Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Inframan

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 18, 2013
Los Angeles, California
Hey Everyone!

Since I don't have anyone at home who I can share my excitement with I thought I would do the next best thing and share my excitement with complete strangers on the internet, lol

I had planned on purchasing the new 13" MacBook Pro TouchBar (Base Model) and I went armed to Best Buy planning on having them match a price I found online for $1649.00 but unfortunately Best Buy would not match that price because the company selling it was not listed as a approved competitor.

What did happen however was the young lady who was also the manager used a special scanning tool on her iPhone, this is a tool that is specifically for Best Buy managers only and its used to verify price matches. I believe its called the scan-tech-tool? After about 2 mins of waiting and making small talk with her she looked me in the eye as she typed the price of $1590.00 into the cash register! It was the funniest thing because I totally forgot that my girlfriend was across the store shopping and I instantly said to the manager "what are you doing after work" ahahahaha oops!

So I'm not sure if this is a big deal or not or if maybe you guys have gotten it cheaper or not but I still wanted to share my experience with Best Buy and encourage anyone spending a lot of money at Best Buy to insist on a manager to use that scan tool and find you the lowest price possible. It might annoy people who are waiting in line but who cares when it could save you a couple hundred bucks!

Thanks for reading and attached is a photo of part of my receipt!

2017_01_25_21_39_17.png
[/url]​

mcomp112

macrumors regular
Jan 1, 2017
That is a really good price. Congrats on your touch bar Macbook! Best device I've bought.

[Side note: I've found Best Buy's customer service to be better than even Amazon's recently.]

wolfaaron

macrumors regular
Jul 31, 2012
That's a really nice deal you got! I still don't understand why the prices for macbooks went up so much though. I still can't afford it even at $1600 haha :)

nicolipo

macrumors newbie
Nov 15, 2016
when the tbMBP is more important than the girlfriend :cool:
what did she answer (manager after asking her out)?

IngerMan

macrumors 68020
Feb 21, 2011
Michigan
Thats a good price, congrats. I paid a little less from B&H for $1649 and no sales tax. But buying from BB does offer some advantages like ease of return for what so ever reason.

Congrats on your new machine and great price. I am sure you will love it.

Inframan

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 18, 2013
Los Angeles, California
How'd your GF react when you told her the whole story?

She slapped me and said "how could you not invite her over!" at least thats how it went in my mind, lol. JK She laughed, it was one of those spontaneous "I love you man" moments except it was with a female so i didn't know how to spit out being grateful like a normal person should, LOL...

Reactions: willmtaylor
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.