I like the iPhone X. I love the iPhone X. But Touch ID is faster. Period.

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by mcdj, Nov 7, 2017.

1. mcdj, Nov 7, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 7, 2017

mcdj macrumors G3

mcdj

Yeah yeah yeah, I know, so many other similar threads...

I’m not advocating returning the X. I’m not saying any other iPhone is overall better.

But facts are facts.

Forgetting evil twins and other lookalikes, the real problem with TouchID isn’t security. It’s speed.

Face ID is slower and less convenient than Touch ID. Period dot.

Since the iPhone 5S, I’ve trained myself to pick up the iPhone “thumb first”.

This means that historically, the phone is already on it's way to being unlocked, or is already so, by the time I get it anywhere near my face.

There were basically 3 variables in the unlock process... cleanliness/dryness of finger, cleanliness/dryness of the home button itself, and what kind of mood the iPhone itself was in on a given day.

Yes, there were rare occasions where it didn’t work for some unknown reason. But the vast majority of unlock attempts were, for me, completed before I could even look at the phone.

Face ID is great in theory. But there are apparently way more variables in the unlock process.

Angle of your face. Height and angle of the phone. Quality/angle of the initial facial scans.

All I know is I have gone from near instantaneous unlocks to often completely unsuccessful unlocks, something which happened with TouchID on only a very small handful of instances.

I have had FAR more unsuccessful or highly delayed unlock attempts in 3 days of X ownership than I did with TouchID over the course of 4 years.

I’m not returning the X, in the hopes that machine learning will eventually kick in and the unlock process will become as reliable and instantaneous as TouchID. But I’m not holding my breath.

The big takeaway here is that in general, Touch ID rendered the phone ready to use before I was actually ready to use it, while FaceID has me ready to use the phone before the phone is ready.

*EDIT* The opinions expressed above, while factual for me, are not necessarily facts for everyone.

2. jamin00 macrumors 6502a

jamin00

Not really fact is it lol. You pick your phone up with your thumb on the button. That seems a bit awkward for me tbh.

For me its completely the opposite so its not fact its just better for you which is good :)

3. Shirasaki macrumors G3

Shirasaki

Face ID unlock has an extra splash screen. Plus the sloooooooooooow animation of entering home, making the Face ID unlock “unbearably” slow (I over exaggerate it, but it is even worse). Apples obsession to animation will cost them.

4. borntrouble macrumors 6502

borntrouble

Apple will collect data and learn from the millions of iPhone X devices in the market right now on how to improve FaceID next year or the year after by creating new and faster algorithms. They will finetune the hardware as well, but big data is necessary for them to bring FaceID to the state where TouchID was when they decided to abandon it.

Anyone who's claiming that FaceID is faster than TouchID is simply wrong.

OP is right. Period.

5. Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

This is a big part of it. Is that Face ID will continue to mature and evolve to improve how the sensors react more quickly to unlocking your iPhone and more efficiently. I imagine Apple will be testing more ways of how someone is positioned as well for accuracy with unlocking the iPhone. But just as touch ID was slower at first, it also improved to how quick it is now. And the same will apply to Face ID eventually as it continues to refine.

6. borntrouble macrumors 6502

borntrouble

I agree!

7. deuxani macrumors 6502

deuxani

FaceID is slower to unlock your phone, but it's faster and more handy to do anything else with your phone (like authenticating apps). If there only was a way to not have to slide up to unlock, it would be very close to the unlocking speed of TouchID.

The biggest issue is that FaceID doesn't work when you have it lying on a table 0,5 meter away from you. But in any other case I already prefer FaceID over TouchID. I've had so many issues with my left thumb (right thumb always works, left thumb only 25% of the time), that having FaceID, which for me has never failed yet in normal use, is a better experience.

8. wchigo macrumors 6502

wchigo

While most reviews I have read seem to echo this sentiment, and I can only go off of those for now since I don't have my own X yet, let's not forget that first-gen Touch ID wasn't exactly speedy and for me personally, had a very high failure rate when my digits were ever-so-slightly damp.

Of course once second-gen Touch ID rolled around it was the best thing since sliced bread. It was fast, accurate and generally fixed the problem I had with failure rate when fingers were slightly wet, though occasionally I had some failures. It definitely made opening my iPad Air 2, with its first-ten Touch ID, a bit of a bummer.

Just keep in mind its the first generation of a technology that was never really implemented that well before (similar to Touch ID before it) and its only going to get better.

9. Ipadfever macrumors 6502a

Ipadfever

You know you will return it , it’s just what day lol.

Face ID has become inconvenient and has almost become a chore!

10. OneMike macrumors 603

OneMike

Touch ID is definitely faster than Face ID and more natural to me.

11. Oridus macrumors 6502a

Oridus

FaceID is much more convenient for me. Especially for reading notifications on the lock screen while keeping them private when the phone knows it’s not me holding it. Logging into any app that uses FaceID is a dream. Just open and it logs in. No adjusting my hand for touchID.... it just logs in.

