I made an NTFS partition with Tuxera and now my disk seems to be unreadable

iRock1

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 23, 2011
I have a 1 TB WD My Passport Disk. I used to have two partitions on it—one for Time Machine backups and the other to carry files around (both are/were in HFS+). However, one day I made a third partition in NTFS using Disk Utility and Tuxera.

Until this point everything was great. I was able to put some movies in the NTFS partition and then I connected the disk to my TV, which played the video files without a problem.

The big trouble comes when I connect the disk to my Mac. OS X displays the following message:

If I click "Initialize...", Disk Utility opens up. After a while I'm able to see my external disk, though the HFS+ partitions appear greyed out. Then I run First Aid, but after the process is complete nothing changes.

While you could think of a hardware problem, I need to notice that the disk was working perfectly until I made the NTFS partition.

I deleted Tuxera from my Mac (ctrl+click on the preferences pane) and restarted my machine, hoping that would fix anything, but no.

Ideas? I just want to get to my HFS+ partitions and rescue my files!

UPDATE: Happy ending. See: #7

Last edited:

JohnDS

macrumors 65816
Oct 25, 2015
In Disk Utility, click on WD Passport 074, rather than on the Time Machine Volume and then run First Aid.

Fishrrman

macrumors P6
Feb 20, 2009
I'm sorry I don't have more advice to offer, but in the future, I would not "mix" Mac and non-Mac formats on the same physical drive.

Things just seem to go easier that way...

iRock1

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 23, 2011
Update:

You wouldn't guess, but at the end I solved this issue simply using the old Disk Utility app in Yosemite (verify disk and then repair disk). Apparently the new Disk Utility app in El Capitan doesn't do ****.

Glad I was wise enough to update my MacBook only and leave my iMac on Yosemite. Well, there you have another evidence that the latest release of OS X is pure crap.