I keep getting this glitch where I go to open a convo in Messages and it freezes

Discussion in 'iOS 7' started by TH55, Aug 7, 2014.

1. TH55 macrumors 68030

It takes like 15 seconds to open, ridiculous. Then when I try to send a message it takes another 20 seconds. If I exit the app before it is finished sending when I re-open it the text not only hasn't sent but there's nothing there. Very annoying. I tried actually shutting the app down and restarting, nothing. This comes and goes, it happens randomly while other times it works fine.

2. Newtons Apple macrumors P6

Newtons Apple

Have you rebooted your phone?

Could be you are having carrier problems in your area.

3. TH55 thread starter macrumors 68030

Yeah when I reboot my phone it fixes it but it happens often enough that it's a pain in the ass. What would the carrier have to do w a hardware/software issue?

4. eelw macrumors 6502a

eelw

5. TH55 thread starter macrumors 68030

A good while now. Since I updated to iOS 7.

6. Newtons Apple macrumors P6

Newtons Apple

You carrier or even just a tower near you might be slow to send and receive messages from your device.

As you said it could also be software or hardware. If there is alot going on in the background the iPhone can balk and delay, I have seen it too but VERY seldom.

7. TH55 thread starter macrumors 68030

Ya but the issue isn't the delayed sending it's that if I exit before it sends it disappears completely. That and the freezing.

8. Newtons Apple macrumors P6

Newtons Apple

You can take it to the Apple store for them to test. But if you have my luck the phone will work perfectly when in the Apple store.

9. zorinlynx macrumors 601

zorinlynx

You might try clearing out all your old conversations and see if this helps.

After a few years the database can get very large and can slow things down. You'll probably also save space on your phone from all the media that you have sent in received in Messages since the last time you cleared it.

There are a few tools out there for archiving your old conversations if you feel the need to before doing this.

10. Newtons Apple macrumors P6

Newtons Apple

OT, but will the iPhone save all texts until we erase them?

11. TH55 thread starter macrumors 68030

Lol I actually just did this today and low and behold, the problem returns randomly.

12. TH55 thread starter macrumors 68030

Would this probably be fixed by buying a 5/5S?

13. Jades macrumors 6502

Similar issue in iPad. Not having this problem on iPhone. Restored my iPad Air from scratch (no restore of any backups) and problem persists once messages start building up. Been happening since iOS 7.1