I just picked up a 2.3 GHz i7 MBP yesterday

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Benito, Mar 5, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Benito macrumors 6502

Benito

After reading numerous threads here for weeks and weeks I finally decided it was time to get a new MBP. My current machine is a mid-late 2007 15 MBP 2.2 GHz that I had upgraded with an SSD and HD combination. Although it is still a great machine, I was pining for something new and this newest MBP made me bite.

I went to the Apple Store yesterday with the intent of getting the higher end stock model as I didn't feel like ordering online. That would have been the 2.2 GHz 15" with the glossy regular display. Surprised I was when I saw that they actually had 2.3 ghz models in stock but only paired with the anti-glare high rez. screen. This put me in a dilemma, I had a specific model in mind and I was worried that the HD screen would make certain things at work very hard to read. Our medical software suite runs on Windows, but weren't making a transition over the next half year to running it remotely. I have been told that when you're running in remote desktop mode you cannot alter the size of the font. The font size on this suite is already fairly small and I'm probably not as young as many of you folks as I require progressive lenses to read and see. So I was going back and forth between the two displays trying to see which I preferred. The 2007 MBP I have is glossy, but no where near as glossy as the newest models. To me, it would appear to be a hybrid somewhere between the current glossy and the matte. I prefer my current display's finish to either of the two new ones.

After much going back and forth between pros and cons, I finally decided upon going with the 2.3 ghz model with the matte high rez screen. So far, I've used Migration Assistant to migrate my old settings and apps over to my new MBP and then set my old computer again in target mode to grab my files. Things when quite smoothly and finally I did a Time Machine backup of my new computer. I think it is completely set up now.

I have tried to do remote desktop on my medical software and although much smaller, I can in fact read it pretty comfortably.

Oh, I was pleasantly surprised to get an educational discount. I almost forgot to ask until the salewoman asked if I worked in a corporation that might get a discount. That's when I remembered that I had brought some paperwork showing my status as a lecturer at the University here. I got the discount on the MBP and the Apple Care. Happy camper here today.:apple:

2. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

Congrats on your purchase!
    I am considering upgrading to the new models too, but I am still making up my mind on the many options I have

Sounds like you had a god experience
    Enjoy your new machine!

3. tcphoto macrumors 6502a

tcphoto

Congrats on the purchase but there is a thread at the top when you post "I ordered, bought, new/refurbished MBP". To date, there are over 5380 comments on that thread, imagine if they were all separate. Oh, the humanity!

4. Benito thread starter macrumors 6502

Benito

Sorry if I posted in the wrong place. The way I read that title it sounded to me like a thread for people who recently purchased refurbed Macs. Sorry if I was mistaken.

5. Benito thread starter macrumors 6502

Benito

OK I just posted in that thread. Perhaps one of the moderators can trash this thread, sorry.:(

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.