Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tymaster50

Suspended
Original poster
Oct 3, 2012
Oregon
HSPA+, faster 3G, faster LTE. Plus voice and data. But a pro of verizon is signal almost everywhere, facetime over celluar, and the comfort of knowing the company actually cares about what consumers want most of the time. Making everything a shared data plan was kind of stupid but it was also stupid of at&t to make it so facetime over celluar you had to be moved to the same plan.

HowardSmith

macrumors 6502a
Sep 13, 2012
If everyone used face time over cellular it would degrade ANY carrier's network. Bandwidth is not unlimited for any carrier.

A wise choice in my opinion.

ATT is no more evil than Verizon. They are all trying to make a buck off people who feel that they are entitled!:p

tymaster50

Suspended
Original poster
Oct 3, 2012
Oregon
If everyone used face time over cellular it would degrade ANY carrier's network. Bandwidth is not unlimited for any carrier.

ATT is no more evil than Verizon. They are all trying to make a buck off people who feel that they are entitled!:p

At least Verizon gives signal mostly everywhere lol and they aren't restricting data usage. I also read somewhere AT&T paid the least taxes and gave the most money to politicians or something.

Jman13

macrumors 68000
Aug 7, 2011
Columbus, OH

Not a wise choice. It's a scary choice. First off, there aren't going to be 3 million face time calls over celluar at once to bring the network to its knees. People would blow through their data cap too easily. Netflix and Hulu over LTE use way more bandwidth and they're fine.

It's a very dangerous precedent that violates net neutrality rules and forces you to pay for your data twice. I already paid for 5 GB of data (mainly for tethering, which is similar, but a little different since it enables data use by another device that isn't part of your contract). Why should I have to pay more by switching to a shared data plan in order to use that data how I want?

If AT&T wins the FCC complaint against it on this matter it is bad news. Carriers will next start charging for things like YouTube or access to Netflix or Hulu because they're 'burdens on the network'. Or worse...preferential treatment to their apps vs. established open net standards.

It's a terrible slope and needs to be lifted. Hopefully the FCC will rule AT&T's actions here illegal and force them to open facetime over cellular for all.

dylanursula

macrumors 6502
Jun 27, 2010
Not a wise choice. It's a scary choice. First off, there aren't going to be 3 million face time calls over celluar at once to bring the network to its knees. People would blow through their data cap too easily. Netflix and Hulu over LTE use way more bandwidth and they're fine.

It's a very dangerous precedent that violates net neutrality rules and forces you to pay for your data twice. I already paid for 5 GB of data (mainly for tethering, which is similar, but a little different since it enables data use by another device that isn't part of your contract). Why should I have to pay more by switching to a shared data plan in order to use that data how I want?

If AT&T wins the FCC complaint against it on this matter it is bad news. Carriers will next start charging for things like YouTube or access to Netflix or Hulu because they're 'burdens on the network'. Or worse...preferential treatment to their apps vs. established open net standards.

It's a terrible slope and needs to be lifted. Hopefully the FCC will rule AT&T's actions here illegal and force them to open facetime over cellular for all.

As someone on unlimited I can barely understand AT&Ts pov on FaceTime. However if you are on ANY tiered plan then you should be able to use your data as you please

HowardSmith

macrumors 6502a
Sep 13, 2012

I have seen your argument many times. All I can say is you will have to get over it! It will not change:p

Breitling65

macrumors 6502
Mar 3, 2011
AT&T is evil.

you are better off where you are now.

And Verizon is angel? :)

----------

At least Verizon gives signal mostly everywhere lol and they aren't restricting data usage. I also read somewhere AT&T paid the least taxes and gave the most money to politicians or something.

Are you sure about signal everywhere? I just changed form Verizon and could say same dead spots for both... :) Verizon is charging more for data plans, doesn't have rollover min, using dead technology called CDMA & can't surf web while talk.

Menel

Suspended
Aug 4, 2011
Verizon is not your friend.

They ONLY give you facetime/tethering because of a condition of their 700MHz spectrum auction win.

Arnezie

macrumors 65816
Oct 10, 2011

Ohh yea well I read somewhere that Verizon helps with the fight against Americans in the Middle East

LapsangSouchong

macrumors 65816
Jul 15, 2010
the burrows
I'm not regretting it. As much as I'm on wifi, I haven't really had time to miss the simultaneous voice and data. I HAVE noticed that I can make phone calls in my office.

I finally got to the point where I decided Apple and Verizon are more likely to fix the simultaneous voice/data issue before AT&T will fix signal quality.

Interstella5555

macrumors 603
Jun 30, 2008
HSPA+, faster 3G, faster LTE. Plus voice and data. But a pro of verizon is signal almost everywhere, facetime over celluar, and the comfort of knowing the company actually cares about what consumers want most of the time. Making everything a shared data plan was kind of stupid but it was also stupid of at&t to make it so facetime over celluar you had to be moved to the same plan.

