I lost my iPhone... Can I buy a different phone make (other than iPhone)

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Jst3216, Oct 4, 2008.

1. Jst3216 macrumors newbie

I lost my :apple:iPhone on Friday...:eek: ... To be honest, I really dont want to go crazy searching warranty detail and such.

Can I just go buy a different (CHEAPER) phone at an ATT store, and not another iPhone? :confused:

2. Jeremy1026 macrumors 68020

Jeremy1026

Yes, you can get any AT&T phone, without getting extra charges (a.k.a. the breach of contract ETF)

3. Jst3216 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank for the response.. Now... what if I did want to get a new Iphone? Can I just pay the $199 price for the 8GB 3G? Which is the same one that I lost....

Anybody know how that works?

4. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Afraid not. The $199 price is based on a 2 year contract. You will have to pay the full price for another iPhone.

5. Diseal3 macrumors 65816

No you will have to pay full retail ($599) unless you extend the contract for antoher 2 years with At&t then you can pay 199.

6. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

The only way to pay the subsidized price "again" would require that you purchase another iPhone on someone else's upgrade availability on your account. Your best bet is to buy another iPhone at full pop...:(

7. Jst3216 thread starter macrumors newbie

Really? All I have to do is Renew? Ive only had the contract for 3 months. I dont see a problem with starting over. In this case i can pay $199 again without any problems??

Thats not bad at all. PLease let me know Im geitting this right

8. abijnk macrumors 68040

abijnk

No this isn't right. You can't just renew whenever you want to and get another phone at a subsidized price, that's wha the whole "upgrade eligibility" is about. I'm afraid you will have to pay full retail.

9. Vandam500 macrumors 68000

Vandam500

100% Accurate

10. Jst3216 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the response. But damn, that doesnt sound fair at all. Any way of getting around this?

Im not just trying to have another one, I really did lose it, and if Im under contract they should at least try to help out.

Am I S.O.L. ?

11. abijnk macrumors 68040

abijnk

Well, you know, I hate be the one to tell you this, but companies aren't going to take away your personal responsibility. Please note that the key in all of this is YOU lost it, not Apple, not AT&T. :eek:

12. Jst3216 thread starter macrumors newbie

Yeah I know what you mean, but the price tag hurts ya know! I appreciate everyones help!

13. abijnk macrumors 68040

abijnk

I understand all to well! Good luck!

14. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

If you are the sort of person who is likely to loose expensive high-end phones you should take out insurance.

15. dccorona macrumors 68020

dccorona

if you had the original iPhone then you can upgrade to the 3g for the subsidized price

16. Jst3216 thread starter macrumors newbie

Ah! Excellent. I have a friend with a well kept 2G....... Ill pay him $199 for that one, and he can use that $$$ toward a 3G for him.

Thanks

17. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

Once you go to the v1 iPhone, give AT&T a call and tell them that you lost your 3G iphone and that you are now utilizing the v1 iPhone and they need to adjust to the $20 data plan. Maybe they can work something out since they'll be losing $10 a month for the remainder of your contract with them...:cool:

18. Johnbmx26 macrumors newbie

When I broke my iphone.. I was able to get a free phone.. but this may have been because I've been with them for so long. It wasn't a great phone.. but it worked.

Though, I spended extra money to get an LG Vu. Hated it. Sold it. Then, I bought a Sony K850i. I'm really close to selling it and just getting a non-3g iPhone. Which I should've just done in the first place.