I know apple hates buttons but... what's just one more? (for camera and apps)

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Mad Mac Maniac, Oct 20, 2008.

1. Mad Mac Maniac macrumors 601

Mad Mac Maniac

A little bit of here and a little bit of there.
    So I think there should be an extra button on the side of the camera. I know apple loves making these sleek and button free, but.. it's just one more and still on the side. because it is SO awkward taking pictures! portrait is ok, landscape is awkward, taking a pic of yourself of a friend with one arm outstretched.. impossible...

It could be on the side on the bottom right of the phone. a very convenient location for taking pictures

PLUS this button could be used in applications. Sometimes it can be very helpful to have a physical button for situations to pause games, go straight to the homepage, or whatever.

side note: when in camera mode i think the volume buttons should be used for digital zoom

2. Randman macrumors 65816

Randman

I wouldn't like another button but I wouldn't say no to a timer for photos.

3. fishmoose macrumors 68000

There are some ways with software they could solve this problem like a timer as mentioned. As for the idea for the volume control being zoom that would be great! I miss not being apple to zoom on my iPhone.

I think Apple has made a poor job with the camera app given that the actual hardware for the camera is poor they could atleast have given us good software.

4. SuperMacMan macrumors regular

SuperMacMan

Yes, that'd be a nice touch. But, yet another upgrade... More fanfare... Blah blah blah blah..... :)

But, yeah, it'd be nice for taking snaps, and as you said, pausing games/whatever.
    And using the volume buttons for digital zoom... Cool!

SuperMacMan

5. Flhusky macrumors 6502a

Flhusky

Jailbraking addresses these issues.
    Granted the App launcher is software based but it kicks arse!
    Think cover flow for your iPhone appps.
    Cydia also allows video recording and i'd bet there is a couple camera apps that will do timers.

6. ajnicho macrumors 6502a

7. kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

Dedicated buttons are A Good Thing

The point of a touchscreen is that apps can have their own specialized buttons drawn on the screen, and not have to re-purpose physical buttons.

At the same time, there's nothing wrong with having buttons dedicated to common tasks.

For example, the Home button. Volume. Ringer. All of these could've be done onscreen, but they're such commonly used controls that it doesn't make sense to make a user access them via a locked screen.

In fact, having too few buttons causes a UI problem. By not having dedicated iPod buttons on the device itself, Apple had to put one out on its headphones instead... and overload its functionality. Ditto on the overload with the Home button's multi-clicks.

People are very used to camera shutter buttons, and they're pretty used to using the volume controls for zoom. It would not hurt the UI at all to have the button you wish.

8. BergerFan macrumors 68020

BergerFan

I'd prefer the volume buttons to be used as the shutter. It'd be so much better when taking self portraits, or group pics in a bar or something.