You mean overcharging for devices and services while not allowing you one of the most basic features of having a data enabled phone? Yes, sounds excellent to me...

willmtaylor

macrumors G4
Oct 31, 2009
Here(-ish)
AT&T is evil.

you are better off where you are now.

And Verizon is angel? :)

----------

Are you sure about signal everywhere? I just changed form Verizon and could say same dead spots for both... :) Verizon is charging more for data plans, doesn't have rollover min, using dead technology called CDMA & can't surf web while talk.

Neither AT&T nor Verizon are evil; the aren't people.

They are companies, and companies exist to make money.

If one disagrees with said company, they can: deal with it; complain to the company/government; take their business elsewhere.

These are basic axioms.

pdutta2000

macrumors regular
Jun 4, 2008
I'm not regretting it. As much as I'm on wifi, I haven't really had time to miss the simultaneous voice and data. I HAVE noticed that I can make phone calls in my office.

I finally got to the point where I decided Apple and Verizon are more likely to fix the simultaneous voice/data issue before AT&T will fix signal quality.

Agree completely. I made the switch and haven't dropped a call since.

Steviejobz

macrumors 68020
Jun 19, 2010
SoCal
I love all the hate / loyalty to one carrier or the other. There is no one perfect carrier. If there were, they would have 100% of the subscribers. I have used almost all the major carriers and for me (and me alone) AT&T is best. I live in NYC and although VZ has better in-building penetration, when I am in a building, I use my mobile phone the least so AT&T suits my needs in other situations.

Others may have different needs

Hooterville

macrumors 603
Sep 24, 2012
I had a Verizon iPhone 5 64GB from launch day and took it back on the 14th day as the reception where we live was so bad.
The Verizon had 0-1 bars of 3G and you could not even get a call out as to where the AT&T had 4-5 bars of 4G.

Now, I'm just trying to get a phone from AT&T with no luck :rolleyes:

thadoggfather

macrumors P6
Oct 1, 2007
Verizon is only slightly less evil.

FaceTime restrictions are nonsense, but charging people for going paperless and then having it shut down after people outraged, shows big red is the most evil. And the fact that their data share plans for a family of 4 costs an insane amount of money. I'll stick with my throttled grandfathered unlimited on AT&T, while getting a subsidized phone (something else Verizon restricts).

No simultaneous voice+data on 3G kills it for me too. It's come in handy a lot actually.

It's all just a cat and mouse game though. They all follow suit.

iAi

macrumors 6502
Sep 26, 2012
Tick tock ... Testing iP5 Verizon using AT&T nano SIM card ...

Last edited:

bcaslis

macrumors 68020
Mar 11, 2008
You mean overcharging for devices and services while not allowing you one of the most basic features of having a data enabled phone? Yes, sounds excellent to me...

Technically the fault for this is Apple. Other phones support but it requires an extra antenna in the phone. Apple chose to not do this to reduce the number of hardware versions.

To me the most important attribute of a phone is to, you know, make phone calls. In five years with AT&T I've numerous cases where I have a plenty strong signal but calls don't come through or even voicemail notifications. In the same spots with Verizon, phone calls always work. Features are fine but they have to actually work to be useful.

iAi

macrumors 6502
Sep 26, 2012
I've been to 3 major carriers - first Sprint then T-Mobile and finally with AT&T because of the iPhone. I loathe and dreading Verizon because just like Sprint, it is using the sucky CDMA technology. With iP5 Verizon being more global and having most LTE coverage in the USA including my area, I caved in and bought iP5 Verizon. However, am really having doubts or in dilemma again if I made the right decision since I find Verizon's metered shared plans for single device user too expensive and limited for me (especially on how I intend to utilize the power of iP5 everyday anywhere).

I have 2 weeks to make a decision if I should return the iP5 Verizon I paid full retail at Apple then get the AT&T iP5 or stick with iP5 Verizon using AT&T nano SIM card thru mid next year. My area is not covered by AT&T LTE. T-Mobile 4G and LTE might work in an iP5 Verizon. I travel a lot internationally.

I find out you get what you pay for. T-Mobile has the cheapest plans and best in customer service but it's network sucks compared to AT&T. I don't really the point in being with Sprint. It's on CDMA, their networks pretty much suck ...

Last edited:

Geckotek

macrumors G3
Jul 22, 2008
NYC
I've been to 3 major carriers - first Sprint then T-Mobile and finally with AT&T because of the iPhone. I loathe and dreading Verizon because just like Sprint, it is using the sucky CDMA technology.

CDMA is not sucky....they just stopped updating it in favor of migrating to LTE.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.