I knew it was too good to be true! ..My New MBP defects!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Schizophrenic, Mar 15, 2008.

1. Schizophrenic macrumors member

It seems that my right built-in speaker doesn't work! I checked Sound Balance, and it's in the middle, so both sides should be working, right?

Caps lock needs to be pushed hard to work!

And, finally, there's a gap when the screen is closed (on the left side)!!! For a $2000 laptop this is UNACCEPTABLE!

Oh! I forgot to tell you that I also have the infamous yellowish screen!

This is my first Mac and I am disappointed :(

I am okay with all these defects, except for the Speaker one!!

I'm gonna replace it with the redesigned MBP later this year, anyway! But still!! Shame on you "Made in China" Apple!!

Now I need a hug, a group hug, perhaps :eek:

2. superleccy macrumors 6502a

superleccy

No hugs, just commiserations of your bad luck.

It's still under warranty, right? You're right, it's unacceptable. Just get Apple to replace it. Job done.

SL

3. duffyanneal macrumors 6502a

duffyanneal

Don't loose too much sleep. Take it to the nearest Apple Store and get a replacement.

4. JML42691 macrumors 68020

JML42691

There are enough small problems there that warrant Apple taking a look at it (but the case not closing perfectly snug is normal). I would schedule an appointment with the Genius Bar and have them take a look at it.

5. Schizophrenic thread starter macrumors member

Problem is I don't have An Apple store where I am!!
    I have to ship it back to NY where I purchased it from!:(
    We have resellers only here! I need to check with them, BUT they didn't receive the new Penryn MBPs yet! :confused:

6. Shannighan macrumors 6502a

Shannighan

7. cohibadad macrumors 6502a

cohibadad

you can take it to any apple authorized repair also.

8. markrivers macrumors 6502a

markrivers

9. Shannighan macrumors 6502a

Shannighan

its actually like 33/66 chance you will get a yellow defect because isn't there two different panels with the yellowing and one without? (well known panels anyway)

10. markrivers macrumors 6502a

markrivers

there's no one manufacturer that is yellow tint free.
    samsung, lg, chi mie, auo all have them.
    one of the threads here claimed that 9c66 was the best screen.
    i had that with my 2.2 which i just exchanged last week for a 9c81
    still both of them have the yellowing.
    i won't exchange this anymore since i don't want to deal with speaker issues, heating, fan problems, not waking form sleep, dead pixels, lazy pixels, dead geniuses, lazy geniuses. etc
    i'm too busy to go to the apple store evey other day

11. sjb macrumors regular

12. jonnos macrumors regular

i have 9c83 yellowing and bad shadow blending on windows, it doesnt blend out nicely you can see where it ends. apple is picking it up next week on tues and then they will send me a replacement.

13. burningrave101 macrumors 6502

I think it's just a fluke whether or not you get a really great screen without any defects. I'm pretty sure my 2.2 had a 9c66 and it definitely had the yellowing from what I saw. I have the 9c81 on my new 2.4 and it doesn't seem to have any yellowing but the colors are a little off to me. I've tried several different calibration configs but it's still not as great as i'd like from a $2,000 laptop. Apple needs to stop being cheap and get ahold of some of those 10,000:1 contrast 15.4" displays Samsung was showing off here last year.

14. andrewdale macrumors 6502a

Yup. 9C81 here and I don't have any yellowing. I've looked at it 1,000 times, as I was pretty nervous about having to send it back. But, I'm good! :D

15. aaron.lee2006 macrumors 65816

aaron.lee2006

It bugs me how many times it has to be said that the gap normal. Take it back for the speaker but the rest is pretty normal. My MBP caps key only needs to be lightly hit to work so that might also be a small problem.

16. duffyanneal macrumors 6502a

duffyanneal

I had a 9c81 in my previous MBP Penryn and it was a nice display. I wound up having to do an exchange and the replacement system has a 9c83. The first time I booted up the system I was very impressed with the display. It seemed to have a bit more pop. It wasn't until later in the day that I realized that the display was indeed the dreaded 9c83. :D After close scrutiny I did notice a slight color shift at the bottom of the display, but it really is dependent on how I am viewing the screen. If I'm sitting at a desk and I am looking downward at the display I see no color shift. If I'm laying in bed like right now I do notice the color difference, but only if I sit and stare. I had a SR MBP and it had much more pronounced yellowing. I'll be keeping my current machine. It is perfect. :apple:

17. phatcat macrumors regular

I also noticed the gap and caps lock key.

