I just sold my iPod for an insane amount of money!

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Draddy, Mar 7, 2008.

1. Draddy macrumors regular

I just sold my 5th generation iPod for 230 dollars on ebay!

I mean, its in mint condition, but that's a lot for a black 60 5.0 iPod.

My question is, since the seller has low feedback, how do I protect myself with paypal? Do I move the money into my bank account? If paypal shoes the money, does that mean that I have the money secure?

Thanks!

2. iMpathetic macrumors 68030

iMpathetic

Meh, people on greedbay are idiots sometimes...

Great sale, and congrats!

3. juanster macrumors 68020

juanster

yes it hink its pretty safe, but oyu shoudl still put the money back in your account to make sure, i just sold my 16gb touch fro 320 i think i got a pretty good deal too, craigslist too so no fees of any kind.

4. teleromeo macrumors 65816

teleromeo

be sure you sent it with a reputable company and keep track of the parcel. If he wants to collect it meet at a public place and do not accept paypall. I read some advice here to hand it over in a bank.

5. iTeen macrumors 65816

iTeen

hey while on this subject...how much do you think a 5.5g 30gb black ipod video would should sell for??

6. Draddy thread starter macrumors regular

should? like 130-160

7. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

LOL you cut that in 1/2 from your sale? Even the 30 vs 60 you're talking 5.0 vs 5.5. I'd say $175-200 for that guys and you just got some stupid amount as you said. ;)

8. rockthecasbah macrumors 68020

rockthecasbah

Definitely run the transfer through Paypal, it's by far the safest way to transfer funds for an eBay purchase. I believe they have fraud protection too.

9. Draddy thread starter macrumors regular

even though an 80gb classic with a dull warranty is 250?

10. Draddy thread starter macrumors regular

fraud protection is ALWAYS in favor of the buyer. Without feedback there is nothing from keeping the buyer claiming they never got it.

11. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

These days instead of a bank, i'd probably do a post office.

Have him buy a postal money order while you are there and hand it to you.

---

Even if he buys a cashier's check in front of you, he very well could have it canceled the minute you walk out the door.

Which was/is one of the scams running for people selling cars.

Even fraud while in a bank is rather difficult to do anything about, at least the post office seems to have a few more teeth than a toothless goat.

12. Music_Producer macrumors 68000

Read the paypal rules - fraud protection is for both buyers and sellers.

Make sure the buyer pays with a confirmed address, and ship to that address. Do NOT ship to any other address (if the buyer says ' I just moved and i need you to ship it to my new address' etc)

Ship the package with signature confirmation, so there is proof of delivery. Follow these steps and you will be good.

13. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

I'm no expert, but haven't there been cases where the buyer pays you the money via eBay, you see that the money has transferred, you send the buyer the item, and then he claims you didn't send it, so they take the money back from your account?

That way, the buyer gets the item and keeps the money.

Again, I'm far from an expert on eBay, but I thought I read that scenario here at MacRumours before.

14. teleromeo macrumors 65816

teleromeo

That was in this thread

15. Draddy thread starter macrumors regular

awesome...

I got the paypal notification on my iPhone and just read "paid" with no details....

then when I got to my computer I awesomely noticed that the paypal e-mail was fake...

then I got this e-mail.

....awesome.

16. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

You'd have thought they'd pick another country to be in to make it slightly less obvious :rolleyes:.

17. Draddy thread starter macrumors regular

I know right?

It seems like the once brilliant nigerian scammers are now retards.

ugh, I hate that.. I never clicked on any links or anything... but I still have to change my passwords and everything just because I feel dirty.

It's kind of scary how real the paypal e-mail looks... It's not so blatantly obvious anymore.

Attached Files:

18. juanster macrumors 68020

juanster

19. question fear macrumors 68020

question fear

Ouch! That sucks! Make sure you report it to Ebay and Paypal right away.

And when you re-post your iPod, make sure the auction indicates US-only. It helps put another layer between you and scams. I had to do that after trying to sell a palm on ebay and getting an email asking if I could ship to a foreign country for some ridiculously low amount of money.

20. Draddy thread starter macrumors regular

eBay makes it incredibly hard to report.... especially with 30 day time restrictions.

Thanks for the tips! I did have it listed as US only.

I didn't even read the last paragraph of the paypal e-mail, I was just noticing it... I think it's pretty brilliant.

21. notjustjay macrumors 603

notjustjay

Wow, that sucks.

Report it to PayPal's "phishing" email address (whatever it is, I forget).

Scammers like that hurt us all, not just the seller. It makes you as a seller want to take steps like limiting your auctions to US only buyers... and that in turn hurts us in, say, Canada, who would love to take advantage of a great deal from a US buyer (due to the sheer number of American sellers and the conversion rate).

I don't even use eBay anymore. It's just not worth it.

22. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

One thing you have to do is to proactively check your auction while it is running, and disqualify bidders from out of your stated sales area and bidders with zero or negative feedback, so they don't *&^% your auction for real bidders by entering high scam bids.

State on the auction that you will ship to Confirmed Paypal Addresses only and stick to it. You aren't protected if you don't ship to a confirmed address.

Insist on insurance and signature on delivery for any shipment.

Never clickthrough a PayPal email -- you can always log into your PayPal account by hand and check that the payment is received.

PayPal does NOT offer an escrow service where funds will be released when shipment is confirmed... so that's another scam marker.

23. Galapp macrumors regular

if the money is on paypal, it is secured... but you should still be carefull... if he has a low profile, you should be 100% sure that he transfers the money before you send it...

24. Draddy thread starter macrumors regular

....the second chance buyer also turned out to be crap. :( I think I'm done with ebay. re-listed into the marketplace here.

25. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

Err, no -- if the buyer uses a stolen charge card number to fund the purchase PayPal WILL take the money back from you. If you ship to a non-confirmed address and the buyer fraudulently claims he never received it, PayPal WILL take the money back from you. If the PayPal account was hijacked, you will lose the money.