I lost my iphone 4 white yesterday (june 21st, 2011)

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by sungah5815, Jun 22, 2011.

1. sungah5815 macrumors newbie

On June 21st, 2011, I lost it at Fair oaks Mall in Fairfax, Virginia in Forever 21 store around 6:15-6:30pm. While I was trying on rings, I placed it on the table next to me, and when I realized my phone was gone after I purchased my items it was already gone. I literally searched the store for two hours and was out of luck. If anyone seen someone or knows who might have done this, please contact me through sungah329@yahoo.com and reward will be given. It's iphone 4 white with a cover that's pink on the sides and gray plastic on the back. I know how powerful internet is, and hope the person who took my phone realize how immortal thing she/he have conducted and put a suffering on a person.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------

After spending more than 24hours trying to get my iphone back on my hands, I got to a point that everything is useless and that I have no hope. So I decided to share with others who might be in same or will end up in similar situation.

I did not have Find My Iphone App downloaded on it since it's been only 3weeks since I bought it and never thought it would be stolen like that, I wasn't able to located it (the bastard who stole it turned it off anyways).

I have reported it as a crime to a police, left alternative number at the store, but still nothing.

I have suspended my number from AT&T so that the bastard won't be able to use it.

I just want to advise others in future if they ever lose their iphones:
    1. search CAREFULLY. Trace where you might have left it.
    2. if you have find my iphone app on it, trace that.
    2. Report it to a police
    3. call your phone service and see if they can do anything with insurance
    4. if you bought your iphone with a credit card, the credit card's insurance might be able to refund you but this varies among the cards.
    5. really, Apple will not do anything about your stolen/lost iphone.
    6. JUST DON'T LOSE IT.

personally, I bought it with capital one card and was hoping that I could get money back at least since it's a big company and was assure that I had the insurance to cover it, and I found out theft/stolen/loss a product insurance was only for Mastercards professional and bussiness and not for Platinum with regular Mastercard.

2. ap3604 macrumors 68000

Stuff like this makes me sick to my stomach.

A couple of months ago I found a iPhone 3gs at Target and didn't trust the employees to return it so I kept it on and waited for a phone call to let them know I had the phone and where he could pick it up at. The guy came and offered me a $50 reward but I just told him to keep his money and make sure to do the same for the next guy whose iPhone he finds.

Sorry to hear brotha :(

3. awadeee macrumors 68020

awadeee

That's unfortunate, sorry for your loss. :( This is why it's important to keep expensive things either in a pocket or a bag.

4. blueroom macrumors 603

blueroom

Find My iPhone should be preinstalled or at the least a notice in the box on new iPhones.

5. happyrock macrumors newbie

If you filed a police report, make sure they have your phones serial number, which you should have somewhere. Have the police forward it to Apple, so if anyone ever takes it in to the Genius Bar, it can get flagged. If the police don't send them the serial number though, Apple won't do anything

6. saving107, Jun 22, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 22, 2011

saving107 macrumors 603

saving107

It will be in iOS 5 during the initial set-up of the phone.

[​IMG][​IMG]

7. Frenchjay macrumors 68000

Frenchjay

Sorry to hear you lost your phone :(

I think it's important to get insurance if you have anything that valuable that could easily be lost. I pay 15£ a month for my insurance that covers theft, loss and all types of damage. I've never lost a phone but i still buy insurance just incase!!

8. nateo200 macrumors 68030

nateo200

And it sure as hell shouldn't be able to be shut off without a pass code!

9. xdbuix macrumors 6502

I live 20 min away and i'm always at Fair Oaks. If i find it, ill let you know!

I hope you do find it though.

10. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

I'm sorry to hear about your loss. It really does suck losing something 3 weeks old. Hopefully you will be able to get yourself a new one. Don't leave it out on a counter like that. It most certainly will got stolen without question. Too bad it wasn't a Verizon iPhone. Then you could have flagged the ESN and the thief would not be able to use it

When you first plug in your device to iTunes for the very first time, I believe it reminds you to set it up.

