I love that my iPhone 5s has a notification light for alerts

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by user-name-here, Sep 24, 2013.

1. user-name-here, Sep 24, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 24, 2013

user-name-here macrumors 65816

Old news for some but since this is the first time I'm really starting to use it I figured a thread was in order for those who might not know.

Simply go into Settings -> General -> Accessibility -> Turn on "LED Flash for Alerts".

This way I can put my iPhone face down, knowing that any text message or phone call will cause the LED light to blink so I know to pick it up.

Much better option for me when my phone is on silent than relying on vibrate.

2. celly macrumors 6502

I used it for a few days and found it distracting for me an others. A bit too bright for my liking.

3. user-name-here thread starter macrumors 65816

I personally love it as I would miss things when relying on vibrate in silent mode, but I would never miss anything with the LED alerts.

4. Iphone5preorder macrumors 6502a

Warning.. I was staring into the flash wondering why it wouldn't work and nearly lost my eyesight when it went off.

Does it keep doing it if you don't check the message? Does it work for emails?

5. user-name-here thread starter macrumors 65816

LoL, I take it you have those "sunspots" in your eyes now that won't go away similar when you look at the sun? :D

Yeah, it works for any alerts you want it to. Only goes off once for me since I turned off "repeating alerts" in the settings.

6. Iphone5preorder macrumors 6502a

I'm typing this blindly ;).

So there are settings somewhere? Thanks

7. user-name-here thread starter macrumors 65816

I'm not really sure, just that under Settings -> Notification Center I set up which apps I want alerts for. Most of the time I turn the other apps off. I've only used the LED alerts for Messages and Phone calls so far.

8. snarlz macrumors regular

snarlz

Turned it on as until I read this I didn't know it existed! Just turned it back off as it's annoying me....

9. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

Jailbreak. Install FlashEnhancer. Control when and for what (email, notifications, calls etc), how many times and the duration in between flashes.

Much better than doing this non-jailbroken. Although if you can't jailbreak at least you have this.

10. lulla01 macrumors 68020

lulla01

This is a stupid excuse for notification LED. It is annoying and apple really needs to add a better notification LED system.

11. celly macrumors 6502

I think it only flashes once per alert. Yes, works for emails, hence why I turned it off (I get a ton of email).

12. sjinsjca macrumors 68000

sjinsjca

This has actually been an iOS feature for a while. My iPhone 4, running iOS 6.whatever, had it. It still does on iOS 7.

So those who want to try it don't need to rush out and get a 5S.

Personally, I find this notification too bright. If you're trying to sleep and the dang thing fires off, POW... good luck finding your way back to slumberland after that little supernova goes off.

13. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

Then don't use it.

14. SMELTN macrumors regular

SMELTN

would be cool if we could choose which LED goes off. Maybe the Amber would be a little less intrusive or bright

15. 3bs macrumors 603

3bs

Unsuccessful

Attached Files:

16. Iphone5preorder macrumors 6502a

Whatever, you guys are lame, I love it. But I definitely agree they can do better. I loved blackberry for this reason. You just walked by your phone and saw if you had any emails/messages based on the led

17. skafia macrumors 6502

skafia

The vibration/tone/screen notifies me just fine.

18. user-name-here thread starter macrumors 65816

LoL. I dunno why but I love how you can use the above quote for pretty much anything really :D

Glad you like it as well Iphone5preorder.

19. eyoungren, Sep 24, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 24, 2013

eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

All of which you will miss if you walk away from the place you have set your phone down at and are no longer in range to hear or see.

My old Touch Pro had a LED ring around it's home button. Lit up whenever there was a notification. So if I was at work and left my desk and came back I could see that I had gotten a notification without having to pick the phone up and turn the screen on. With the iPhone you have to physically check by turning the screen on.
    [​IMG]

20. Iphone5preorder macrumors 6502a

We seem to be getting along just dandy on here. We agreed the condom analogy was clever (that was you right), we like the led function, and our usernames are equally creative!

21. user-name-here thread starter macrumors 65816

Great minds think alike my friend :)

Cheers!

22. syan48306 macrumors 6502a

syan48306

I half expected it to be an accessory from Razer.

23. gym007 macrumors newbie

I wish they had one like Blackberry. That's the only thing I miss about when I had a blackberry, the flashing red LED that kept flashing when you had unread messages

24. Blueline29 macrumors 68020

Blueline29

I had an old Motorola flip phone that had the same thing; you could customize the color/colors that illuminated and even the different patterns in which they illuminated. I loved that phone. Ended up having it destroyed by a ham-handed AT&T employee who dropped it and broke it while I was in store inquiring about an early upgrade (I was a phone-whore from the get-go. Lol.) Did get the early upgrade as a result, however.

[​IMG]