I just talked to AT&T Customer Service. Phones *ship* on the 19th.

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by JoelMarcey, Jun 11, 2009.

1. JoelMarcey macrumors 6502

JoelMarcey

This is for those of you who ordered from AT&T and are getting it delivered to your home -- note, I ordered from the Premier site with a FAN account as a new customer; but I imagine this might apply to all AT&T online orders where you are getting the phone delivered.

AT&T Customer Service called me to get some information from me regarding my old carrier in order to transfer my number (they needed my PIN).

After that got resolved, I asked her when I should expect my 3GS, and she said that they are being *shipped* on the 19th and I should expect it on the 22nd or 23rd.

After that, I got an email from Premier customer support saying they needed a bit more information for my order and I asked the same question....he said the same thing, telling me that they don't deliver on weekends.

So if you trust two people from AT&T Customer Service, then don't expect your phone next week. I am hoping we get surprised though.

Another tidbit the second person told me is that he doesn't believe that AT&T is currently backordering phones, but I am not sure he 100% knew.

2. iGary Guest

iGary

I just went to order a second phone for my significant other and indeed, their site says "order will ship 7-10 days." No specifics.

Order from Apple and they promise it by the 19th.

3. bigchief macrumors 6502a

4. JoelMarcey thread starter macrumors 6502

JoelMarcey

My hope is that they are mistaking/saying what they were told to say, and we will still get our phone on the 19th :rolleyes:

5. uberamd macrumors 68030

uberamd

There is always hope. But I ordered from Apple to avoid the AT&T hassle.

6. themoonisdown09 macrumors 601

themoonisdown09

When did you pre order the iPhone?

7. JoelMarcey thread starter macrumors 6502

JoelMarcey

Yesterday (June 10) around 10 or 11 AM

8. capitanbuzo macrumors 65816

Since there are about 6 AT&T stores in a 5 mile radius around my house, I just went and preordered there to guarantee I'll have it. Wasn't in the mood for all the online BS.

9. JoelMarcey thread starter macrumors 6502

JoelMarcey

I was originally going to do that, but I found out we had a Premier account. So in order to make sure that all the goodies that come with a Premier account went through correctly, I decided to order directly from the Premier website. I don't mind waiting a couple of days if it ensures the waived activation fee, new activation credit, etc....

10. themoonisdown09 macrumors 601

themoonisdown09

Maybe they had already sold the iPhones that were able to be shipped on the 18th to be received on the 19th. I pre ordered on Tuesday at around noon and my confirmation email says that:

It does say that it's on a first come, first serve basis, so maybe I ordered early enough for it to arrive on the 19th.

By the way, what's this Premier Account everyone is talking about?

11. alm99 macrumors 6502

I call bogus. The email confirmation I received specifically states the 19th it will be delivered.

"Thank you for placing your iPhone 3G S pre-order with AT&T.

Pre-orders for iPhone 3G S will be shipped with overnight priority and will be processed to arrive as early as June 19, 2009, if submitted by 12 p.m. noon C.T., June 17, 2009. The actual shipment date and receipt of your order is not guaranteed and may be subject to delays for reasons that include, but are not limited to, product availability, inventory, credit issues, number porting or carrier delays, and completion of other required AT&T business processes. Additional items added to the cart at the time of your pre-order may ship separately depending on availability. Your credit card will not be charged until items are shipped. All pre-orders taken online are being handled on a first-come, first-served basis.

We appreciate your business and take pride in providing you with the fastest 3G network in America and the best coverage worldwide."

12. JoelMarcey thread starter macrumors 6502

JoelMarcey

Some employers/companies have agreements with AT&T to work out discounts, discounted plans, etc. My spouse works for such a company. Every company seems to have a different agreement with AT&T. So what we would get may not be the same as what someone else would get.

13. iGary Guest

iGary

Emphasis mine.

14. JoelMarcey thread starter macrumors 6502

JoelMarcey

My email confirmation does not say that. I think the Premier site order email confirmations are different than the normal AT&T wireless site order ones, maybe. Although I remember when I was in the ordering process I did see something to the effect of what you are seeing in your email.

15. alm99 macrumors 6502

As long as you ordered before the 17th it will ship overnight to be delivered by the 19th. Admittedly the email is ambiguous to their favor. I ordered through the cashback promo though as I will be a new AT&T customer.

16. aluren macrumors 65816

my experience in talking with ATT over the past have made me realize that they are extremely unreliable. i called ATT the other day and tried to confirm that my price for the 32gb is $499 and they told me that if the apple store website said so, then it must the case (they didn't know what else to tell me)... in my mind i was like WTF?

17. Versus macrumors member

Our company offers 14% off your bill and a certain percentage off the cost of the phone*.

except iPhones of course. ;)

18. diabolic macrumors 68000

AT&T Customer Service is most likely wrong. It would be a shame if the AT&T orders aren't handled the same way as the Apple store online orders are.

The Apple store receipt specifically says: "Delivers by June 19th".

19. JPIndustrie macrumors 6502a

JPIndustrie

How do you know that?

The email is written in a way that removes liability if the phone doesn't arrive by the 19th.

I'm getting mine @ Apple. I feel much more safe with:

"Please remember to pick up your iPhone on the day of June 19th or else it will be added back to regular inventory the next day"

Vs.

"Pre-orders for iPhone 3G S will be shipped with overnight priority and will be processed to arrive as early as June 19, 2009, if submitted by 12 p.m. noon C.T., June 17, 2009."

Which to you sounds more concrete?

20. Andruw91 macrumors regular

I called Apple since I ordered my iphone from there, and I was told that no matter what shipping you picked, and if you ordered early enough (she didn't specify what early was, but my guess is the 8th or 9th) that they are going to TRY and ship the phones on the 17th or 18th so they ARRIVE on the 19th. I was told this is NOT a grantee though.

Just wanted to post what I was told

21. gloss macrumors 601

gloss

But the Apple Store and AT&T may be working as separate entities. I'm guessing phones ordered from Apple are promised for the 19th, while AT&T is allowing themselves more wiggle room.

22. uberamd macrumors 68030

uberamd

Well since AT&T is backordered already, I would say orders from AT&T from now on will not arrive on the 19th.

23. alm99 macrumors 6502

I understand that, but I take the "arrive as early as June 19, 2009" to mean that if you order anytime after June 17th 12:01pm your order will not be delivered on the 19th. This also assumes that they have enough stock to cover the orders as some people have mentioned that their orders have flopped from "in progress" to "backordered" through out a day.

Will I be severely disappointed if I don't receive it on the 19th, hell yeah because I then need to wait the entire weekend to get the phone. You bet there will be much complaining by me to AT&T about the debacle. However, I did save $104 via the cashback.

24. themoonisdown09 macrumors 601

themoonisdown09

I think that the reason why AT&T is saying "arrive as early as June 19, 2009" is so that in the case of something going wrong, people can't say that it was guaranteed delivery on the 19th.

25. JoelMarcey thread starter macrumors 6502

JoelMarcey

It might be good for some other people to call AT&T and ask the question to see if they get the same response. Phrase it such that you are asking if there is any possibility you will get your phone on the 19th for home delivery (or something like that).