I know this has been covered but why do tabs in Safari refresh so quickly?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by TH55, Oct 1, 2014.

1. TH55 macrumors 68030

As in I will switch from Safari into my Messages real quickly to reply to a text, literally 10 seconds later when I switch back to Safari it is a white screen and it reloads the page, making me completely lose my place and worse sometimes everything I've typed. I remember the refresh times were much longer in iOS 4/5/6, it was never instant like it is now. What happened?

2. xfusejc macrumors 6502

3. lordofthereef macrumors G5

lordofthereef

4. T4R06 macrumors 65816

5. TH55 thread starter macrumors 68030

Did older iPhones/iOS have more? If not why didn't it used to do this

6. dotme macrumors 6502a

I can only assume later iOS versions are using more, leaving less for Safari. It is frustrating, especially when you look something up, go back to the web page you were filling out and the whole form has been reset. It's a poor user experience.

7. vgamedude macrumors 6502a

It really really sucked when I heard the iphone 6 had 1gb of ram. This is what I expected from that.

I want an iphone 6 or 6+ but I can't decide if its worth it with this issue and the bending (in the case of the plus).

8. TH55 thread starter macrumors 68030

Wtf is Apples problem

----------

Why don't they increase it?

9. vgamedude macrumors 6502a

I don't know. I guess most of the buyers don't see it as an issue, but I sure do. I think its a big issue. So if apple thinks they can save 5 dollars or however much it would be and sell the same amount of phones I guess they think "why not?".

Anandtech mentioned in their review that they got tab reloads switching between 6 tabs, and even crashes. This is bad in my eyes. Real bad.

10. bidwalj macrumors 65816

What's annoiyng about the refreshing is that on many sites it switches back to the mobile site. I hate mobile sites and it's annoying the browser can't remember to keep the desktop site

11. KingArthurVI macrumors regular

KingArthurVI

I would use the notifications quick reply thing instead of switching over to Messages.

12. leesam macrumors newbie

Great tip but why even have a messages app if thats the only way to avoid a refresh?

13. KingArthurVI macrumors regular

KingArthurVI

I use the Messages app to view earlier messages, to enlarge photos, to view other conversation threads etc. The OP specifically mentioned switching apps to reply a message and switch back to Safari, so thought I'd put it out there to remind people of the quick reply feature. :cool:

14. TH55 thread starter macrumors 68030

How is quick reply in iOS 8?

15. Surf Monkey macrumors 68030

Surf Monkey

Lack of RAM isn't the problem, which is proven by the fact that other browsers on iOS don't have this problem. The issue is crappy Safari coding. The current version is a buggy mess. The page refreshes are the least of the issues it suffers from right now.

16. barjatya macrumors newbie

i have a quick question

does this happens with other browser as well ? for example chrome .

or only just safari ?

17. TH55 thread starter macrumors 68030

Is this the reason for the Facebook app crashing every 10 minutes?

18. TechGod Suspended

TechGod

No. The coders for FB are "special"

19. TH55 thread starter macrumors 68030

Haha ya worst app ever.

20. vgamedude macrumors 6502a

All iPhones have had this tab reload to an extent there is nothing to suggest its software, even anandtech says its RAM and they are very in depth and know what they're talking about.

21. SlCKB0Y macrumors 68040

SlCKB0Y

This reloading happens for me on all browsers which isn't strange since almost all of them use safari for rendering

22. KingArthurVI macrumors regular

KingArthurVI

When the notification comes down from the top of the screen, do a bottom swipe motion.

23. nikhsub1 macrumors 68020

nikhsub1

Everyone claiming 'lack of RAM' aren't quite right. As stated, other browsers don't refresh the way Safari does so it clearly isn't just lack of RAM. It is something in the coding. Other companies throw RAM at problems in the hopes they'll mask the true issue. This is like giving a shopaholic more money to solve the problem.

But I know the truth is no fun around here, it's always better to just blame RAM.

24. xfusejc macrumors 6502

Chrome does it for me. Every time. Even worse than Safari, to be honest.

25. Surf Monkey macrumors 68030

Surf Monkey

Sorry, but I do know what I'm talking about and there's simply no way that the problem is RAM. No Web page is so large that it's maxing out your phone's RAM. You could have a dozen tabs open and a gig of RAM should still be vastly more than you need. Web pages are not resource heavy. The problem is crappy WebKit coding.