I love UPS logistics :/

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by skafia, Sep 26, 2013.

1. skafia, Sep 26, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 26, 2013

skafia macrumors 6502

skafia

I know it's all pre-calculated to save them money, but COME ON, I'd have it (iPhone 5S) by now if it took a direct flight to LA!

[​IMG]

2. Lucille Carter macrumors 65816

Why is the average person against a company making money. It pays people's salary. Or have we forgot this?

3. user-name-here macrumors 65816

That final destination for delivery doesn't look like Los Angeles to me :p

Did you photoshop that picture yourself?

When it comes to an iPhone delivery being stalled a few hours, all bets are off! ;)

4. skafia thread starter macrumors 6502

skafia

It hasn't arrived yet, and yes I did the 'shop myself :)

----------

In 2012, their revenue was US $54.1 billion, operating income was US $1.343 billion, and net income was US $807 million. So they paid everyone's salaries and profited $800M. I ain't crying for them.

5. hansonjohn590 macrumors 6502

Yeah, **** UPS, they should charter a private jet to fly the phone directly to your house.

/sarcasm.

Why do people feel so entitled?

6. joshdammit macrumors 6502

[​IMG]

7. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

As a former UPSer (1992-1999) I can give you some background.

1. Customs is in Alaska. Both FedEx and UPS MUST fly to Alaska for anything shipping from China.
    2. UPS has one MAJOR air hub in Louisville. This is Worldport and from Worldport is where everything ships in the UPS system.

I worked at the Ontario, California International Air Hub. It's the Air hub for the West Coast and is the equivalent of Worldport for UPS on the west coast. Only, it's not even a quarter of the size of Worldport. Your iPhone is going to go from Worldport through Ontario and then on to Los Angeles.

Apple maintains several distribution sites around Worldport and around FedEx's major hub as well which makes it convenient for UPS to control Apple shipments per Apple's instructions.

8. skafia thread starter macrumors 6502

skafia

Thank you very much for this information!

9. madsci954 macrumors 68030

Frankly, I don't care where it goes. Just as long as it's in my hand on or before the estimated delivery date, or UPS can give me a good reason why it was delayed, like inclement weather.

10. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

No problem!

Tip if you want to track your phone. Get your tracking info, find out the latest scan time. Go over to flightaware.com and look up UPS flights. Both UPS and FedEx post their flights to flightaware. Find the UPS flight that is as close to the city scan and time that you already have and compare. That will give you your UPS flight. You can then track your phone in the air and you'll have a pretty good idea of where it is.

Using that info I tracked my iPhone 5 all the way from Louisville to Phoenix on the day before launch day. First and only time my iPhone did well over 100mph. :D

----------

You might if you knew what UPS does or allows to happen to packages inside the system. :D

11. xero9 macrumors 6502a

I recall mine last year going from China -> Alaska -> Kentucky -> Toronto so what the UPSer said makes 100% sense.

12. celly macrumors 6502

That all makes sense re: Anchorage. Good clarification.

FEDEX uses Memphis instead of Louisville (I've had past Apple shipments come via FEDEX).

I currently have some 5s accessories in Louisville with expected delivery of October 1. I was hoping the tracking info was wrong and it was actually the phone. Accessories don't normally come via China based on my past experience.

Wishful thinking.

My 5s leather case is coming via Ontario,Canada (I'm in Canada). Slated to be here tomorrow. The extra Lightning cords are coming via China (as above). Ordered those three days after the phone.

13. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

Worldport, Louisville, Kentucky,

The building between the two runways with the three extensions coming down and to the left. Direct hookup to the system for UPS aircraft.

Ontario California, West Coast Air Hub.

The planes to the south of the runway show the UPS ramp. The building south of the ramp (across the road) is the sort facility. Tugs take containers (L9, A2, and M1s) from the aircraft across the road (there's a bridge) to the facility and back again. Tugs usually pull three containers and each container can hold anywhere from 300 to about 1000 packages depending on the size of the container and the size of the packages. Smaller packages, like the iPhone will mean the containers hold a lot more.

