I love how light the iPhone 5 is! Just got it today, want to take cover off!

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Krissypantz2828, Jun 18, 2013.

1. Krissypantz2828 macrumors 6502a

Krissypantz2828

Yes I'm a little late in the game but compared to my IP4 this thing is awesome! But question I feel the need to take it out of its protective case because its just so beautiful looking lol, and to think I thought the phone looked ugly when it came out :p but anyways I guess there are the same risk factors when it comes to breaking it right?

2. ghanwani macrumors 6502a

Less risky that iPhone 4 because it's lighter, no glass on back, and front glass edge is not exposed. Plus no Antennagate.
    http://www.cultofmac.com/190499/why...d-why-you-wont-need-a-case-for-your-iphone-5/

What color did you get?

3. Krissypantz2828 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Krissypantz2828

I got white because I'm giving it to mom later when I get the 5S but I would have chosen black .. Tbh I like the white! :) I thought it was too feminine before but it's not really

4. CosmoPilot macrumors 65816

CosmoPilot

The only case I use is an old Oakley sunglasses cloth sleeve. The only reason I use it, is to keep the glass from scratching. I used to go completely naked, but I would garner tiny scratches over the course of a year on the glass. This solution has worked perfectly for me. It's super easy to grip when pulling out of a pocket...super fast taking the phone out of it to answer calls, etc. (i.e., no case when actually using the phone). When finger prints get to much, I have an instant "no scratch" cleaner.

I had to have Apple replace my iPhone 5 a few weeks ago due to a malfunctioning sleep/wake button. The genius asked if I used a case, and I told him "no." His response was, "wow, this is the most pristine iPhone I've ever seen without a case."

I actually have co-workers now, asking to borrow my "case" to clean their iPhones! :D

5. Krissypantz2828 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Krissypantz2828

I never heard of that I will have to look it up! I have the otter box commuter
    Case because I am used to having to protect the phone! But the glass could technically still crack if u drop it on its face I assume

6. Krissypantz2828 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Krissypantz2828

You use a cloth as a case? How does that work lol

7. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

Your screen name sounded very familiar to me. Then I remembered you refused to upgrade to the iPhone 5 all this time because it was too long.

8. Krissypantz2828 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Krissypantz2828

Lol yes you are correct but when it comes down to the speed of my old phone it was bound to happen.

----------

Your point being???

9. Zerilos macrumors 6502a

It's weight was a huge selling point for me. Not even feeling it in my pocket is awesome. A very underrated feature.

10. ross1998 macrumors 6502a

Haha I always get mini heart attacks cause it feels like me phone is gone

11. YeahBuddy macrumors regular

I've had my iPhone 5 since launch day. I was stunned when I first held it. It felt hollow to me. I quickly had front and back screen protectors put on it, and a nice case.

Then I started to watch its durability tests and saw just how durable it was compared to the 4/S design. I replaced my case with a bumper.

Then I noticed all of my friends with 5's had no cases. The weight difference was clear. So I decided to go caseless but keep the screen protectors. Maybe just five minutes later my iPhone was completely naked, and it's been that way since.

I've dropped this phone a lot, even on concrete getting out of my car. It holds up. No issues at all with this phone without a case. That's the way it should be.

12. Krissypantz2828 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Krissypantz2828

Nice thanks for that..I also love how light it feels I couldn't believe it!

----------

Lol

13. Vetvito macrumors 6502a

Do any of you put your phones in your back pocket?

I have the 4S and mines stay in back pocket. Any damage to the 5 doing this?

14. Krissypantz2828 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Krissypantz2828

I put my 5 in there sometimes no problems

15. Robster3 macrumors 68000

16. Vetvito macrumors 6502a

Thanks. That's my only worry as I keep my phone naked.

17. mbp17xxx macrumors regular

when you pick up your iphone 4/4s it feels like a brick :)

18. Krissypantz2828 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Krissypantz2828

19. LindaGeorge macrumors newbie

I use a rubber case to protect my iPhone 5. In case of a fall it will bump and save the mobile crash or damage.

20. TIFrank macrumors newbie

I'd say it's pretty durable but I try to baby it as much as I can.

[​IMG]

21. CosmoPilot, Jun 22, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 22, 2013

CosmoPilot macrumors 65816

CosmoPilot

It works quite well actually. I had to replace my iP5 the other day due to a malfunctioning sleep/wake button and the genius bar assistant was floored at the superior condition my phone was in without a case.

My kids use Otterbox Defender series (at my direction). After a year's worth of use, the glass has marring around the headset speaker due to the exposed nature of the case in that location inviting tiny particles in.

Another useful feature of using the Oakley sleeve is when I need to set the phone down, I always lay the sleeve down first and then lay my iPhone on top of it. Therefore, my iPhone NEVER lays on a bare surface where particles could scratch the glass or back plate.

This might sound cumbersome, but I assure you it is super easy and protects the iPhone from scratches if you prefer to go "naked" like me but want to ensure the iPhone looks mint after a year's worth of use. You were talking about wanting to remove the iP5 from its case. If you don't have some sort of protection (completely naked), the screen will eventually look like ***** from months and months of abuse. The glass on the iPhone is susceptible to tiny hairline scratches from sand particles, zippers, etc. So if you go completely naked, I recommend some sort of screen protection. For me, the screen protectors look like crap after a couple months and I can't imagine using the phone with anything obtrusive on it. So I just slide my iPhone in and out of a silk sleeve and the screen stays in mint condition and clean of finger prints.

22. Krissypantz2828 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Krissypantz2828

Yah right now Im using the otterbox commuter, I find it does its job. I also always have a screen protector on it :) Im not sure how I feel about sleeves though..it could be an idea :)