i just read the ipad will get live tv channels,but the iphone gets Left Behind

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Che Castro, Mar 14, 2011.

1. Che Castro macrumors 603

2. mtnDewFTW macrumors 6502a

Because no one wants to watch live TV on such a small screen. The size of the iPad is perfect for this.

3. MTI macrumors 65816

From the article:

At this stage, the app only supports 30 channels, but more will be added later. Note that the content will only be allowed to be streamed within Time Warner Cable customer’s homes (via their WiFi network), as streaming beyond the house would require additional rights the cable company would need to negotiate with the content owners.

You'd want to watch TV on your phone . . . when you're home?

4. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

correct and the iPad has a 10" screen where as the iPhone has a 3.7" (or there abouts) scree.

5. Che Castro thread starter macrumors 603

I do take my phone into the bathroom

You guys are always so depressing

Why even have netflix on the iphone then ?

6. Interstella5555 macrumors 603

Interstella5555

You always say people are depressing when they don't agree with you...I personally read in the bathroom, if you need more than 5 or 10 minutes you should probably change your diet. Also, unless you can really time and location shift with this (i.e., record something and watch it on the bus the next morning) this is really pointless.

7. Che Castro thread starter macrumors 603

8. Interstella5555 macrumors 603

Interstella5555

Nah, you just seem to get in a twitter about stuff, it's noticeable. Anyway, Netflix makes sense because you can watch it on 3G, watching TV on a 3.5" screen doesn't make a lot of sense when my 42" plasma is across the room and my 15" laptop is in my lap.

9. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

I'm sticking with slingbox.
    This is pretty pointless if you can only watch some of your channels when you're home thru your wifi.

10. Sedrick macrumors 68030

Sedrick

Look at it as a blessing in disguise...

11. djransom macrumors 68040

djransom

There's other places that offer wifi as well, but I get your drift though.

12. Che Castro thread starter macrumors 603

Yea home is not the only place with wifi

But hey everybody here is happy

This reminds me of the sbsettings debate

Whats the point of if

13. Applejuiced, Mar 14, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 14, 2011

Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Yes, but according to this ipad app you could only do it on your homes "Time Warner" wifi.

**Note that the content will only be allowed to be streamed within Time Warner Cable customer’s homes (via their WiFi network), as streaming beyond the house would require additional rights the cable company would need to negotiate with the content owners.**
    You need to be a Time Warner Customer and have High Speed Online. The service can only be used in home where your Time Warner Account is set up.

14. MisterDisney macrumors 6502a

Pretty happy with PlayOn and Hulu+, on the iPhone. Don't really need anything else.

15. Interstella5555 macrumors 603

Interstella5555

Did you even read the article you posted? It won't work outside of your house.

16. jbro1999 macrumors regular

What if the wife has the remote and you want to be in the same room with her but watch something different?

Or what if there is 2 games you want to watch and your PIP is broke?

I think it would be nice to have on the iPhone. I would use it.

17. Interstella5555 macrumors 603

Interstella5555

Ummm, read a book or play a game? Or *gasp* relate to your wife even if you're not totally into the program? I bet you watch stuff she doesn't want to as well. Also, I'm not sure how PIP can "break"

18. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

The wife should never have the remote in the first place if you're in the same room:D
    The one who runs the house is usually the one with the remote.
    In my case its my 3 year old cause we both cant watch anything when he watches spongebob:)

19. WeegieMac Guest

WeegieMac

Sky have an iPhone/iPad app for watching all their Sky Sports and Sky News channels here in the UK, only £5 a month if you are a Sky subscriber or not.

Also, TVCatchup is a great free to use UK site that streams a variety of UK television channels (BBC, ITV, Channel 4, all the +1's, etc).

And the iPhone is not "too small to watch live TV", it has come in extremely handy while out and about or lying in bed, especially as the Sky app works over 3G as well as WiFi.

20. draz macrumors 6502a

There are several TV stations in Canada which only offer on-demand tv episodes for the iPad and have left out the iPhone.

With the larger screen they can do more things like display advertisements while you are browsing for shows to watch. Revenue like that is not possible on the iPhone.

So it was only time that live TV came to the iPad. Although I have watched a few live tv shows on my iPhone without issues. Aljazeera was a popular one for me in the past few months with everything going on there.

21. jbro1999 macrumors regular

Sorry, I'm not a huge "The Real housewifes of San Fransisco" fan. I read, I play games. Just like how I watch YouTube videos while she watches TV. It's the same thing.

The "Broke" PIP was a joke. I'm just saying, it's not for everyone. But I def would use it if it was available on the iPhone.

22. Grayburn macrumors 68000

Grayburn

Along with the above there is also www.filmon.com where you can stream live channels such as.....

BBC1/2/3
    ITV 1/2/3
    BBC News
    Channel 4
    Channel 5
    Film 4
    E4
    Fashion TV
    CNN
    Tuff TV
    Retro TV
    Weather Plus

along with many more.

I don't use it much but it's handy to have the URL saved in Bookmarks.

23. SUN11 macrumors newbie

I'm a little confused as to why people would want to watch tv shows from their iPad in the comfort of their own homes. That's what the actual tv is for, right? ;) sounds useless, unless you can watch the tv shows anywhere you are, either from 3G or wifi.

24. F123D macrumors 68040

F123D

Unless you have a tv in every single room like I do (jk), it's pretty useful. Go sit on the patio, in the backyard, cook in the kitchen, take the iPad with you and watch from any room. Seems useful to me.