I just upgraded to 8GB memory by Crucial.. Very easy

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Alexjones, Apr 13, 2011.

1. Alexjones, Apr 13, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 13, 2011

Alexjones macrumors 6502

Damn that was easy. Dont be afraid to open your Macbook pro to upgrade your memory. It took me 5 minutes ( Actually 15)

2. amarcus macrumors 6502

Yeah it's really quite an easy upgrade. Having said that, it took me 30 minutes! But I managed to misplace a screw which resulted in a rather long search around the house.

3. johnnyturbouk macrumors 68000

johnnyturbouk

on the yellow [oled] brick road to tech nirvana.
    i changed the hdd with an ssd and made the optibay mod - boy there were a hella lot of screws to misplace

4. Alexjones thread starter macrumors 6502

I lined my screws up as soon as i took them out. Im thinking of doing a SSD install. Is it worth the money?

5. skiltrip macrumors 68030

Depends what money is worth to you and how much of it you have. lol.

People that fit the description above love it, and say "hell yes" to your question.

I do not fit that description. I'm broke as a joke, and feel lucky to have a MBP at all for my audio work. I also happen to need a LOT of capacity on my internal drive for audio sample libraries and three DAW recording programs.
    My 500GB is nearly filled, so I won't be going SSD for quite a long time.

But if you don't need capacity, and you don't mind paying more than you will in a year or two, definitely do it.

6. Bobby Corwen macrumors 68030

How do you put the case back on because mine is loose? The four snappers won't stick?

7. NikFinn macrumors 6502a

NikFinn

What?

8. Bobomix macrumors newbie

Theres always a workaround like another user stated: get an optibay. I have a 64 ssd as main hd for apps and have relocated the original 320g to the optibay. Works like a charm!

9. Bobby Corwen macrumors 68030

When putting the back lid on, it doesnt snap in...

10. squeakr macrumors 68000

squeakr

Just put the back into place and screw it down. The catches will then usually grab on their own. The next time you go to take it off, it will be snapped back into place more then likely. Just set it into place correctly and screw it back together don't worry about trying to get it to snap it together.

11. Alexjones thread starter macrumors 6502

Line it up, Push down and put the screws back. The back 3 screws ( 3 last right screws ) are long, The rest are small.

12. jijitrash macrumors newbie

loose screw

actually I found a loose/extra screw in my brand new 3000 USD laptop ?!?! I could hear it before I exchanged the ram and luckily it was accessible and did not fall into the fans.

I was really upset.

13. squeakr macrumors 68000

squeakr

Are you sure it is an extra and didn't come out of someplace it should be?? I would check as some of these screws are utilized as grounding points as well.

14. Bobby Corwen macrumors 68030

I have this permanent clicking sound if I push in the right place on the bottom.

I installed a drive. I noticed my keys started touching the screen.

Can't tell if it's related or mere coincidence.

I don't remember if that clicking sound was there. Almost like the back cover is trying to click into place but can't latch on and it just keeps clicking like a trackpad button. Click, click. Is that normal? Some spring?

Besides that the back cover is symmetrical and looks right but my lid closes crooked which is why I assume the keys leave prints/smudges on the screen

15. Apple 26.2 Contributor

Apple 26.2

Thanks for the heads up... I plan on doing the same in a few weeks!

16. Bobby Corwen macrumors 68030

Hopefully I didn't push too hard on the back and make the keyboard bulge on the other side making it touch the screen when the lid is closed.

That's what I was afraid of but id expect the univody design to be sturdy enough to withstand some medium pressure

17. squeakr macrumors 68000

squeakr

Some parts click as there are grounding points that contact the casing if I remember correctly (they are looped copper contact/grounding points, can't remember if they are on the bottom lid or the around the logic board, seem to remember them being on the LB), and they click slightly when pushed on. It should be robust enough depending on how hard you pressed. As for the keys touching the display, that is normal. I always keep a micro cloth over my keyboard (screensaver from Radtech) to keep the oils from transferring to my display and leaving keypad marks. As for it being uneven, if that is true I would take it to the Genius bar and have them check it, as they can slightly realign the screen, unless you have bent it.

18. Bobby Corwen macrumors 68030

Are u sure its normal for the keys to touch the screen?

That makes no sense.

19. squeakr macrumors 68000

squeakr

The spacing is very miniscule. It is not uncommon for the keys to lightly touch the screen and leave residue behind from your skin oils. It can all depend greatly on how one carries the MBP as well. It has been common place in the past (pre unibody) for the casing to actually bend slightly depending on how one carries the MBP. It is recommended to hold the casing near the hinges to lessen the chance of undo pressure and bending to the MBP. If your screen is offset it could be the reason for the screen imprinting as well.

20. vincenz macrumors 601

vincenz