I know apple is being accused of old GPU's but isnt sony doing this?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by aibo82, Apr 26, 2010.

1. aibo82 macrumors 6502

I know the GT330 is an older GPU but dont the Sony Vaio Z use this but with 1gb Graphics memory and isnt that not a current laptop I dont get were Apple is this only expensive kid on the block I think there being competitive against Sony's Vaio Z lineup?

All said and done the Vaio z comes out at £1959
    Configured
    Intel® Core(TM) i7 Processor 2.66Ghz
    Genuine Windows® 7 Professional
    Black
    128 GB Ultra SATA Flash SSD
    4 GB 1066MHz DDR3-SDRAM
    DVD disc drive
    33.3 cm LCD, 1920x1080, webcam
    No Wireless WAN
    No Fingerprint and no TPM
    Battery life up to 6.5 hours (top end battery)
    No headphones
    3 USB Ports
    NVIDIA® GeForce® GT 330M 1GB

And for the same in a Macbook pro equivalent £2039
    2.66GHz Intel Core i7
    4GB 1066MHz DDR3 SDRAM - 2x2GB
    128GB Solid State Drive
    SuperDrive 8x (DVD±R DL/DVD±RW/CD-RW)
    MacBook Pro 15-inch Hi-Res Glossy Widescreen Display
    Backlit Keyboard (British) & User's Guide (English)

So thats an £80 difference for a larger screen solid beautiful design multi-touch and MacOS

The only thing thats sony has over that is weight,size and 512mb more of GPU memory but the battery life sucks and the wedge design of sony vaios is ugly and there full of bloatware!! and thats a current laptop!

Is it just some people are not happy with the GPU or is it really that terrible because I wont buy one if its dreadful its alot of money all said and done?

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

3. entatlrg macrumors 68040

entatlrg

OP - Yes, Sony and other companies as well are still using "old" components. I think the hopes from Mac buyers was a stronger update in some regards because of the price we pay for a Mac.

In the case of power/spec's versus size / weight the Sony clearly wins over the 15" MBP. The Z isn't my choice for numerous reasons, but Sony did manage to pack a lot into a small 3lb frame.

4. mark28 macrumors 68000

A Sony Z can get 10.5 hours of battery in Windows ;) And the Sony Z has SSD in raid, which means it's twice as fast as that MBP. And the Sony Z with it's dedicated GPU on, last about 6.5 hours, while a MBP only 3 hours what's been reported so far. ( The 7 hours is only achievable with the integrated GPU switched on for a MBP )

The battery of MBP are nothing special, even Dell offers batteries with higher capacitiy. But OSX has better power savings which allows MBP to get higher battery life despite worse hardware. Let's see how much battery life a MBP gets in Windows :D

About the GPU, the GT330M was introduced in January which Sony immediately adopted ( the Sony Z is from Early January ). The GT300 series was believed to be cards based on the Fermi architecture back then, so it was good marketing there on the side of Nvidia and rumors.

But for those who knew exactly what those GT330M were, they didn't like it ;) Now in April, it's pretty much out in the open the GT330M is just an old rebranded GPU, hence why the public has a different reaction now then back early January.

edit: But don't choose a laptop based on GPU, you shouldn't be gaming a notebook anyway in my opinion. That's were desktops are for if you're going to be doing stuff that require alot of power :D Get a MBP if you really want OSX and the design of a MBP. ( they look pretty great and have a good resale value too!!! )

5. striatedglutes macrumors 6502

Anyone have a picture of that extended battery installed onto the Z? I can't find a verifiable source.