Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bmaniara92

Suspended
Original poster
Jan 7, 2014
I recently upgraded my iPhone 5's firmware to 8.1.1 and I tried to jailbreak it with TaiG. Upon jailbreaking the iPhone, I had some issues. Every time I went into Cydia, I got this error message:

Encountered a section with no Package: header
Encountered a section with no Package: header
You may want to run apt-get update to correct these problems

When I try to download something, I get this error:

Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (2)

When I tried to restore my backup, iTunes told me it was corrupted, and it wouldn't restore. So now, I'm stuck with an iPhone 5 on 8.1.1 that is not properly jailbroken, and I can't restore my pre-jailbreak backup.

My iPhone 6 plus should be coming in the mail tomorrow. I'm wondering how I can go about jailbreaking this. I'm going to have to backup my current iPhone 5 and restore the iPhone 6 plus using that backup. If I do that, will this corrupted jailbreak carry over into the iPhone 6, or will it be ok? Would I then be able to jailbreak the iPhone 6?

Thanks in advance for your time and help! :)

bmaniara92

Suspended
Original poster
Jan 7, 2014
I've tried this. It doesn't work. I've tried many things. I can't even install Terminal to try and fix this internally. Seems like nothing I do will fix this issue. I think the only way to fix this issue is to completely restore my phone, which I don't want to do since I'll lose my messages and everything else, or to restore from my pre-jailbreak backup, which I can't do either since something went wrong with my backup.

So, rather than try and fix Cydia on my iPhone 5, I'm wondering if it's possible to get rid of the jailbreak when I get my iPhone 6 plus. Since the iPhone 6 plus is a different phone, I'm assuming that the jailbreak won't transfer over to the iPhone 6 plus, if I were to restore the new iPhone 6 plus from my iPhone 5's new backup. Am I correct to think that? Upon restoring my new iPhone 6 plus with my iPhone 5's new backup, will the jailbreak not transfer over, so that I can newly jailbreak my iPhone 6 plus? If not, is there any way for me to eliminate the jailbreak from my iPhone 5 without restoring from a backup, and without restoring to factory settings?

Tmlfan3

macrumors regular
Jan 6, 2013
While the JB itself doesn't transfer over in a backup. A lot of the background files (preferences, etc) for tweaks do so without knowing what the problem is I don't think you can say for sure it'll fix it

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.