Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Kwyjibo

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Nov 5, 2002
So the other day I spilled some water on my ML 1710 I got just over a year ago, I didn't know that it seeped in and today I go to turn it on , and it acts strange and smells like burning. I click it off and decide there must be water inside, i unscrew the top cover nd try to get as muc hwater out .... but i think its a failed effort, both of the lgiths (red and green) are flashing and SAMSUNG won't let me download a manual ... so if anyone has any advice on this lemme know but at the same time I'm a student and by next week i'll want to be printing.

This being said I felt limited by my laser for pictures and stuff and no color last year so if I have to buy a new printer I will be sad ( over the cash and death of my death of a fairly new printer ) ... but I'll have to move on for my mistake.
So I need some recomendations, I would like to spend about a hundred bucks (student budget ) but a little bit eitherway wouldn't kill my wallet. I would love sometihng with a good mac driver ( the samsung one was crappy). My family has an older canon i520 at home , and it has worked well, I can buy the ink on ebay for really cheap and thats a major plus. This will be mostly for text but I want picture capabilites just for fun usually. If anyone can help let me know ...

edit: personal experiences are preferred.

FuzzyBallz

macrumors 6502a
May 2, 2003
Home of Al-Qaida
Pick a Canon, pretty much any Canon w/ individual ink tanks. I bought the S530D a while ago, works well on both Panther and WinXP. Its successor I guess is the i560. It's $83 from amazon, supports Panther, 4 individual tanks.

I'd stay away from the cheaper all purpose 2 ink tank Canons. I ones I've tried leak ink for no reason. Maybe they fixed the problem in newer models, who knows.

Kwyjibo

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Nov 5, 2002
Yeah Cnet heavily recomends the i560 and the i860 , The i860 is about $30 more, Cnet recomends both ... the i560 seems like an upgrade to the i520

mintlivedotcom

macrumors regular
Apr 21, 2004
I went for a consumer Epson on purpose...because I wanted an all-in-one that works with OS X (Canon all-in-ones don't). After hours of research (including CNET), this was the best value.

Cheap ink (like Canon) and copies without going through the computer...I got the CX5400 for $80 after rebate at Fry's Electronics. It works awesome in 10.3.5.

telecomm

macrumors 65816
Nov 30, 2003
Rome
If size isn't too much of a concern, I really like my HP deskjet 5550. I bought it because it got a really good reviews on text quality (my main concern), but I've been really happy with the colour printing of my digital photos as well. Last year, when I was in the market for a new printer, I noticed that this printer had gotten a good review in CNET.

blogo

macrumors 6502
Apr 1, 2002
Canon just released some new printer models, maybe you should check them out, they look pretty good too ;)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.