11. info macrumors member

info

I too am very sorry to hear that you lost your phone, I lost an iTouch once and it was traumatic. Hope that you are lucky enough to somehow get it back...

12. Defender2010 macrumors 68030

Defender2010

You should have added Find My iPhone app immediately,,,,,,not Facebook or suchlike....3 weeks is long enough to do so.

13. ap3604 macrumors 68000

Classy response... real classy :rolleyes:

14. Defender2010 macrumors 68030

Defender2010

Nothing to do with class....I just have no sympathy for people who lose expensive items. Sorry....I ll stick by my comment.

15. Bijiont macrumors newbie

While not as blunt I have to agree,

We pay a lot of money for phones these days and the last thing we want is for it to be broken or stolen.

Apple gives us the ability to track down lost hardware with Find My iPhone which should be installed just like you place a screen protector or case on a phone.

iOS5 having this as part of the initial setup just shows how important this is.

16. joemod macrumors regular

Nevertheless, OP came in and wrote down about his loss, to feel better, to require assistance and to provide some advice to potential victims.
    You contributed nothing to the thread and there was no reason to be harsh over the internet to someone you don't know.

17. Defender2010 macrumors 68030

Defender2010

I deal with people who lose/damage expensive items almost every day at work. A lot of the time they "just put down for a moment" or "thought it would be ok to leave it on the table" in a public place. Long gone are the days where one can leave any item worth value in sight of potential thieves and expect it to stay there. The "harsh" reality is that there are thieves everywhere and we should all be aware of this. Items such as iOS devices are particularly attractive to thieves in bars, restaurants, shopping malls etc, so why would any owner not be aware of this after purchasing such an expensive desirable object? Ignorance? Lack of info about the area? The list is non exhaustive....all I am saying is, be aware of what you are doing, dont give thieves an opportunity to steal something you know people want! Plus, find my iPhone will locate the phone once the thief eventually turns it on therefore this is such a valuable app to have on your iOS devices....accidents obviously happen.
    I think the OP is female, (pink and grey case), not male....OP: sorry for your loss. Hopefully you have appropriate insurance.

18. BlindMellon macrumors 65816

BlindMellon

Sorry for your loss, but I never lay my phone down anywhere public. Not for a second. My friend lost his iPhone the same way by setting it down in a restaurant. These things are serious targets and should be treated as such.

19. johndallas999 macrumors 6502a

johndallas999

I agree with them both. I think though that the casual iphone user isn't aware of the find my iphone feature though. I know alot of people i've talked to about it had no idea it existed.

20. acfusion29 macrumors 68040

acfusion29

it really should.

people lose iPhone's all the time at my work. a few days ago i told the guy to go on my iPhone and put his login info into findmyiPhone. unfortunately, he didn't have it set up.

21. iceterminal macrumors 68000

iceterminal

Uh, you don't need to install the "Find my iPhone" application in order to find your iphone. You do have to set the phone up for it to work, but you do not need the actual app installed.
    http://www.apple.com/iphone/find-my-iphone-setup/
    You only need the app to find a lost iPhone/iPod Touch/iPad.

OP, sorry to hear you lost your phone and someone has stolen it. I can imagine the level of suck it must be. I sincerely hope the thief contracts a serious case of onion crotch, and your troubles fade as you get a new iPhone.

22. heisenberg123 macrumors 603

heisenberg123

awesome post thanks

23. rmhop81 macrumors 68020

rmhop81

idk, it could be MR. PINK

;)

24. kicko macrumors 65816

either way its its uncalled for.

Even if find my iphone was installed it still doesnt give anyone the right to take whats not theirs.

25. CupertinoRat macrumors member

Don't the police have more important things to do than chase lost toys? Just saying. I don't want my tax dollars wasted on lost iToys.

I hope it's not insensitive for me to say it.