I know this a place for Iphone, but I want to talk about the Note.

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by GKDAIR, Jun 16, 2012.

1. GKDAIR macrumors regular

Specifically the Samsung Galaxy Note, you know that thing thats supposed to be Apples main competition. The one that premiered during the Superbowl I believe.

I just saw a commerical for it and my god, do they actually expect people to use that thing? The showed the guy talking on it and his hand was stretched all the way out just trying to hold it, it's way too big to be a cell phone IMO. And wasn't it Steve Jobs who said "If they use a stylus, they failed"

I mean seriously, THAT thing is Apples biggest competition right now? I dunno, I had an Android Phone once and it was the most horrible experience I've ever had with a phone, I switched back to Team Iphone immediately.

Sorry if this topic seems fanboyish but I cannot take a device that is as big as a cell phone from the 80s seriously.

2. nickchallis92 macrumors 6502a

nickchallis92

Yeah I hate it when companies think outside the box, and find a niche in the market, leading to millions of sales.

I also hate it when people like you pick up on the stylus idea when the stylus is the point of the product. It's more than a little stick

3. mbell1975 macrumors 6502a

Team iphone LOL. Oh man, these kids are hysterical.

4. onthecouchagain macrumors 604

onthecouchagain

In my opinion, Apple's biggest competition isn't hardware related at all.

It's software.

I'm having a difficult time reconciling iOS' shortcomings now that I've seen what ICS is capable of. ICS is so much more usable.

5. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

Yes... anyone who loses that little stick will realize this when its loss renders a $699 tablet mostly non functional.

6. LaynieGorilla macrumors 6502

And the thing is, it's somewhat similar to an iPhone in some respects even down to how the charger plug in is built. I've used one and its not that bad, it's just extremely big. Imagine how much it'd be to replace that screen :eek:,
    Pretty snappy phone though.

7. labman macrumors 604

labman

how many phones have claimed to be the next iPhone destroyer I will wait till it actually happens before I care.

8. Bobby Corwen macrumors 68030

I noticed that shot in that commercial too where they are showin him holdin it up to the ear.

That shot could have been edited out lol.

Or at least higher a larger man to do the commercial so it can look smaller.

It wasn't a good idea to show him holding it to the ear in the advertisement. Could have stuck with just showing him use it in his hand.

They always pick some "Everyman" type these days to advertise non-apple phones because they know there is no point showing "cool" people in those commercial or targeting them because they all are iPhone users.

For example the guy from the Chevy Lumina commercial at the baseball game has a neck fatter than his head. So he is the model of Nokia? Ok.

9. nickchallis92 macrumors 6502a

nickchallis92

please explain how the tablet becomes non functional? It has a regular capacitive screen like every other phone out there, and then some.

10. nuckinfutz macrumors 603

nuckinfutz

Such as?

11. chrono1081 macrumors 604

chrono1081

It absolutely IS Apple's biggest competition right now....size wise ;):p

12. mbell1975 macrumors 6502a

There are plenty of phones out there with better hardware and software than the iPhone but with the exception of a few, no one buys them. The success of the iPhone comes from its die hard fan base who buy it despite there being better phones available because its familiar

13. wx4olf macrumors regular

wx4olf

I don't think I the Note is really a direct iphone competitor - that's coming from a Note and iphone owner. Instead the note is more of a niche product for those who want an almost tablet like experience in their phone. A more direct iphone competitor would be the galaxy s series or maybe even something like a razor maxx.

14. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Yeah right, keep thinking its all fan base sales.
    Matter of fact more people are buying and switching to iphones that never owned an iphone or Apple computer before.
    The iphone is nice, easy, simple to use with great software that just works. That's what brought the iphone where it is and Apple to become the most successful and richest company in the world.

15. mbell1975 macrumors 6502a

False. Android phones are up to 900,000 activations a day and its rising every month. If people were switching to iPhones, Apple would be gaining marketshare, not losing it.

16. Funkymonk macrumors 6502a

Funkymonk

That's not apples biggest competition. The S3 is.

17. Savor Suspended

Savor

Over 7M people don't seem to mind the size. Don't knock it until you try it. Or at least own it. Heard it was a very snappy device. Stylus (aka S-Pen) makes it easier to sketch with. Only drawback to me is really Android which doesn't have the smoothest interface out there since it was originally built to copy BlackBerry.

18. DodgeV83 macrumors 6502a

Your statement has nothing to do with his claim. Both your statement and his can be true.

19. Bobby Corwen macrumors 68030

Correction.

Over 7M insecure souls fell for the anti-Apple marketing during that super-bowl commercial.

20. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Exactly.
    I'm not even gonna bother.
    If he thinks it's just apple fanboys that buy iPhones then we can clearly see who the fanboy is:)

21. Shockwave78 macrumors 65816

Shockwave78

Also the S3 preorder's are almost up to 10 million now...that is with barely any advertising at all. Wait until it is released and running commercials every 5 minutes during the Olympics.

22. mnsportsgeek macrumors 65816

I have yet to see a note out in the wild. If they are selling millions, people are not using them for long.

----------

The S3 hasn't been released yet...

23. ChrisTX macrumors 68030

ChrisTX

As long as my iPhone still syncs with my iPad effortlessly via iCloud, I'll stay with iOS. Otherwise the note is where a phone simply becomes too big. Nothing wrong with 4" + screens, but 5.3" is just ridiculous in a bad way.

24. DodgeV83 macrumors 6502a

Source? Every report of that number I've seen has been referring to number of devices ordered by carriers. The important number is what has been sold to customers.

25. Savor Suspended

Savor

Over 7M sold is pretty impressive for a NICHE market when the Dell Streak, which was the first 5+-inch screen phone, was already DOA two years ago. And the Note sold well in Asian countries where many people there have smaller hands than Western folks.

Personally, I think it is too big for a phone and too small for a tablet. I prefer tablet use in landscape with an OS built that way. But Gingerbread/ICS is arranged in portrait. When I watch TV or look at a computer screen, they are all in landscape. With phones, I prefer to use in portrait. Even when I type on my iPhone, it is portrait. I prefer one-handed use. I'm actually fine with the size of my iPhone 4 and Nexus One. I had a Samsung Focus and the width and height felt awkward to grip and the screen was only 4 inches. Even the first BB Bold was a bit too wide for me.

I think the Note is great for what it is. A middleground for some. And it works great for a multimedia device. Every touchscreen tablet out there including iPads are really just giant smartphones without the calling features anyway. But for me, I want a phone good enough to text and hold with one-hand and tablet with at least 7-inches that I can view horizontal all the time. I would prefer a $200 BlackBerry PlayBook just because it is over 60% cheaper and has a nice OS built for landscape viewing. The Note doesn't fit that bill for a tablet for me and neither as phone with the large width and height for one-handed use.

But I am open on waiting for what the Note 2 has in store. At the same time, I'm starting to go against the giant smartphone trend even though I was actually excited when the first Note was announced. Every new smartphone with the exception of the iPhones are no longer ideal for me to hold one-handed. I'd rather get a Nokia Lumia 800 over the Lumia 900 just because it is smaller. And 3.5-inches to 4-inches isn't much of a difference. People are asking for 4-inch iPhone screens and you won't notice much of a difference with that 0.5 extra. Just get a separate tablet at over 7+ inches. But it looks like many manufacturers want a mini-tablet in our pocket as we are getting some of the biggest cell phones since the 80's.