I liked the look of iOS 7 until I installed it...

Discussion in 'iOS 7' started by JohnnyW2001, Aug 28, 2013.

1. JohnnyW2001, Aug 28, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 28, 2013

JohnnyW2001 macrumors regular

JohnnyW2001

All,

When I first saw iOS 7 in the Apple keynote speech, I was super stoked. I was getting so frustrated with iOS6 -- years and years of exactly the same look. Finally my iPhone was getting a complete graphical overhaul, and it was exciting. I wanted to see it in action ASAP.

I went ahead and installed iOS 7 on my iPhone 4S and, even through all the betas, over these past few months, I've still not grown to love it the same way I did with iOS6. Something about the previous version of iOS was undeniably beautiful. Sure, it may have been antiquated, but it was still beautiful. The kind of beauty and simplicity that appealed to everyone.

The new design is definitely cleaner and simpler than iOS6. The lack of boxes around buttons gives everything more breathing room... but it also means that everything lacks obviousness, and feels less connected. Even though I work in tech, I liked how foolproof iOS6 was. I never had to think about what I was doing and everything just worked.

I think Steve Jobs's original plan was always to create a machine that appealed to everyone, young and old, and was as simple and as it was powerful. Your grandma could use it as well as your six year old niece, and everyone liked how it looked. Hell, it was so simple and welcoming that they didn't even need to include a manual!

Now I feel they're excluding lots of people by going with the trendy look sported by things like Windows 8, Android, HTC, etc. Yes, they all look modern, but they're also lacking something... warmth? Inclusiveness? Ease of use? iOS7 now feels the same as those OS's. It used to feel friendly and inclusive, but now it feels it's only aimed at a particular demographic. It's no longer super friendly and welcoming.

I honestly don't know if I could recommend one to my mum anymore.

I got exactly what I thought I wanted... but now I don't like it. It's going to be interesting to see how the rest of the world reacts when it comes out in September.

The moral of the story is: Be careful what you wish for...

2. cmChimera macrumors 68040

cmChimera

And so you would recommend Windows Phone 8 or Android? You find those OSs to be simpler?

3. JohnnyW2001 thread starter macrumors regular

JohnnyW2001

No. That's exactly the opposite of what I just said: I find iOS7 to be as exclusive as those operating systems, whereas iOS6 wasn't.

4. teknikal90 macrumors 68030

teknikal90

do not understand how you came to that conclusion after reading his post.

5. cmChimera macrumors 68040

cmChimera

Exactly, so what would you recommend instead? The functionality of iOS is almost unchanged. The back button is still in the same place, it simply doesn't have a button outline anymore. Settings is still exactly the same, and the grid of app icons remains the same. I suppose I just don't see how the phone has become more difficult to understand.

The post was too long, I missed the fact that he mentioned the other OSs being equally difficult.

6. Armen macrumors 604

Armen

I can understand how you personally do not like the way iOS 7 may look but Apple did not change the way it works.

Whoever is familiar with iOS 5 or 6 can easily use 7 without any problems. The only adjustment would be getting used to the icons. People will still instinctively tap the top left corner of a app window to go back even without a clearly defined Arrow. It looks like a familiar hyperlink you see on web sites.

7. Michael Goff macrumors G3

Michael Goff

I don't get how iOS is any less intuitive to us than before.

8. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

I feel pretty much the same as the OP regarding iOS 7, and my answer is, nothing. I would no longer recommend a not very technologically inclined person to get a tablet / smartphone.

That said, I recently had to set up the email on my boss' new Galaxy S4, and it drove me up the wall. For myself, I prefer iOS 7 to that.

But the point is, until now, I felt comfortable recommending iOS devices to not so tech savvy people, because I felt most of it was intuitive, and what wasn't intuitive was easy to explain over the phone. Now, I feel like I'll be getting phone calls asking me how to do every single step. I mean, after using iOS 7 beta for a few months, *I* still can't remember which Safari icon does what! Definitely not as user friendly as previous iOS versions.

And the thing is, this is even stated in the keynote -- something along the lines of, "People already know how to use iOS, so it's okay not to do as much hand holding any more." Well, I think that's the wrong attitude to have. 1. There are still people who have never used iOS before. 2. Even for existing users, some of the "hand holding" elements made the system easier to use.

9. Sodner macrumors 68020

Sodner

My 12 year old daughter made the switch from 6 to 7 and is having zero difficulty using it. :rolleyes:

10. canucksfan88 macrumors 6502a

canucksfan88

sorry...how is iOS any different or more difficult....

11. Zerilos macrumors 6502a

I've always understood the people who dislike the look of iOS 7, but still haven't seen anyone explain why they might think that iOS 7 is more difficult to use. The lack of an outline around the icons? Seriously, is this really a technological hurdle that may prevent people from understanding how iOS works? The function on iOS 7 is almost identicle to that of 6, except for the addition of CC shortcuts.

12. bearda macrumors 6502

I think the OP has a point, not for people transitioning from iOS 6 to 7 but for those picking up an iOS device for the first time. Pretty much everyone here has used iOS. Yeah, you know where to click because you've been clicking there for years. The lack of a box around the target isn't an issue. But consider for a second someone who's picking up an iPhone for the first time. I do believe those users will have a harder time than one who picked up the same device running iOS 6.

My mother-in-law is going a smart phone (probably an iPhone) for the first time in the fall. She's been pretty happy with feature phones for years but is started to get interested in being able to see what her family is doing on Facebook and mobile messaging. MY father-in-law just switched to a sharing plan where the delay between her having an iPhone and a feature phone isn't really significant. I can totally understand how iOS 6 would be easier for her to start with than iOS 7.

