I know everyone's had enough of new iMac speculation, but here's something new

Discussion in 'iMac' started by sucramdi, Sep 17, 2012.

1. sucramdi macrumors member

I don't know any more than the next guy on here, but I had an interesting thought this evening.

Apple confirmed an update to the Mac Pro in 2013, but didn't mention the iMac. What if Apple were planning on merging the two lines, like an iMac on steroids with the highest end processors and full expansion possibilities. Apple is trying to make everything as simple as possible now, even things that maybe shouldn't or don't need to be simplified, just look look at Final Cut Pro 10 and even iTunes now. Sure it's unlikely, but anything is possible.

2. edry.hilario macrumors 6502a

Not happening apple just said its the best all in one they are not moving to nothing else. Furthermore by seeing what they did with the retina MacBook pro with basically almost nothing upgradable I highly doubt that apple will go I the other directions with the iMacs. They already made it a pain to add another hard drive so there you go I think youre just wishful thinking too much just like the rest of us. It sucks :(

3. JustMartin macrumors 6502a

I've speculated this before. I don't think this year. But, when Tim Cook said he had something great for pro users late next year, I did wonder whether he meant 'pro' as in generally professional rather than specifically 'Mac Pro'. In which case, some kind of modular amalgamation of iMac, Pro and Mini lines could be one of the possibilities.

Not quite sure how such a beast would work as it would have to offer an out of the box, bare bones and upgradeable experience to cover the bases catered for by the existing three.

4. comatory macrumors 6502a

comatory

if this happens i'm not so sure about the modular system. remember, hardware addons are good business for Apple, if they do it themselves, not sure if they want to cut in their profits - if it is supposed to be aimed at "pro" users, the least things that are swappable should be RAM and HDD.

I think this "pro" thing will be another disappointment, it could just mean they'll offer really expensive iMac w/ retina which might have accessible HDD slots - so basically the "dream iMac" that the users want but its price will be way more than what the usual iMac customer is willing to part with.

or they might utilize optical Thunderbolt in some new way. what I'd really like if they offered something like iMac without ODD, HDD, something resembling more Thunderbolt display and some Apple branded thunderbolt storage that you could upscale.

5. mjoshi123 macrumors 6502

mjoshi123

Or it could also mean that Mac Pro is only getting update in 2013 - iMac probably will not be updated ever :)

6. ghboard2010 macrumors member

Hmmmm......

The new and improved 'Mini iMac Pro' no doubt!

7. Dark Void macrumors 68030

Dark Void

I can't see them merging the line. It's nice how they have it now.

8. southerndoc macrumors 65816

southerndoc

Did he mean 2013 calendar or fiscal year? I think Apple's 2013 fiscal year starts Sep 29.

9. SmurfBoxMasta macrumors 65816

SmurfBoxMasta

ALL your merged systems are belong to us. WE will decide when and or if they will happen, and you WILL be happy about it you WILL buy them all but only when WE tell you to.......regardless of the timing or price :D

ps....this message was relayed by me, straight off the virtual presses on the mothership.....

10. ctdonath macrumors 65816

ctdonath

Nope. Don't see it.
    iMac is an all-in-one, "put it on your desk and be done with it" design.
    Mac Pro is a voluminous rack for the user to stick various hardware into with ease.
    Just two very different paradigms. One precludes the other.