I like the portability of the macbook but like the connections of the Imac

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Zmmin3, Feb 20, 2009.

1. Zmmin3 macrumors regular

Another here that will be taking the jump to Apple in the next couple of months.

I had originally settled on getting an Imac but recently have begun to take my Windows laptop a few more places. So I started looking at the Macbook with the intentions of plugging in an external monitor(for photo editing), keyboard, and mouse then basically using it as a desktop replacement that I could still take places when I needed it to.

The concern is this, only having 2 usb connections. With my current laptop I have a mouse, external keyboard, external hard drive and digital camera plugged into it.

How is the macbook when it comes to hubs? Plus from past experiences I know some external components dont work well with hubs.

Am I better off just going with the Imac then?

2. Demosthenes X macrumors 68000

Demosthenes X

Any external USB hub will work with the MacBook.

3. and09890 macrumors newbie

It sounds like the new LED display from apple would be perfect for you, if a bit expensive. It acts as both an external display and a "dock" for the MacBook.

From what I understand about the display, it is essentially an iMac which outsources the computer components to the laptop connected to it.

4. Spares macrumors member

Also FWIW, the apple keyboard has 2 USB ports if im not mistakin