I made my iphone 3g my "backup/spare phone" for now

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by aneftp, Aug 16, 2008.

1. aneftp macrumors 68040

I recently purchased the Nokia E71. It's a great little phone Wifi/GPS/ (US)3G/Full keyboard and small, built like a tank, and best of all, great battery life.

I find myself using the Apple iphone 3g less and less each day. Like other's have said, the RF issues along with the dropped calls from the 3g to EDGE switch have become rather bothersome. I can live with the iphone 3g battery life since I charge phones everyday. I just need a reliable phone 10-12 hours a day and so far the iPhone 3g has not lived up to it's potential.

I haven't given up on it all together but right now the phone has been demoted to weekend/backup phone status. It's still fun to play with and the internet/ipod are unrivaled. But as an everyday phone, I'm switching to my new Nokia E71 as my workhorse phone.

So who else has demoted their iphone 3g?

2. rKunda macrumors 65816

rKunda

3. Trajectory macrumors 6502a

Does that mean you're paying for 2 different phone plans?

4. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

I assume he's switching SIM cards. The only time I can imagine someone using more than one phone is if they have a nice phone (like an iPhone) and a crappy phone (like a Razr). The crappy phone would be for when you go hiking, camping, traveling, or anytime you think you may risk losing your phone.

5. rKunda macrumors 65816

rKunda

Oh, duh! I gorget you can do that after being with Verizon for years.

6. Trajectory macrumors 6502a

Ah, right! But, wouldn't you still be paying a lot more for an iPhone plan when you're not using an iPhone?

LOL! That's exactly the phone I just replaced with my iPhone. I've been using that Razr for nearly 5 years. It looked cool but the interface sucked. The Razr is now turned off and sitting in a drawer somewhere. No way I can go back.

7. marksman macrumors 603

marksman

Big fat keyboard. Check

Little tiny screen check.

Two reasons not to compare it to an iphone. Check.

8. mrmayor92 macrumors 6502

it actually looks like a nice phone

stop licking steve jobs balls

9. Opie macrumors 6502a

Opie

10. BrownManUPS macrumors 6502a

BrownManUPS

I have a Moto Razr ready to go in case my iPhone dies or something, but I only carry one device for all of my needs.

While a Nokia E71 is great, the amount of integration the iPhone has with my Mac is enough for me to use the iPhone as my #1 device...

11. aneftp thread starter macrumors 68040

I actually carry 2 (2 different numbers) phones with me 80% of the time. One is my BB Curve (with Tmobile) and the other is my ATT line (iphone 3g, Moto Q Global/Nokia E71/Moto V3xx) and I alternate phones all the time.

As for the Nokia E71-2, you should take a look at it at a Nokia Store (if you happen to live in a city like NYC or Chicago). It's build is very solid and it's thin and it's width is less than the BB Curve. Length is slightly more than the Curve. It's a very nice looking phone. Someone who does testing says they are testing it for ATT. Maybe ATT will have a subsidized version within the next 6 months.....however ATT seems to cripple Nokia phones by the time they get to the ATT system (IE Nokia E61 where ATT stripped the phone of it's WiFi or the totally butchered N75)

Yes it's overkill most of the time but I usually separate my business line with my personal line. But that's the beauty of GSM and unlocked phones.

And the Nokia E71 will probably hold me over until I can get a hand on the BB Bold. I'll probably carry 2 of the 3 phones (BB Bold/Nokia E71/iphone 3g) with me most of the time.

I'm not trying to compared Nokia E series vs. iphone 3g vs. BB Bold. They are all totally different phones each with it's pluses and minuses.

I still like my iphone 3g. I'm just not in love with it yet.

12. FJR macrumors regular

Are you a spy or something? Seriously.

13. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

Some people think they need more than they really do. In fact I bet he could do everything he needs with just one blackberry *but he likes to spend money on extra stuff and tries to justify the purchase*

14. FJR macrumors regular

I mean I can kind of understand the few people who have a BB and an iPhone, especially if they are issued their BB by work. But I think even that is mostly overkill. having 5 phones on two different lines is just absurd. But I mean I guess it makes him happy, so have at it. :)

15. aneftp thread starter macrumors 68040

I added the Tmobile BB line as an add-on (9.99) through my brother's line. And I have ATT as my primary line. So it really doesn't cost that much money.

I like to separate my business contacts from my personal contacts.

16. PNutts macrumors 601

PNutts

Apples and oranges (ha ha), but not in a bad way. We evaluated the E62 and it turned out to have too many deficiencies. The E71 looks pretty sweet and I would like to see one in person, but our company is locked to AT&T. :( IMHO the iPhone was never designed to be a crackberry knockoff for the road warrier. For me the features iPhone adds outweigh the ones left behind.

17. jdcrow711 macrumors regular

exactly - the bb is work issued so I carry both a 3g and a bb world edition

18. question fear macrumors 68020

question fear

The iPhone plan is exactly the same as the regular AT&T smartphone plan, you pay the same if it's a Blackjack, a Moto Q, an E71 or an iPhone.