I just wanna wirelessly use my Time Capsule as a back up w/ my Macbook Pro

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by tonyfoto, Apr 14, 2008.

1. tonyfoto macrumors newbie

I purchased my Macbook Pro along with a 500gb TC yesterday. I do not have internet connection in my home at this time but I would like to use the TC to wirelessly backup my Mac. I have set up time machine and when I select the TC for a back up it wants a password. I have no idea what that password is so I go to airport utilities. I try setting it up though there. I change the password but when the TC restarts the Mac cant find it. I'm away from my home now and hoping I can get a quick answer or I'll just call the store when I get home.

Please help!

2. skorpien macrumors 68020

Unless you set your Time Capsule disk access to connect by disk password (which is set through Disks > File Sharing in AirPort Utility), the password should be the same as the one you gave your Time Capsule; ie, it will be the same password you use to access your Time Capsule from AirPort Utility.

3. tonyfoto thread starter macrumors newbie

what? lol sorry I know basics. i've really only used public macs in schools for photoshop and stuff. So if you could maybe do a lil walk through that would help a lot.

4. skorpien macrumors 68020

The default password for the Time Capsule is "public", though you should change it the first chance you get. You can reset it to the default by holding the reset button on the back of the Time Capsule for 5 seconds. Also, you should really read the setup guide. It will take you through step by step. And you could always read this manual if you need a more complex setup.

Edit: I'm away from my Mac so I can't really do a walkthrough as my memory isn't that great. I can try when I get home tonight if you still need more help.

5. tonyfoto thread starter macrumors newbie

well I plan on changing the password. I just want it to get hooked up first. I read the book that came with the time capsule but for one it told me to select "change disk" while setting up time machine w/ it. But, there was no option for that. I'll try that password when I get home. I must have reset my time capsule 3 times trying to troubleshot.

6. skorpien macrumors 68020

In your System Preferences for Time Machine, after you turn it on you can select which external drive to use as your backup volume by selecting "change disk". You'll need to be connected to your Time Capsule, either wirelessly (by joining the network it has created) or by ethernet, before you can select it as a backup volume.

7. tonyfoto thread starter macrumors newbie

Great, I worked! took almost 8 hours to back up but its done!! I just never joined the network the TC created!! thanks for the help