Apple Pay feels better now that I don’t have to hold my thumb in a specific spot to authenticate, and pulling up my wallet from anywhere with the double tap on the home button is fantastic. Having my phone on a dock on my desk means my phone unlocks for me without having to pick up my phone or type in my pin, a quick glance will do the trick. I love it.

12. mobidutch macrumors member

Agree with the OP. It was enough of an annoyance for me to return the X. I think FaceID would be much better if you could somehow skip that annoying swipe-up motion. It's just awkward all the way from the bottom, I often ended up having to use both hands.

Also, I often use my phone while it is laying somewhere on my desk without picking it up. That's a no-go with FaceID.

I do agree however that FaceID is nice for third party apps, e.g. a bank app. You're already looking at the phone when you open such an app, so for these scenarios FaceID authentication beats TouchID in terms of convenience.

13. fjd726 macrumors 6502

I hate the Face ID as well. More steps than necessary.

14. Koobs macrumors 6502

Koobs

They can’t make it too good right away. They need to give you a reason to buy next years phone.

15. Newtons Apple macrumors Core

Newtons Apple

After using the X for three days, I jumped back to the 8+ and could not be more happy. The X is a fine phone but I have noproblem with the size of the 8+. They are all great devices, glad we all have choice. It

16. Jimpilot macrumors 6502a

Jimpilot

So bottom line the technology you’re used to and has reached its technical end is better than the new technology you’re not yet used to and is in its infancy.

Face ID is first version, it is going to mature and leave Touch ID behind.

17. Ipadfever macrumors 6502a

Ipadfever

What made you return it?

18. redman042 macrumors 68030

redman042

I'm mostly quite happy with FaceID. It is not perfect though, and I can see why some are bothered by it.

Most of the time it recognizes me and unlocks quick enough that I'm not delayed in getting to whatever it is I want to do.

Also, it has eliminated the need for me to move my thumb to the sensor when opening a banking or security app or slide a notification on the lock screen to go to the notifying app. FaceID has made these things super convenient.

I also don't need to worry about wet or gloved hands anymore. Really nice.

Downsides include difficulty unlocking when in the car mount (though I have less issues than most since my mount is up high just to the right of the steering wheel). I've also had it completely fail to unlock, though in these cases clicking the sleep/wake button then waking it again fixes it right away. For this reason, it doesn't seem so much like a facial recognition error but instead a software glitch.

My bottom line is that I'm happy with the X though looking forward to some additional software optimization. It wasn't much different when TouchID first came out.

19. iEnvy macrumors 65816

iEnvy

It works fast in some cases but its just inconsistent for me. Picking up the X and looking at the phone sometimes causes a fail. This results me just turning the phone away and turning it back to me where it finally unlocks. A bit annoying. On occasion, glasses causes multiple failures throughout the day.

Ultimately I feel like this is software issue that could be improved through future updates. I'm interested in seeing how this goes. I do miss Touch ID.

20. D.T. macrumors G3

D.T.

The FID technology, in a vacuum, is a bit slower, but I'm finding the overall experience to be the same, because it feels more organic. Like TID always felt like a very specific step in using the phone, FID just kind of happens. Plus, I'm an outlier in terms of reading fingerprints.

You can't say 'as well', as the OP didn't say they hate FaceID :)

21. WilliamG macrumors G3

Touch ID is faster in some uses and slower in others.

Message Notification comes in...

With Touch ID, to get into the Messages app it’s touch/swipe the notification, then move thumb down for Touch ID, and then I’m in.

With Face ID, it’s simply touch the notification and I’m in (and the same goes for any app).

That’s waaaaay less work.

22. QCassidy352 macrumors G4

QCassidy352

I keep seeing this argument, and I don’t see how it’s a persuasive defense of Face ID.

First and foremost, the possibility of a better second gen doesn’t change the experience one bit for someone using an X today. Second, X buyers paid the highest price ever for an iPhone. It’s not like Apple cut people a discount in recognition of the fact that the tech isn’t mature. Third, Face ID is marketed as a flagship feature, not a beta product. And fourth, nobody would be bothered by Face ID’s growing pains if it existed side by side with Touch ID, but it doesn’t. They killed a much-beloved feature and bragged that the replacement was clearly superior, and that doesn’t seem to be the reality for many users.

23. nrvna76 macrumors 6502a

2177BFB8-EEC1-4743-B820-2F2DC5782A2C.gif
    I’m not going to argue with your experience but this is not the first post that states opinions are facts. You even state that “facts are facts”.

The unlock process is different now. So for certain people it may add convenience, for others the opposite. I had touchid fail quite often actually and faceid is nearly perfect for me. I raise to unlock and swipe, in less than one second it’s unlocked.

24. haqsha23 macrumors 6502a

haqsha23

Wow. Now I know that people have actually lost it. We're talking about a half second being something of actual importance? Not to mention that Touch ID was much slower when it was first introduced in the 5S. FaceID will get faster with each passing year.

25. rangers97 macrumors newbie

rangers97

What am I missing here...... I pick up my Iphone X and before I can even do anything the phone unlocks. Not sure how much faster it can be and surely faster than typing in a code.

Also way better in Apple Pay when having to do Touch ID with phone pressed against a small POS monitor.