i know , but how to covince someone i dont need antivirus

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Jongewehr, May 14, 2009.

1. Jongewehr macrumors 6502

how can i convince my dad

that if i go to download.com to download stuff an only all .apps i installed on use my admin code wisly i dont need av, for the time being

if im wrong please correct me

but if i dont how can i convince him

2. MrM macrumors 6502

It's a Mac. That should be enough of a statement.

Ps- you cant get viruses if you downloaded it. That's a trojan.

3. Jongewehr thread starter macrumors 6502

amen

4. old-wiz macrumors G3

assuming you don't try to install stuff pirated versions of iWork, you are fine.
    You can get trojans if you install pirated stuff.

5. hndn macrumors regular

hahaha you made my day :D

6. Ttownbeast macrumors 65816

I'm sure you're a big kid just tell your dad to shut up or your putting him in a home LOL

7. ppc750fx macrumors 65816

Because even the most popular of all the Mac OS X antivirus software is crap.

8. gnasher729 macrumors P6

gnasher729

If you download software from unknown sources, the operating system will ask you at least twice to enter your password before you can run the software. If you enter your password twice and the software is malicious and does something to your computer, then it is your own fault for downloading it in the first place, and no operating system and no anti-virus software can protect you. Has happened to people who thought they were downloading pirated copies of iWork and Photoshop.

Apart from that, there are at the moment no known viruses that would affect a Macintosh, so anti-virus software won't help you there.

So: If you are stupid enough, you can get yourself into trouble. But there is nothing where anti-virus software would help you. However, anti-virus software has been known to cause trouble itself, so you are better off without it.

9. coloco macrumors newbie

scam

I remember being in a big computer shop and noticing how many people in there were bying antivirus stuff for the PC, it's a huge industry and a huge scam.

10. Fizzoid macrumors 68020

Fizzoid

Funny, I always joke that Symantec pay people to write viruses and malicious software to maintain their healthy profit margins :)

11. 8CoreWhore macrumors 68020

8CoreWhore

How do you prove a negative? You can't. Tell him it's for him to prove you do need AV.