I just upgraded to iphone 6, sms not working on MacBook/iPad anymore.

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by FiremanMike, Nov 6, 2014.

1. FiremanMike macrumors regular

I have been using my MacBook and iPad to send and receive sms texts through my iPhone 5 ever since the iOS update without any issues. I got an iPhone 6 yesterday, set it up as a "new phone", and logged in with my appleid (which is the same on my MacBook and ipad) but sms texts are not getting picked up by my MacBook/iPad and when I try to send sms texts from either, I get fail to send errors.

I have already tried logging out and back in to iMessage from each device..

Anyone able to help?

2. capuzino macrumors regular

Bluetooth turned? Is it connected? iOS 8.1 installed?

If any of those doesn't help, then try to restart phone.
    And if still doesn't work reset network settings.

First things that got into my mind, tell if any of those didn't help.

3. FiremanMike thread starter macrumors regular

Bluetooth is on but not actively connected (never was with 5 either). iOS snd OS X are all the correct versions.. I'll try network settings in a bit.

4. schmidt65 macrumors 6502

----------

On the iPhone you need to go into Settings then Messages and then into 'Text Message Forwarding' and add the devices in there. You need to put in a code that will appear on the devices you want to add.

5. Etiene macrumors regular

It can be a fiddly to get it working sometimes, I had to mess around with my iPad and iPhone last night to get continuity/handoff/instant hotspot etc working.

Basically the advice was to toggle the handoff switch, toggle the iPhone cellular calls switch and reboot the device.

I think it's fairly robust once it's working, but there's no indicators anywhere to tell you whether it's working so you just have to experiment.

6. FiremanMike thread starter macrumors regular

That did it, thanks!!

7. schmidt65 macrumors 6502

No problem. Glad it worked, had to do the sane thing on my iPhone when bought a new one!