Went to Apple store. Saw gap on all of there 5 MBP on display = normal.

Did a quick tap test with the caps lock key on a combination of MBP, MB, MBA - about 10 machines total and they all responded the same.

You don't have to hit the caps lock key hard. you just have to hold it a split second longer. Apple added this feature to prevent accidental caps lock press.

regarding sound balance, set it all the way to the right speaker to isolate & test.

18. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

I don't know about this hard mode. It may be that I hit my keys very hard, but it feels the same as any other key--easy to press down on.

19. bcaslis macrumors 68020

It's not hard/easy on the caps lock key, it's time. Apple had a change a while ago so that if you only hit the key momentarily it doesn't go on. This is to avoid accidental presses. Hold it for a fraction of a second longer (at the same amount of pressure) and it will go on fine.

20. Schizophrenic thread starter macrumors member

OK, I am KEEPING IT!

The speaker is working just fine!! I was playing some .ram Audio from a certain website and it seems the problem is the audios I was playing coz I checked with zillion other sites and both speakers are working! Kinda relief!:rolleyes:

As I said I can deal with gap/yellowing (Which I didn't fix bc I don't know how to calibrate the screen, will try later), and looks like the gap problem is common even on display at Apple stores!

More important, I don't have fan, noise or buzzing issues! Heat is within limit 54c max. (I don't play games, tho).

So I am keeping it :D

Again I wouldn't reach this decision without you guys! your input makes me optimistic, THANK YOU ALL.

Let's hope no other problems occur! Fingers crossed:)

21. duffyanneal macrumors 6502a

duffyanneal

Take a look thru this thread. I am using profiles from #83. I would suggest d/l a few different profiles and applying them one at a time until you get one that looks good to you. With the correct profile you can drastically change the look of your display.

To apply the profile check out the post below.

22. UltraNEO* macrumors 601

UltraNEO*

Sounds like you're having all the FUN!! :p

23. markrivers macrumors 6502a

markrivers

i stopped looking for defects and started working.:D
    time to earn back the money i spent buying the MBP

24. jjahshik32 macrumors 603

I believe the 9c81 is an LG and its about the same as the SR model 9c67 model. I've been through 10 different mbp and 4 of them were lg and I compared them to the 9c68 (samsung) and preferred the samsung over the lg. The samsung did have a slight yellowish whites toward the bottom but that didnt bother me in the end and the samsung's colors were so vivid.
    The lg's all had good white all around with no yellowing but its over saturated with brightness. The colors red,blue,green,yellow(not too noticable in yellow) had over saturated in brightness and it looks faded/washed out and the color rendition is horrible. I guess if you like the lg screens and think that the color is great even after countless proper calibrations the lg screens were still washed out and doesnt have that vividness (and yes 2 of the lg screens I took it in glossy, so glossy or matte doesnt matter).

After the lg screens I exchanged the mbp hoping for samsung but they all ended up chimei but the last mbp I returned it and took the restocking fee. (I have 2 apple stores here where I live and exchanged 4 at one apple store without any restock fee and exchanged over 4 times at the other one while returned and took 1 restock fee on the 5th at that store). Then 4-5 months later I rebought the mbp and ended up with a 9c66 (AUO) screen and it was very vivid like the samsung and has no yellowing whatsoever on the bottom, I did that white box bottom and top test.

I'm glad that my current mbp has no yellowing and looks very vivid in colors and I'm thinking about buying the 17" mbp in high res and I'm praying to god I dont get an lg.

Another experiences with lg I had was with external monitors, I've exchanged 3-4 times at circuit city and ended up returning it a year ago buying an lg 20" external monitor and I remember the colors on it was not as vibrant either, looks washed out. The colors were similar to the mbp lg models and that the colors looks dull and just too much brightness mixed into it making the colors not vivid and look fake (just dont know exactly how to describe it).

But if you have an lg screen and love it because of no yellowing then just be happy with it and DONT I repeat DONT COMPARE THE SCREEN WITH A SAMSUNG ONE, you will be awfully disappointed in terms of quality, sharpness and vividness. I dont care how many of you guys say your lg looks great and looks vivid to you and you have to have the right calibration, I just wont believe it, I've compared extensively against one another and I highly, highly recommend and want an samsung screen again.

25. markrivers macrumors 6502a

markrivers

one question.
    how many stocks do you have with Samsung?:D