To the guy whose 12 year old daughter made the switch, is that really a surprise? Kids are incredibly adaptable, and is part of a generation that's never lived without mobile computing devices. Try the same with a 50 year old housewife who's never used a smartphone or tablet.

I like the iOS look overall from the perspective of having a cleaner, more modern design. Part of that modern look is having fewer dependencies on familiar real-world concepts, though. Buttons don't always look like physical buttons, etc. Although that may be appealing to tech savvy individuals the same isn't necessarily true of those less comfortable with technology.

13. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

I suppose some people feel it more than others, but yes, for me, something looking like a button makes it easier to find on the screen than just having the text in a different color. And because I'm used to it on iOS 1-6, and I'm also more tech-savvy than average, I'll adjust to the lack of buttons and keep using iOS. But I think my less tech-savvy family and friends will probably just think it's too difficult to use and just give up, just like they would buy PCs and hardly ever use them.

It's all subjective, of course. Just like the many people complaining that the animations in iOS 7 are too slow. For those not bothered by that, it's like, it's only a few seconds, what's the rush? But the people who are annoyed by it are really annoyed. Same thing with lack of buttons. People who want buttons really want buttons, people who are okay with text links just don't see why it's a big deal.

14. Tom G. macrumors 68000

Tom G.

Nobody, (not Apple or Android, nor Microsoft) can do this as you yourself have proved. The best anyone can do is to create a machine that MOST everyone, young and old can easily use. And Apple has most certainly done this throughout all the iterations of IOS including, according to most posts on this forum, IOS7

Most users of IOS7 have had no problem using it, but for some reason you do. You are in that small percentage of those who apparently cannot adapt to something new, even though it is essentially the same as that which it is replacing.

Now you want Apple to change IOS7 so you can use it.

15. doug in albq Suspended

doug in albq

A 12 year old kid is way more tech-savvy than a 6 year old or even a 10 year old and also a 70 year old. I have a 12 year old son, and he knows almost as much about iOS and the web as I do...and I am an app & website designer and website developer!

16. Sodner macrumors 68020

Sodner

I guess your right. Kids these days figure tech out pretty quickly. It's worth noting that I have not upgraded the wife to 7 yet as I'm not ready to deal with her questions and complaints. ;)

17. thekingofnerds macrumors regular

I agree. It does need a TLDR.

18. JohnnyW2001, Aug 28, 2013

JohnnyW2001 thread starter macrumors regular

JohnnyW2001

Congratulations on not bothering to read the post you took the time to respond to.

19. Tammster macrumors 6502

Tammster

While some people might think that some things aren't as intuitive as before (I honestly don't see it) I think there are also many things that are now more intuitive.

For example:
    -I think it's MUCH easier to use the browser when there is only ONE box that you have to type in (no separate search box).
    -Now the control center makes it much easier to do simple things. For some extremely non tech people (grandma), settings are very confusing and they don't like going there at all.
    -In messaging it's much easier (and obvious) how to go directly to a contact's information, or to just call them from there. Before you had to scroll WAY up to the top of tons of messages to get there.
    -The camera app has many more simple features. I'm sure very few people I know (untechie people) had any idea how to find the HDR feature. Now it's just right there on top. It's also MUCH simpler to figure out how to do a pano or video.

These are just a few quick things off the top of my head. I think the majority of brand new users (techie & untechie) will still enjoy the simplicity, while also appreciating the beauty.

20. JohnnyW2001 thread starter macrumors regular

JohnnyW2001

I just timed myself. It took me 60 seconds to read the original post. Aren't you ashamed that you can't read for 60 seconds?

21. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

This, I've never understood. To me, searching for something, and wanting to type in the URL for a website feels like two totally separate activities, and having only one box to do it makes me very nervous. Like, how does it know I want to search for NY Tmes, I don't want to go to their website? Or I want to search for apple jam, not go to apple.com?

Anyway, I do agree that iOS 7 brings many improvements, but I feel like they could have done that *and* kept the buttons, if you see what I mean?

22. 3bs macrumors 603

3bs

And you call yourself tech savvy :eek:

23. Tammster, Aug 28, 2013

Tammster macrumors 6502

Tammster

;) I do get what you're saying but I have really gotten used to it and LOVE it (wish Firefox on my desktop had that).

Having said that, I tested it out as I never considered it that way.

new york times brought up google.
    newyorktimes also brought up google.
    nytimes brought up google too but nytimes.com brought up the website.

Those all make sense. I guess adding the .com (or dot whatever) tells safari you need an actual site vs a search?

Agreed, they could have; not sure (yet) if they should have.

24. ajiuo macrumors 65816

For the most part I don't think that IOS7 is any less simplistic then IOS6... There are a few things that might confuse some non tech savvy people though..

I think the thing that will get the most complaints is Safari.. I love the ui.. But its not really obvious on how to use it.. Some people might have a hard time figuring out how to get the navigation bar to pop up

That is really the only major issue I see people having... Other then that everything works exactly the same and is just as simple.

25. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

Sounds good! I suppose I'll get used to it once I start using it. It just strikes me as a weird thing to change, because it's not like I ever had to stop and think "Hmmm, which box do I type in?" One box was for search, and the other was for urls I already knew. Two totally separate things, at least in my mind.

As for the changes in iOS 7 UI, I'm very curious to see how the general public reacts to it once it comes out. Will they hate it, love it, or be indifferent? Interesting times ahead!