in your signature? If so, it sounds like your system is not seeing your hard drive. At worst, this could mean a hard drive failure. At best this could simply be a hard drive that is not seated properly. It could also be some software issue. Are you comfortable with taking the bottom off your Mac and seeing if the hard drive is in place? You could also try shaking your computer a little and listen for any noise from a loose hard drive. Do you have a time machine backup?

3. benshive macrumors regular

Boot into recovery (Command + R on startup) and go into Disk Utility. Does your drive show up there? If it does, select it and hit Erase. Choose APFS and confirm. Once it finishes go back out to the Install Mojave screen and see if the drive shows up.

4. LS3 POWER thread starter macrumors 65816

LS3 POWER

It’s definitely not the Hard drive failing, it worked perfectly till I clicked to delete, I’m thinking I deleted the HD (as far as the Mac thinks)?
    --- Post Merged, May 23, 2019 ---
    It doesn’t see a HD, that’s why I think I really deleted the wrong item. This started as soon as I clicked DELETE when trying to wipe the Mac clean
    I see this in disk utility
    If I click erase I see this
    .... and if I click to reinstall Mojave it doesn’t show a drive to install to

Attached Files:

5. benshive macrumors regular

Okay, so the SSD is showing up in Disk Utility. Just to clarify, did you hit the Erase button in the Erase tab and let it run through the process of wiping and formatting the drive?

6. yukari macrumors 6502

yukari

It could be you erased to a different format.
    In order to install MacOS, you need to format it as "Mac OS Journaled" or APFS.

Using the Disk Utility, erase it to one of the formats that allows MacOS installation and see if that helps.

7. LS3 POWER thread starter macrumors 65816

LS3 POWER

I will try that and see if it helps my screw up lol.
    I did the regular OS Journal and now I’m reinstalling OSX, it’s installing Yosemite. I’ll let you know if it works. You’ve gotten me further which I really appreciate

Attached Files:

8. NoBoMac, May 23, 2019
    Last edited: May 23, 2019

NoBoMac macrumors 68020

EDIT: Oops! OP seems to be going now in time I typed this up.

What's showing in Disk Utility is the Preboot volume for APFS container, otherwise, disk looks to be wiped.

Will need to format as Extended Journaled, as APFS will not be recognized by the Yosemite installer pictured. So, as others mentioned, erase and let it do its thing.

9. yukari macrumors 6502

yukari

Glad I can be of help. I know how frustrating it is with computers sometimes...

10. LS3 POWER thread starter macrumors 65816

LS3 POWER

That worked!! Fully reinstalled and upgraded back to Mojave. Thank you!!
    One question though, now that I am back up and running, I launch Safari and it doesn't have my bookmarks, etc that my iPad and iPhone have. I know typically all 3 devices share this info and update in real time. Any ideas on why its not syncing?

11. NoBoMac macrumors 68020

12. LS3 POWER thread starter macrumors 65816

LS3 POWER

Yup, But I actually think its just slowly syncing with everything, now half the favorites are showing up, sorry I should have waited a little longer :)

13. yukari macrumors 6502

yukari

Glad it worked out.
    Yeah. Depending on the internet speed, it takes a while for iCloud to sync.