Not that anyone cares…but I show this because I thoroughly enjoyed my time as a UPSer, despite management.

Attached Files:

14. DollaTwentyFive macrumors 6502a

Looks like they stopped in Cancun for a margarita. ;)

15. phobos512 macrumors regular

phobos512

Erm...Customs is all over the place. Every major airport, to start. I deal with Customs on a fairly regular basis.

Now, that's not to say that UPS may not have some deal with the particular AK Customs office but there's no reason they'd be required to go only to that one.

16. Gypsy36 macrumors regular

No one said customs was only in Alaska. UPS and Fed Ex have created customs hubs there because of its proximity to most destinations in North America.

17. sjinsjca macrumors 68000

sjinsjca

There's more to this than money, though of course earning some is the motivation of UPS and FedEx, and best of luck to 'em.

The technology and logistics that go into distribution of the past few days' magnitude is staggering. It requires massive, highly specialized facilities and immense technological investment. You can't just do what UPS and FedEx do from just any airport or warehouse. When you greet the delivery guy at your doorstep, you're witnessing the conclusion to an intricate global effort that's half ballet, half relay-race, not to mention instrumented and orchestrated through the highest of high technology.

And you probably didn't even pay for shipping. Astonishing stuff.

18. phobos512 macrumors regular

phobos512

That was the implication when the previous poster (formerly of UPS) said UPS and FedEx "must" fly there...

19. karmatourer macrumors 6502a

karmatourer

For the 5,via FEDEX,mine went China,China,Formosa (floating China),Narita,Anchorage,Memphis,Fort Myers and here.

20. skafia thread starter macrumors 6502

skafia

So here's the latest information from UPS.com. Flightaware.com shows that a Louisville flight left a few minutes ago and is scheduled to arrive in Ontario, CA in a few hours. Now, because ups.com shows that a connection was missed, is my package on that flight? The scheduled ETA is still the same, despite the connection missed.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Again, thanks for the info. This is pretty awesome.

----------

lol.

21. eyoungren, Sep 26, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 26, 2013

eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

You're right. I should have stated it a different way. I should have said something like "this is where FedEx and UPS fly their Apple shipments for customs."

Thanks for the correction!

----------

No problem! The missed schedule connection probably means that the aircraft was too late to make the sort or the schedule aircraft for that sort. If it missed the sort, it didn't make the aircraft it was schedule to fly out on originally. So they rolled it to the next sort or the next aircraft. The import scan to me would indicate that it's now been scanned by the next sort and might be on the aircraft you indicate. If you get a departure scan around that time then you'll know.

As an example. When I worked at Ontario I was on the 9pm to 1am sort (hours varied though). Colorado left at 12am and that was a hard deadline. If the trucks or aircraft were late a Colorado package either got belly loaded (loose) or it missed the aircraft entirely and had to wait until the next day.

We once had a NDA (Next Day Air) EAM (Early AM) Saturday Delivery package miss the 12am Saturday Colorado aircraft. That package sat in the hub until 12am Tuesday morning. Can't imagine the $$$ UPS had to pay the customer over that one.

22. Rocko1 macrumors 68020

Rocko1

This is why the average person does not plan UPS or any other companies flight route. It's not as easy as drawing a straight line from point A to point B. :mad:

23. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

That is true. What may look like a strange route to someone is actually a shorter route. People do not count the curvature of the earth into their concept of flight planning. What may be a direct route to them can actually be much farther in distance which eats fuel and wastes time.

24. skafia thread starter macrumors 6502

skafia

25. Loke2112 macrumors regular

Loke2112

Good info but I have a question. My 5S shipped from China to Korea, sat there for 4 days and then flew back to China before heading to Alaska. I came looking here for an explanation and saw your post. To me it just seems crazy. any idea why they would do that?

----------

I worked for UPS for all of like 30 days. Started unloading the trailers but within a week was top of the bel sorting and scanning. Crap was flying everywhere! Nuts!