Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Lakeland*won

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 16, 2010
I just spent 45 min playing around on the iPad at Bestbuy. I've decided not to buy. Before you start attacking, I was hoping that this would be the bridge between phone and iMac. The apps look good, the movies look good but the typing is terrible. The touch screen keys feel awkward at best. I was just like everyone else and completely amped for this. My family was ready to shoot me if I said "iPad" one more time. Maybe I hyped it up too much in my head but its kind of true. It feels like a huge iPod Touch.

I am disappointed.

p.s. I got into the store because of my job. I have to wear a uniform and just so happened to be "checking" on the business. They moved the 27 iMac to a shelf and dedicated 4 16's for display. my store did not get any 32's. They got 10 16's and 10 64's

lotusindigo

macrumors regular
Mar 22, 2010
That's too bad. Good thing I'm not getting the iPad for its keyboard capabilities. I'm in it for the 3rd party apps.

Lakeland*won

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 16, 2010
My point is exactly what my post says. I am disappointed by the iPad. It looks AND feels like a huge iPod that has amazing video and is a BITCH to type on.

RebelRed

macrumors member
Mar 12, 2010
Yeah, I just played with it too. It doesn't spit out Digiorno pepperoni pizzas.

I am disappointed. :)

Seriously though, you should expect that it will take some time to get used to typing if it's your first touch experience.

The good news is you can use a real KB with it if desired.

foxnews1

macrumors 6502
Mar 16, 2010
I just spent 45 min playing around on the iPad at Bestbuy. I've decided not to buy. Before you start attacking, I was hoping that this would be the bridge between phone and iMac. The apps look good, the movies look good but the typing is terrible. The touch screen keys feel awkward at best. I was just like everyone else and completely amped for this. My family was ready to shoot me if I said "iPad" one more time. Maybe I hyped it up too much in my head but its kind of true. It feels like a huge iPod Touch.

I am disappointed.

p.s. I got into the store because of my job. I have to wear a uniform and just so happened to be "checking" on the business. They moved the 27 iMac to a shelf and dedicated 4 16's for display. my store did not get any 32's. They got 10 16's and 10 64's

so you don't like it just because of the keyboard? seriously, the keyboard is there for typing occationally. if you are serious about typing, get a desktop/laptop or get bluetooth keyboard.

ipad is popular for its huge touch screen, not its keyboard.

tttexxan

macrumors 6502a
Jun 25, 2007
People said that about the iPhone also and typing works just fine...Im sure it will take some getting used to, but well worth it in the end

admanimal

macrumors 68040
Apr 22, 2005
OP, how were you and the iPad situated while trying to type? I.e. were you holding it while you were standing, had it on a table, etc?

budselectjr

macrumors 65816
Oct 6, 2009
Minnesota
Prolly will just take getting used to typing on a bigger touchscreen. I had trouble with the iPhone for a couple days before I got used to it.

Unprocessed1

macrumors 65816
Jun 23, 2008
In reality the keyboard for most people will be used to type in urls, quick notes, and light document editing and MAYBE note taking depending on how comfortable the ipad case is in its typing position.

BTW: of course he was using the ipad flat on the table or just in his hands. I highly doubt they had the ipad case on it... something to consider

PS: Nice to see that you abused your job to test out the iPad. Classy.

Lakeland*won

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 16, 2010
OP, how were you and the iPad situated while trying to type? I.e. were you holding it while you were standing, had it on a table, etc?

Apple sent these circular, clear plastic display stands that have a back tilt to angle the iPad up while resting on it. It was on an angle similar to how I would imagine the apple case would allow it to rest.

Dont get me wrong, I think it is still a great product, in fact a product I would still like to own but for me, I was looking for a bridge product. I was hoping this would be it.

I understand that It is a complaint after less than an hour of use. But for me, it is an annoying issue that I dont think would go away. Macbook will be a better fit for me.

dagomike

macrumors 65816
Jun 22, 2007
I knew the keyboard was going to be an issue long before the iPad was even announced. Typing on a flat tablet is problematic. Apple though allowed bluetooth keyboards and the nifty dock, plus the stand-up case. And you know there will be third-party products galore.

Basically I only see typing on the iPad with one finger or one hand. Maybe two hands on my lap. Otherwise I'll use a keyboard or just work from a computer.

The iPad is really about consuming and creating.

FoxDavis

macrumors regular
Feb 16, 2010
Puyallup, WA.
Yeah a little crazy to be disappointed over the keyboard...

Go and get one, this is just like the iphone, the iPad is going to change computing like the iphone changed cellular!

Unprocessed1

macrumors 65816
Jun 23, 2008
Apple sent these circular, clear plastic display stands that have a back tilt to angle the iPad up while resting on it. It was on an angle similar to how I would imagine the apple case would allow it to rest.

Interesting, although many of the professional reviewers said it was adequate for light typing, and they had a week to get used to it.

What was the angle position of the case? There's a huge difference between sub 45 and 70-90 degrees

djrobsd

macrumors 6502a
May 2, 2008
I hated the iphone keyboard and held off on buying the 1st gen. I finally gave in when the 3G iphone came out, and it took me all of about 3 days to get used to the keyboard. I can now fire off emails and texts at 40wpm or so. My computer typing is about 90, so not bad. ;)

marksman

macrumors 603
Jun 4, 2007
So you were trying to type on it at like 25 degree angle for 45 minutes?

No offense, but your review seems lacking since that is your only complaint, and what you were doing is weird and not how anyone would likely be trying to type on it.

thejadedmonkey

macrumors G3
May 28, 2005
Pennsylvania
That's too bad. Good thing I'm not getting the iPad for its keyboard capabilities. I'm in it for the 3rd party apps.

That's exactly why I don't want to get one - It's like giving Apple a gift that keeps on giving, and I'm still not sold on a killer app that will make me want to enter into a relationship with Apple like that.

Lakeland*won

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 16, 2010
Interesting, although many of the professional reviewers said it was adequate for light typing, and they had a week to get used to it.

What was the angle position of the case? There's a huge difference between sub 45 and 70-90 degrees

I am not a profesional reviewer. I am not slamming this product, i am giving an opinion from a normal dude who is an Apple fan. I dont know the angle of the display. It was ergonomically fine. The iphone is very much easier to type on.

Unprocessed1

macrumors 65816
Jun 23, 2008
I am not a profesional reviewer. I am not slamming this product, i am giving an opinion from a normal dude who is an Apple fan. I dont know the angle of the display. It was ergonomically fine. The iphone is very much easier to type on.

Do you own an iphone? If so, for how long?

rtabdo

macrumors 6502
Jan 26, 2010
My point is exactly what my post says. I am disappointed by the iPad. It looks AND feels like a huge iPod that has amazing video and is a BITCH to type on.

Interesting. Most of the reviewers said it was great to type on and today I watched a video of a guy FLYING through it typing.

To each his own though.

Mark Booth

macrumors 68000
Jan 16, 2008
Reading your thread, I can't help but picture a low-paid Best Buy employee that would really be stretching his budget to spend $500+ on an iPad. My guess, not having the extra $$$ is just as much of a factor in your "disappointment" as anything else.

Just sayin'.

Mark

DeathChill

macrumors 68000
Jul 15, 2005
Unprocessed: In your signature is that a real email or just a joke?

Back on topic: different strokes for different folks.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.