Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

NEENAHBOY

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 15, 2004
Arlington, VA
I am very disappointed in myself right now. I let one slip away. I still am in shock. I tried in vain for two hours trying to convince a friend of the family to go Mac. He only uses it for the Internet anyway, I reasoned. But he wouldn't budge. And eventually, I gave in.

The real kicker here, though, is that I actually had to order the Dell for him FROM my PB G4 because (stifled laughter) his Gateway was too bogged down to make the webpage load. I will never look at my PowerBook the same way again.

Similar tales of woe are appreciated to help me feel a tad bit better about myself. :(

applemacdude

macrumors 68040
Mar 26, 2001
Over The Rainbow
NEENAHBOY said:
I am very disappointed in myself right now. I let one slip away. I still am in shock. I tried in vain for two hours trying to convince a friend of the family to go Mac. He only uses it for the Internet anyway, I reasoned. But he wouldn't budge. And eventually, I gave in.

The real kicker here, though, is that I actually had to order the Dell for him FROM my PB G4 because (stifled laughter) his Gateway was too bogged down to make the webpage load. I will never look at my PowerBook the same way again.

Similar tales of woe are appreciated to help me feel a tad bit better about myself. :(

Well if they where dumb enough not to pick a Mac maybe then they don't deserve a mac...

bastardx

macrumors member
May 16, 2003
Eugene, OR
Sucks, I just got my brother to buy my 12" powerbook from me, so now all of my PC using Dad's children use Macs. :D Although hopefully you convinced him to get complete care + extra warranty, because he'll probably need it.

NEENAHBOY

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 15, 2004
Arlington, VA
bastardx said:
Sucks, I just got my brother to buy my 12" powerbook from me, so now all of my PC using Dad's children use Macs. :D Although hopefully you convinced him to get complete care + extra warranty, because he'll probably need it.

Actually, he got NO extra warranty. He is a true moron.

jimsowden

macrumors 68000
Sep 6, 2003
NY
NEENAHBOY said:
The real kicker here, though, is that I actually had to order the Dell for him FROM my PB G4
I hear there is a built in function in Safari that punches you in the face for pulling sh:t like that.

TDM21

macrumors 6502a
Jul 7, 2004
jimsowden said:
I hear there is a built in function in Safari that punches you in the face for pulling sh:t like that.

LOL. I haven't discovered that part of Safari yet. I have surfed to Microsoft, Dell, Gateway, HP, Compaq, Sony, and IBM. I was waiting for an error message to popup and tell me I was at the wrong site then redirect me to Apple.

It would be funny though. :eek:

madforrit

macrumors regular
Jul 23, 2002
Berkeley, CA
NEENAHBOY said:

Ouch.

My gf had to switch back to PC after switching several years ago. Her law school doesn't allow Macs because the software they use to administer exams is PC only - basically they can't figure out how to lock the user out of any other software (e.g. web browser) in OS X - you don't want the sneaky law students looking up info online or in a Word doc while they take their exam of couse. So she had to go with a Dell, grudgingly. The poor girl had her heart set on a powerbook as her law school computer only to have those dreams crushed. :(

Just a fun tidbit - We like to name our computers using Arabic adjectives, cuz she took a lot of Arabic classes while in college.

Her Dell: "Mumil" (boring)
My G5: "Kabir" (big)
My 15" Alubook: "Ahla" (most beautiful)

Ryan1524

macrumors 68020
Apr 9, 2003
Canada GTA
you're not the only one. i have a friend who stubbornly wants a dell. i recommended him a Thinkpad or at least a toshiba. but he won't budge. he WANTS a dell. saddest thing is...iu'm probly gonna be doing house-calls for him once he got it. *sigh. they never learn. and this is after i reformat his PC once cause it's too messed up. and another one says she has a budget of 2000$CAD, the 12" PB fits her perfectly..but she wants a dell or a huge compaq instead. bah. :rolleyes:

but good news is i've successfully converted a friend to a 12" PB, and am now looking for another 12" for my dad. he's had enough of his PC notebook. and we'll probly gonna equip the store with either an old powermac or an imac soon too. yeay!! :cool:

MacAficionado

macrumors 6502
Oct 5, 2002
An awesome place
applemacdude said:
Well if they where dumb enough not to pick a Mac maybe then they don't deserve a mac...

That's the way I see it.

Including my idiot brother who got a Dell, 1 month later he calls me about problems with spyware and system slowness!!!

I sent him a Word document that said:

"You're a dumbass!

Made on a Mac."

dotnina

macrumors 6502a
Aug 19, 2004
We had two Powerbook owners and one Apple groupie begging a girl to stay away from the hideous garguntuan widescreen HP laptop ... but no. She bought it and she's actually taking it around in public ... tsk, some people have no shame. ;)

ispeakmango

macrumors member
Jan 23, 2004
after getting my 12" pb i converted both my mom and my step dad after their old pc's (hp laptop and compaq desktop) just died. he now has a 12" ibook and she has an emac. they also both want an ipod since i got mine.

