I love how Apple still hasn't fixed the camera issue in the Retina MBP.

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by curtisvadnais, Mar 11, 2013.

1. curtisvadnais macrumors newbie

You'd think with the 2013 update they would have caught on that the iSight camera looks like complete ****. Not only that, but it doesn't even record in 720p. It's 720x480. That's 480p! NOT HIGH DEFINITION. Oh, and don't get me started on the fans. This model is an absolute joke. I hope when they do a refresh in June, my model is swapped out. :mad:

2. MisterKeeks macrumors 68000

MisterKeeks

What "2013 update"? I hadn't heard that there was an update to complain about.

3. Asuriyan macrumors 6502a

4. AFDoc macrumors 68030

If you're not happy with your computer return it and get your money back. No need to be so upset, you have the power NOT to accept a product with which you're unhappy.

For the record I have had zero issues with my original 13" rMBP or current 15".

5. Haiku214 macrumors member

6. Ricanlegend macrumors 6502a

7. Sean76 macrumors 6502

Sean76

Dam you sound angry man....Sorry your not happy. Make an appt with the Genius Bar...Mine is fine as a few others have stated.

The next refresh is looking like Oct, not June...That's the actual availability for the Haswell processors, not the release into Apple's computers.

8. xShane macrumors 6502a

xShane

Return it if you don't like it.

You might want to try a cMBP or an iMac.

9. flipnap macrumors 6502

what exactly made you think it recorded 1080p?

what are you trying to record on it? is it really important to have a super high quality video? if so maybe you should try a camera made to record high quality video. most people use theirs for FaceTime or basic video (running around holding a laptop to shoot video of your dog in the yard is a little bulky)

on a side note, my video actually looks fantastic. maybe you have a bad camera

10. Stetrain macrumors 68040

http://www.apple.com/macbook-pro/specs-retina/

If it's actually recording in 480p that doesn't really seem right.

11. flipnap macrumors 6502

what program are you recording your video with?

12. curtisvadnais thread starter macrumors newbie

Photo Booth. Checked resolution/px in the file information.

----------

True 720p isn't even close to the quality of the the so called "HD" camera on the Retina.

----------

I never said 1080p. Trying reading my post again.

13. Chuck-Norris macrumors 6502a

it doesnt work cause u touch urself at night

----------

i apoligize for the rude quote my idiot cousins got on my mac when ileft for the toilet.

14. flipnap, Mar 11, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 11, 2013

flipnap macrumors 6502

that explains it. photobooth only captures 480p. other programs fully utilize the camera. example, if you capture from your retinas camera with something like final cut it will record a MUCH cleaner video at true 720p.

calm down. i know you probably feel silly right about now but it happens. photobooth is a gimmick app. try something else and have fun.

Facetime is also true 720p, facetime isnt meant to record so that wont help, but it uses the true 720p of the camera.

15. curtisvadnais thread starter macrumors newbie

Not even remotely close to true.

16. flipnap macrumors 6502

Jesus man, im trying to help you. are you the kind of guy who doesnt realize a car uses gas then complains about the "crappy ferrari engine doesnt even run?" i just sat here and captured a video from my retina camera into finalcut and the video is true 720p and looks great. theres only two possibilites here. your camera is broken or you dont know how to use a computer. take it into apple and have them look at it if its broken. if its not, i suggest instead of calling people liars you take some initiative and take some courses at the genius bar. either way im starting to wonder if this isnt just some practical joke.

have a nice life

17. curtisvadnais thread starter macrumors newbie

Oh you know it. I just can't help myself. :D

18. swerve147 macrumors 6502a

swerve147

You can also test with iMovie. The camera definitely captures @ 1280x720. I do agree with you however that it looks like crap. Maybe it does better with better lighting (it's 2 AM here).

19. leman macrumors 604

PhotoBooth for some reasons uses the 480p. Other applications can access 720p video. Try QuickTime (File->New Movie Recording, Quality->Max).

20. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

21. flipnap macrumors 6502

hey curtis, hows your camera now that you have all your questions answered? you happy that your "so called" 720 p is actually a 720p? i see you been bitchin about it since december and now you know, so what say ye? do we have to suffer endless posts about the camera not being 720p now? please, for the love of god, give it a rest. yeah?

22. Brian Y macrumors 68040

You do realise 720p has nothing to do with quality, it's resolution. You could have 720 blurry pixels, it would still be HD.

Also, get a grip - it's a webcam on a computer. Let's break that down - web. cam. I.e. a camera designed for sending video over the internet. It's not going to be great quality. If you want to record high quality videos, get a proper camcorder.

You seem set on the fact that this is a $3000 machine, it should have a better camera. A) hardly anyone actually uses the damn thing anyway and B) it's a very very small part of the $3000. A good quality camera will set you back more than that on its own. To use a car analogy, you can't buy a Ford Focus and then complain that it doesn't go like a Ferrari.

Looking over your post history though, you should totally return it, and buy a Dell. That'll be one extra MacBook Pro in the refurb store for people who don't incorrectly obsess over a camera.

----------

The one in the op's head!

23. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

tbh, I didn't buy a laptop because of the camera, while its a nice feature its not the deciding factor

24. trigonometry macrumors 6502

trigonometry

Very true and personally I couldn't care less about my computer's camera but it should record in 720p in all applications if that is what Apple advertises.

25. AutoUnion39 macrumors 601

AutoUnion39

What fan issue? I have a super early rMBP 15inch. Its perfect