I just need the stamp of approval, please look! (Windows 7)

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by nihao1234, Aug 8, 2010.

1. nihao1234 macrumors member

Hi,

I just bought a brand new MacBook Pro and I'm planning on running Windows on it for college (virtualization or bootcamp, im not sure yet--probably virtualization with vmware or parallels). I'm this close to buying the following item, but I just want to make sure that it will work for my needs (apparently, its not an upgrade version)100%--after all, where would I be without you MacRumors geniuses! Please just read the description and tell me that it would be OK, and I'll bite the bullet.

Thanks, as always!!!!

http://cgi.ebay.com/Microsoft-Windo...47265191?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0#ht_2356wt_1139

2. Shawnstra macrumors regular

From what it says, it should work as it is not an upgrade version.

3. spillproof macrumors 68020

spillproof

It looks legit to me. I would personally buy it. Plus, the seller has a great rating.

4. thejadedmonkey macrumors 604

thejadedmonkey

Also note: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16832116752

5. nihao1234 thread starter macrumors member

6. Kaviar macrumors member

Kaviar

Windows comes in 3 main flavours.
    OEM
    Upgrade
    and Retail.

OEM:
    What you would have pre-installed if you ordered a new PC from someone like Dell or HP.
    It's normally a lot cheaper than a retail copy but is 'locked in' to the system you first install it on.
    You can reinstall it as many times as you like but only on the system it's locked too.
    You can make changes to the system but if you swap the MOBO or CPU you'll be in breach of the EULA and you'll need a new copy of Windows.

Upgrade:
    Upgrade will update your version of Windows to the newest version but (I think) it retains the level of licane you had before i.e. upgrade an OEM version of Vista and you get an OEM version of Windows 7.

Retail:
    Do what ever you want as long as you only install it on one system at at time. So if you upgrade you system you can use the same copy of Windows on the new system.

I sell computers for a living and always used to tell people to go for the OEM as it was 1/3 the price of retail and it would be rare someone would have 3 brand new system before the next version of Windows comes out.
    However... a retail copy of Windows 7 is only around £10-15 more than an OEM one so the Retail is a better deal thanks to flexibility of it.

OEM is meant to be for system builders only but if Newegg are going to sell you a copy then that's all good :)
    If you just want the cheapest way to get W7 go for OEM but to me the Retail is a better deal.

7. creator2456 macrumors 68000

creator2456

Take a look here.
    Windows 7 Professional 32-Bit or 64-Bit - $29.99

It says it is an upgrade, but you can do a clean install no problem and 'trick' it into working right. Just need to change a 1 to a 0 in a registry file. Directions can be found here.

I can confirm this works as I have done it for my copy of Window 7 Home Premium Upgrade I bought through the student deal last winter.

8. Kaviar macrumors member

Kaviar

If you've got it going and it only costs $30 then that sounds like the best plan :)

9. nihao1234 thread starter macrumors member

10. Kaviar macrumors member

Kaviar

Only Upgrade versions has a 'funny' install path as they upgrade a existing install of Windows
    i.e they update what's already physical on your hard drive.

>>> You need to have an existing copy of Windows to upgrade from to use an "Upgrade Install". <<<
    >>> OEM and Retail allow you to start from scratch. <<<

If you do have a copy of windows to upgrade from then follow the link creator2456 posted to do a clean install.
    i.e. you don't need to have Windows physically installed on that system but you will still need an existing copy/licence to upgrade from.

In short...
    If you own a copy of Windows get the $30 Student version.
    If you don't own a copy of Windows get the OEM version from newegg. It's $1.60 more than eBay but I'm not a fan of software from eBay.

***EDIT***
    The one on Amazon is the same as the one on eBay and Newegg.

As for what system builder is all about it's all in my post above. It just means OEM.
    Link

11. ryannazaretian macrumors 6502a

ryannazaretian

A lot of universities are in a program called MSDN Academic Alliance.

What's great about it is that you can get Windows for FREE!... well, you pay tuition.

There's so much software available from it. It's really a great program, plus it's fully legal.

Check with your university to see if they have such a program. I would contact the IT department.

12. unixperience macrumors regular

an easier way rather than editing registry files is to do a clean install, without a product id. wait for windows updates to reinstall and then reboot. now reinsert your win7 dvd and do the upgrade install over the existing copy of win7 you just had, and now it is an upgrade version and your product key works.
    It takes a bit longer because you actually install windows twice, but then you can buy the student version of win7 for 30 bucks

13. creator2456 macrumors 68000

creator2456

Hmm...makes sense. Guess I will give it a try.

14. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

http://www.winsupersite.com/win7/clean_install_upgrade_media.asp gives three approaches for clean installing from upgrade media, including the registry hack and the double install.

Note also the OEM/System Builder editions are simply not licensed to end users. Part of the conditions of sale are that you are installing it on a system for resale to an unrelated third party. It'll work fine, unless it is a customized disc for a particular OEM or one of those "restore" discs.

Ask yourself this: If you aren't holding up your end of the bargain, and you aren't by not complying with the license, why should Microsoft?

Here's a link to a blog post by Ed Bott on the issue. http://www.zdnet.com/blog/bott/is-it-ok-to-use-oem-windows-on-your-own-pc-dont-ask-microsoft/1561 he says go for it.

B