I know the AC3 5.1 is hidden, but is there a way to activate it in iTunes?

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by marklight, Apr 17, 2008.

1. marklight macrumors 6502

If I wanted to hook my computer up to my sound system using optical cables- and play my handbrake encoded movies using iTunes or front row- will it default to that ac3 track or do i need to activate it?

2. err404 macrumors 68020

By default you will only get the stereo track. Install Perian to allow for AC3

3. marklight thread starter macrumors 6502

so I have perian installed- so when i hook it up to the sound system it will default to the ac3? or do i need to change some settings on perian? I see that there's multi channel output as well as some dolby settings. I assume the multi channel output is what I want- but what if i have a DTS track? do i just keep it multi channel output, or do i set it to one of the dolby settings?

I haven't actually tried to hook up my computer to my system yet- im just trying to get a feel of how to get access to the ac3 track.

4. northy124 macrumors 68020

northy124

Controls>Audio/Subtitles then pick the one you want

5. marklight thread starter macrumors 6502

Ok I'll also keep this in mind. I've also found something called AC3 passthrough that might be needed. I'll definitely try to compile all this info. It's just a lot of work to get 5.1 surround sound out.

Going to hook it up to the receiver tomorrow, so hopefully all goes well!