Mord

macrumors G4
Aug 24, 2003
UK
i love haveing my whole family being mac users :D

i do have a few time bomb dells that people will call me up about for help when i told them to get a mac, i begged them and pleaded i mean it's not like they get decent dells just these £600 integrated pieces of crap that cant even handle a game of quake 3 team arena.

when it breaks i will remind them that a mac would not be doing this

i have one friend that is convinced that macs get viruses too because one of his friends has an original imac that is running 10.1 and is slow as hell. he thinks viruses cause your computer to be slow and thats it. the mac is 5 years old what dose he expect when it's chugging on 128mb ram and the HD is full to the brim.

Applespider

macrumors G4
Ryan1524 said:
he WANTS a dell. saddest thing is...iu'm probly gonna be doing house-calls for him once he got it.

So he never really learns since you do all the hard work in setting up and fixing his PC when it gets bogged down. So there's no real incentive to switch. My family ask me for PC advice regularly - although thankfully since I'm 500 miles away, I dont' have to drive over and reformat them. I've now told them that if they insist on buying an XP machine, I can't help em anymore. 2 so far have now bought Macs!

BornAgainMac

macrumors 604
Feb 4, 2004
Florida Resident
I have PC / Windows users ask me for help all the time. They range from Microsoft Me to 95 to XP. They spend hours and hours trying to fix errors that are poping up and slowness. One day, I showed them my powerbook running virtual PC with 7 different operating systems running at the same time. I had Microsoft Me, 98, 2000, Window NT Server, Mandrake Linux 8.2, and IBM Dos 7.0. I told them that the Mac is so powerful it can run all these operating systems all at the same time. One person even thought it was running Microsoft Me faster than their system. They only had 64 MB of ram on their system. I showed them how you can allocate whatever memory you want to each operating system. They program for a living and I said that comparing Mac OS X to Microsoft Me is liking comparing Visual Basic .NET to Assembly language.

The person that used Microsoft Me asked me if I pirated all that software but I did purchase all of it. I never pirate anything. I explained that when they send you to prison, they only have Microsoft Me available to the prisoners.

wPod

macrumors 68000
Aug 19, 2003
Denver, CO
so my friend has a 2 year old dell laptop. at least once a semester he gets a virus that destroys his files. he also has so much spyware on it that it runs about as fast as a pentium one with 8mb or ram. after his visious x-gf poured laundry detergent all over the dell esentially destroying it he decided to get a new laptop. i tried to convince him to get a mac, he wouldnt have to deal with the viruses and losing all his files and spyware that slowed his computer down. but he wouldnt listen. i refused to help him buy a new one, but i did recomend a processor that was more powerful than a celeron.

on a more positive note i almost have my dad convinced to buy a mac. . . the only problem is 'it wont run dos' (yes he still uses a number of dos applications) but i have almost convinced him to buy a new mac and keep an old windows system in the closet for the one or two times a year he needs to use the dos program. im keeping my fingers crossed

emw

macrumors G4
Aug 2, 2004
wPod said:
on a more positive note i almost have my dad convinced to buy a mac. . . the only problem is 'it wont run dos' (yes he still uses a number of dos applications) but i have almost convinced him to buy a new mac and keep an old windows system in the closet for the one or two times a year he needs to use the dos program. im keeping my fingers crossed

Get him Virtual PC - it'll run the DOS programs on his Mac, so he gets the best of both worlds!

sushi

Moderator emeritus
Jul 19, 2002
キャンプスワ&#
wPod said:
Good luck on converting your dad.

Reference DOS apps. Virtual PC is fast enough for most. You might want to give it a try.

Sushi

Palad1

macrumors 6502a
Feb 24, 2004
London, UK
For DOS don't bother buying VPC, use the free as in beer BOCHS / FreeDos combo.

Your dad will thank you!

Cheers,
Palad1

Jovian9

macrumors 68000
Feb 19, 2003
Planet Zebes
I've had one friend go to Dell. Another wants a laptop, likes my PowerBook, but has a PC desktop and plays lots of games....so he wants them to be compatible......so he's getting a PC laptop, but I convinced him to NOT buy a Dell.
I've convinced 2 friends to buy eMacs.....and my grandmother is buying a Mac at Christmas time.
I've also convinced 2 people to buy iPods (my sister and a friend of mine).
And countless PC people (though not convinced to buy Apple) have been wowed by my G4 iMac, 17" PowerBook, and iPods:)

justin216

macrumors 6502
Mar 31, 2004
Tampa, FL
My college blew my mind: We were a Thinkpad university for 3 years. We had high quality, decent speed laptops to use for this period. This fall, we have become a Dell university, and our Thinkpads were recollected. My school overcharged students on prices, and you have to have a laptop for most classes...I'd hate to work in that help desk when these new computers start going to hell....most students actually believe that the Thinkpads sucked because they were P3 700s and ancient and pieces of junk....well, the Dells are already pieces of junk, and after they get loaded up with spyware and viruses, then it won't be any quicker that those old 700s....I took care of my Thinkpad, just as I do my powerbooks, and found no fault in the machine...sure, it wasn't bleeding edge, but it got most basic java programming done and really didn't crash after I had it tweaked out and firewalled...I dropped that Thinkpad twice onto concrete...didn't even scratch it...if I would have gotten a dell, it would have most likely busted it....

Ohwell...Thank God for Powerbooks! :D Not my problem anymore :cool:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.