i just owned my Lecturer (head of dept) and entire class

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by xUKHCx, Nov 8, 2007.

1. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

In one of my modules the lecturer ask people who had laptops to bring them in to the class so we could all work on a mathematica model. So today I like all my fellow students (10) bring their laptops in. We are all sitting there with them out when the Head Of the department walks in, he is the lecturer. He then says rather glibly.

"So someones got a pretty laptop then" looking at me with the rest of the class snickering. To which I reply

"Why thank you"

Someone chirped up.

"Well we all know it isn't about looks it is about power" Again they laughed.

By which time I was getting a little annoyed. I then asked the specs of everyones laptops, the best was a core 2 duo at 1.8Ghz. Which they seemed mighty proud, so when I said I had 2.2Ghz they looked very shocked.

Trying very hard to find a downfall someone remarked that even though it is faster the OS isn't as good so it would be slower. It finally came to a head by me having to connect my laptop to the projector to do the modeling on. I plugged it an the lecturer wanted a quick play, he then activated spaces by a hot corner. To which he found this.

Picture 2.png

I then spent the rest of the lecture doing the modeling and flipping between spaces and using expose. They literally couldn't keep up, by the end no one was mocking me.

It even got praise,"your laptop is quite posh" but from someone from Barnsley I suppose that isn't much of a compliment. After all they think I have a posh accent.

1.5 days with this little thing and I love it.

2. emw macrumors G4

emw

Well done. It's always fun to see someone's reaction to things like Exposé when they see it for the first time.

3. xUKHCx thread starter Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

And I forgot to say then when someone saw me using Coverflow in finder they claimed that Apple had copied that from iTunes:rolleyes:

when we all know apple bought it from steelskies and integrated it into iTunes and now the Finder

4. koobcamuk macrumors 68040

koobcamuk

Haha.

Sweet story. Do you have a MBP then?

I thought you'd be american in saying "So... " at the beginning of a sentence. Then I saw it was you. :)

5. xUKHCx thread starter Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

Just the middle MB.

Too much time on here I guess, as it happens this morning I was speaking to someone and I realised that I had developed Yorkshire quirks in my speak patterns and phrases, e.g "I'm in class 10 while 12", and "I'll email it you".

6. koobcamuk macrumors 68040

koobcamuk

That'll be t'interweb then. :)

My 'old' Rev A, 1.83GHz MB still toasts most of the people at work. Their cheapo (and some not so cheap) Dells and Sonys just suck. Oh, but they can game on them. And yet, so can I on my xbox... :rolleyes: as a matter of fact, most of them have xboxs too!

7. Bow Rekk macrumors member

I'd say the majority of people at my uni have macs...
    Are you doing comp sci or something?

8. xUKHCx thread starter Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

Chemical Engineering, but todays exercise showed that the old myth that macs can't do engineering is wrong.

Cost was bought up and mine wasn't the most expensive albeit it was more than the average but by only £60.

The lecturer also said someones pink vaio was nice looking but it took 5 mintues to boot up into Vista.

Also the windows computers have to pass a safety test before connecting to the network and one guy had failed it this morning because of a virus.

9. Feverish Flux macrumors regular

10. koobcamuk macrumors 68040

koobcamuk

It's a plugin - widescreenmailplugin :)

@ UKHC,

I do Atmospheric Physics (see my site!) and most people here use Linux or Windows. All the instruments use Windows. I did a physics undergrad - most people use windows there too. Real geeks. There were a couple of Mac users - but this was as the ipod was taking off.

11. xUKHCx thread starter Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

See here, got it the other day, really quite like it.

Koob beat me to it.

12. koobcamuk macrumors 68040

koobcamuk

hehe.

Igor Pro is loading in a dataset, so I have a few minutes to waste kill.

13. scotthayes macrumors 68000

scotthayes

Sweet story.

Just imagine the fun I'm having this week. I'm teaching Vista to a bunch of Microsoft lovers, having so much fun showing them CoverFlow, Spaces and blew their minds with the intelligent data in mail...

14. WhiteShadow macrumors regular

I would really like to deny this but three years ago when I first saw the powerbook, at that time I was using an HP, I had the same snide remarks of how terrible macs are and etc, etc.

now I have had an imac for two years and talked four friends into macbooks.

15. patrick0brien macrumors 68040

patrick0brien

-xUKHCx

Oh God! He's totally right! THEY SHOULD SUE THEMSELVES!!!!

16. Killyp macrumors 68040

Killyp

I added it up today, all in all I'm the result of at least 12 people in my school buying Macs (not exaggerating), with three more wanting to buy Macs in the short term, and four people (excluding my own dad) outside of school who've bought Macs...

Pay me Apple, I want commission. Especially considering how much went wrong with my original MacBook Pro (although this new one is absolutely perfect).

Seriously though, I can't actually see a reason to buy a PC any more. Using Windows (Vista and XP) feels like going back to the stoneage (no disrespect to Microsoft fans).

17. dL. macrumors 6502

18. Jaffa Cake macrumors Core

Jaffa Cake

Clearly, you're being very well educated. There's hope for you yet. ;)

19. mcarnes macrumors 68000

mcarnes

It's amazing people still think this way about macs. No shortage of dumb people in academia, I see.

20. twoodcc macrumors P6

twoodcc

21. ezekielrage_99 macrumors 68040

ezekielrage_99

22. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Someone had a pink Vaio, and they made fun of you?? :confused:

23. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

There are Microsoft fans? :confused:

Didn't you hear, pink is the new pink.

24. Mac OS X Ocelot macrumors 6502a

Mac OS X Ocelot

And the next day the lecturer and all of the classmates had macs.